270soft Forum

Access violation at addres 004BF807 in module 'p4e.exe'. Read of address 00000014

That's my problem with the scenario, sorry :(. It crashes the game. You can hit OK, but hitting any button brings the same error back up.

It happened in the late primaries with Clinton becoming Obama's VP, and down to Gingrich and Romney on the Republican side with Romney refusing to withdraw despite having no chance to win a majority of delegates.

In actual feedback on the game:

Gingrich has too little money and too much stamina.

Guilani's hold on New York is a little weak.

Al Gore has too little money.

Unfortunately I was playing a rather epic hotseat game with my roommate (Obama (me) versus Edwards (him), Gingrich (me) versus Huckabee (him)) and so I didn't spend as much time working on feedback as I could have.

That is the first report of that error. It may have to do with the double hotseating.

I have not yet balanced or analyzed what-if candidates.

Thanks for playing. :)

Heh, I managed to get Richardson to snake out a victory in the primary, by winning New Hampshire, and getting third across the boards. I then convinced Obama and Edwards that I'd be better than Hillary, lol.

I played as Bloomberg and managed to convince Rudy Giuliani to be my running mate. Strangely enough, this did more to hurt the Democratic vote than anything else.

The Republicans ended up nominating Romney, and the Democrats chose Edwards.

In the end, Bloomberg won 40% of the popular vote carrying the states of CA, NV, CO, MN, IL, IN, OH, FL, VA, DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI and ME. Unfortunately this totaled out to exactly 269 electoral votes, and was only a few thousand votes short of winning in Washington.

So it went to the Congress, who obviously chose Edwards, despite the fact that he had only won four states (WA, NM, VT, MA) with a total of 31 electoral votes, and only got 27% of the popular vote.

I played as Bloomberg and managed to convince Rudy Giuliani to be my running mate. Strangely enough, this did more to hurt the Democratic vote than anything else.

The Republicans ended up nominating Romney, and the Democrats chose Edwards.

In the end, Bloomberg won 40% of the popular vote carrying the states of CA, NV, CO, MN, IL, IN, OH, FL, VA, DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI and ME. Unfortunately this totaled out to exactly 269 electoral votes, and was only a few thousand votes short of winning in Washington.

So it went to the Congress, who obviously chose Edwards, despite the fact that he had only won four states (WA, NM, VT, MA) with a total of 31 electoral votes, and only got 27% of the popular vote.

Election of 1824.

"Corrupt bargaining!" :)

Heh, I managed to get Richardson to snake out a victory in the primary, by winning New Hampshire, and getting third across the boards. I then convinced Obama and Edwards that I'd be better than Hillary, lol.

Yep. Alliances seem to be the only way to bring down Hillary. :)

After a couple tries I won the GOP nomination as McCain. Very tough to do, let me tell you. I came close the very first game, but with plenty of states to go Romney endorsed Guiliani which put him over the top. Guiliani won every time. I think the only reason Romney didn't is because my strategy involved stopping him in the early states whereby he didn't get enough momentum to take the Feb. 5 states from Guiliani.

In the game that I won, Romney still took Iowa, Nevada, and Wyoming, but I took New Hampshire, Michigan, and South Carolina. I won those three states (all but SC were close) by saturating them with footsoldiers and direct mailings. That gave us each enough momentum to win some Feb. 5 states (Guiliani got the most, then me, then Romney with Thompson and Huckabee winning a handful). I got Thompson and Huckabee to endorse me after that and a few turns later Romney surprised me by offering an endorsement. I'd really been running a shoestring campaign until then, but the money started to roll in and I was able to compete with Guiliani in the remaining states and win the key ones (PA, OH, IL) to give me enough delegates. Very challenging!

It seems like just as on the Democratic side, the only way to bring down the frontrunner is to rack up endorsements from the other candidates.

I've played through the general election a few times, and as such a couple nitpicks.

The first is Newspaper headlines: They Should Be Written Like This With Each Word Capitalized, Not like this with only the first word capitalized. They're headlines, not sentences.

Too few crusaders, I feel.

Too few undecided voters appear to lead to wild swings in the general election. For example going +-7% a week for several weeks without even visiting the state? Very odd.

My suggestion would be to increase the number of undecided voters and eliminate leaning voters (my guess is that you eliminated undecided voters in favour of leaning and committed voters only?) and see if that reduces the swings. Perhaps have around 5% of voters uncommitted?

The current game is very much hit or miss wondering if the state will have a crazy swing back to you, without you having done anything.

Further not having undecided voters (I think) leads to barnstorming and speeches actually causing voters to flee from you. Perhaps increase barnstorming strength?

Several times during play we noted that our candidates simply staying away from states entirely resulted in improved performance.

Advertising costs are much more in line with the real world, but now feel underpowered. To be sure I feel advertising is overpowered for what it costs in the default scenario, but now I feel it's underpowered. Entirely subjective, I admit.

Why 65 million instead of 75 million?

Nitpicks aside we've had a number of good human-on-human games, so the scenario does work well.

LATEST VERSION: v. 1.2.4

Post your e-mail to receive the revamped 2008 Gold scenario with updated candidates, percentages, and issues. This has been in the works on and off since May 2007. In creating this scenario, I aimed for a better simulation. Through intensive changes in the game's mechanics and numbers, the primaries and general election are now more static and closer. Third and fourth tier candidates will no longer suddenly become front-runner, and third party candidates will receive neglible votes in the general election as it should be. The latest polls for individual states were incorporated.

It has been fun watching the primaries each time. Often, the nominee (especially for the Democrats) is not chosen until the convention. And with the tightness, an endorsement and dropout of another candidate can make or break a potential nominee. The general election is another fun toss-up to watch.

Issues: As I tweaked the game through hands-off tests by just watching results, numbers such as fundraising and costs may not be appropriate for the human player. As such, I need direct player input for that. For handsoff tests, I used George Phillies of the Libertarian Party.

Special thanks to CLARK/BAYH2008 and TheorySpark for using their material for inspiration.

Sure, you can send it to me. debbie@the-peterson-group.com. But on the email could you please tell me if its slanted to the right or the left. And does it have the features on the current scenario?

I played two times as Kubby or Peroutka; both ended with a Romney/Clinton match-up. I do think that Bloomberg's numbers are too inflated.

Bloomberg and all other "fantasy" candidates are holdovers from previous scenario creators. I have not balanced or touched them at all. One day, I may take a look. :)

I will hopefully have a new version including a December scenario released in a week or so. I am trying to figure out how to model Mike Huckabee's rapid ascent. I am exploring scripted events right now.

i tried editing huckabee's stats in candidate editor and some reason he always starts off at 15% and then rapidly declines back to the 5% he had before. i obviously am not doing it properly.