270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zion

United States - 1976

DEMS.jpg

REPS.jpg

RUN.jpg

RESULT.jpg

i need a few people to Beta test. Anyone?

i wish people would upload these so we could all try them......

email me at ahduke99@gmail.com cause i'd love to try it.

I find some crazy percentages in states. Birch Bayh has 0.567916690210464 in Arkansas. What? And Byrd has a negative amount in Maryland.

I could be wrong, and to be honest, probably am, but was Jimmy Carter such a heavy favrite at the beginning of the race?

I'd also like to see candidates have a more solid base in their home state.

Overall, I like it. I'll let you know how my campaigns turn out.

I could be wrong, and to be honest, probably am, but was Jimmy Carter such a heavy favrite at the beginning of the race?

Carter was pretty far ahead when the general election got going. The Republicans weren't 100% sure who the nominee would be until the convention and Ford had a bit of the Watergate stigma attached to him. He was closing steadily until Ford insisted in a televised debate that Poland wasn't under Soviet domination and stuck to that mistaken opinion even after being questioned further by the moderator.

As a moderately amusing side note, I saw Ford give a speech in 1992 in which he said "I can now say, without fear of contradiction, that Poland is not under Soviet domination." He got a nice laugh.

Just a couple things I've noticed right off the bat- all the candidates are 50 years old, and even though the republicans need 1135 delegates to win, both start with the nomination locked up despite only having 1125 and 1123. Also, tons of crazy %'s.

Haven't started playing yet, but it looks good.

bayh-beat-ford.png

The primary season was tough. I won New Hampshire, and rode that momentum to a lot of victories in the middle states. A Mo Udall endorsement on the week before the convention put me over the top.

I very much like how the convention states are set up. :D

In the general, it took me a few tries to get over the top. I have reached the conclusion that Pennsylvania is going to be Republican, no matter how hard you try.

All in all, I liked it. Though I think Eugene is too strong.

It's a good scenario. My only concern is that, as Carter, I didn't win any of the first couple primaries and still cruised to victory. In the real primary, Carter's strategy was to always win at least one state every time there was voting to get momentum. Perhaps the momentum could be tweaked to give a penalty for failing to win the first couple states.

Perhaps the momentum could be tweaked to give a penalty for failing to win the first couple states.

The game engine fails to handle that properly, not placing enough of a momentum boost on the earliest couple of primaries.

Nor can the event engine be tied to external events (i.e. "If Carter Loses Iowa Then -100 Momentum" is impossible).

Unfortunately both are limitations of the engine itself, and not the scenario.

The game engine fails to handle that properly, not placing enough of a momentum boost on the earliest couple of primaries.

Nor can the event engine be tied to external events (i.e. "If Carter Loses Iowa Then -100 Momentum" is impossible).

Unfortunately both are limitations of the engine itself, and not the scenario.

Gotcha....In that case its pretty cool.

As always I like the scenario and appreciate the hard work put into it, but I do have some critiques (most of 1988s probably still apply). That said, my roommate and I had a blast and a nail-biter of a game, so it certainly plays well.

Right off the bat, in map colour, Democrats were Red in 1976 and Republicans were Blue.

Also, none of Reagan's crusaders cost any PIP or have the usual 100 day time limit.

I won as Reagan against my roommate who had Carter (albeit with Ted Kennedy as VP) and there are a couple things to note. It was close down to the wire, but I hoarded 8 million and went 12 million more into debt over the last day (the reason ads are usually turned off 2-3 days before the vote is to set up the Blank Out Of Funds headlines if you try to do what I did—you see I had no punishment for going deep into debt) and hit Carter with a medium scandal and got a Big Mo' headline, the second of the game. This swung it from 174-173 to 145-394 with all undecided states and Carter's California going to Reagan.

I think if Reagan had defeated Ford at the convention, then there would be some kind of penalty. A simple "Reagan Wins Nomination, Defeats Sitting President" with Republican momentum of, say, -500 would work.

Newspapers have a few mistakes (I recommend using the 1992 Newspaper list when '92 is released, as that's the best version. In order of quality[1]: 2008/2004 --> 2000 --> 1992). Some governors endorse late—that's when they were elected?

You could include both outgoing and incoming governor (I'm reasonably sure I've considered doing that, but never actually did that in a scenario) and basically have a double endorser for a few states.

[1] i.e. From Blank Went with Al Gore to Blank is a generally liberal paper. Duplications, mistakes, misspellings, and so forth have all generally been corrected by 1992.

Right off the bat, in map colour, Democrats were Red in 1976 and Republicans were Blue.

Isn't map color completely arbitrary? To quote Dave's Leip excellent atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections- "The colors are only a key to the candidates that win each state, county or municipality... there is no significance in the color representation for a given party."

Not entirely arbitrary as in 1976 Democrats were represented by Red and Republicans by Blue and maps, TV returns, etc… all followed that colour scheme. It gives the scenario the proper historical feeling.

More stuff:

The FEC public funds for 1976 was a total of 44 million, that is 22 million each (instead of 44 million each, as you have it). You can adjust the cost of things downward to adjust, of course. Television can move from 1.0 to 0.8 and bump everything else down on the cost scale, for example.

Carter started the general far ahead, but in your scenario the start is pretty even. Given the number of candidates in the Democratic race this does make it hard to use Democratic events to play balance. So instead of Carter specific "Playboy" and "Blanket Pardon to draft dodgers" events (though I would add those for flavour) perhaps set the Republicans well back, but give generic events: "Nation Rallies Behind President" "Speech From The Rose Garden" for Ford, and "Reagan: Democrats Soft On Commies & Draft Dodgers" and the like.

This means the Democratic Red should cover most of the map, but week by week no matter what Carter/whoever does more and more Blue comes through until the last week or two of the campaign with no more events and a dead heat.

I suggest playbalancing via a hotseat (or the new networking add-on) game because the computer is meh.

Does anyone else have certain candidates registering as having negative poll numbers? For example, I just opened a game and Bentsen's national poll support is -0.221440502364696%.

Does anyone else have certain candidates registering as having negative poll numbers? For example, I just opened a game and Bentsen's national poll support is -0.221440502364696%.

Yeah, some of the candidates are listed with -1 as support in some states and it's throwing everything off. Change them all to 0s and you should be fine.