270soft Forum

Skywalker-

Yes, you lose all your money if you don't use it during the primary. The reason for this is rather anachronistic. P4E + P is still operating under the assumption that when candidates enter the general election they will opt to use public funds. This is why both candidates start with $75 million and fundraising is turned off during the general. The reason I say this is anachronistic is because the last time both candidates used public funds for the general election was in 1996. On the flipside though, I think we can all agree it's no fun to fundraise until you have a $1 billion and then run TV ads in all states. It's a problem some of us have brought to TheorySpark's attention and hopefully they will look into it.

I have no idea what Town Halls do. I remember they being in the original P4E, they were kind of like barnstorming. And yes, the wave of purple issues is another problem others have pointed out.

I do agree that Fred Thompson deserves crusaders.

Skywalker-

Yes, you lose all your money if you don't use it during the primary. The reason for this is rather anachronistic. P4E + P is still operating under the assumption that when candidates enter the general election they will opt to use public funds. This is why both candidates start with $75 million and fundraising is turned off during the general. The reason I say this is anachronistic is because the last time both candidates used public funds for the general election was in 1996. On the flipside though, I think we can all agree it's no fun to fundraise until you have a $1 billion and then run TV ads in all states. It's a problem some of us have brought to TheorySpark's attention and hopefully they will look into it.

I have no idea what Town Halls do. I remember they being in the original P4E, they were kind of like barnstorming. And yes, the wave of purple issues is another problem others have pointed out.

I do agree that Fred Thompson deserves crusaders.

Actually NO candidate has ever declined the public funding for the GENERAL election not even Bush or Kerry in 2004. For the primary yes but not the general. Gore even took public matching funds in the PRIMARY in 2000

Great job! Really adds to the game!

A couple small things...it looks like "none" of the "new" candidates have crusaders, not just Thompson. I've been playing as the libertarians, independent, etc, just to see the outcomes, and saw they had no crusaders.

I get an error when I use the townhouse, everytime. I can keep playing, I just get an error. It's never mentioned in my list of things that happened that week, so I'm not sure whether it's counting it as a rest day or the townhouse.

I've had some "very" unlikely endorsements...President Bush has endorsed Hilary Clinton. Nancy Pelosi endorsed Guiliani. That sort of thing.

And I know this has been mentioned already, but there are too many events. Maybe one or two a month would be a better formula?

But overall, I'm enjoying it! Keep up the great work!

this sounds great, as i would like to use this as a simulation as well as a game. with the original i was able to win iowa with biden and go on to fight with Hillary until the convention. hope this is different.

hcallega@yahoo.com

Hello,

It seems I can't download it with hotmail <_< .

Can you resend the file to:

crowbar129@gmail.com

Thanks,

CrowBar

I got it and tried it over the weekend. Pretty cool if you're playing one of the front runners. Kinda pointless when I tried Ron Paul because every time I ordered the candidate to do something (work on issue knowledge, debate prep, barnstorm, fund raise or develop campaign one I got some cash), it didn't happen. For some reason the order was ignored, although I did get money for the "unused CP". I got the same result trying to run Kubby, the Libertarian.

I do not know why this happens. This may take a while to fix, though I have successfully made him barnstorm.

v. 1.1.0

-----------

-added/removed Crusaders

-tweaked endorsers

-fixed town hall bug (may remove later)

-removed events

-fixed Fred Thompson's age

-updated candidates' funds

-updated poll numbers (specifically how Guiliani ad others have narrowed the gap between them and Romney in New Hampshire and Iowa)

-gave Ron Paul some stats

-Iowa caucuses moved Jan 14 -> Jan 3

-New Hampshire primaries moved Jan 22 -> Jan 8

-Nevada primaries moved Jan 19 -> Jan 12

-South Carolina Democratic primary moved Jan. 29 -> Jan. 19

This is a bit asinine, but do you think that the League of Conservation Voters should start off with 50 for Al Gore?

I inherited the endorsers from TheorySpark and ClarkBayh2008, so there are still many errors/inaccuracies that I have not gotten to yet.

I do not know why this happens. This may take a while to fix, though I have successfully made him barnstorm.

It sometimes happens on official scenarios, though less pervasively. I've never had it happen on Clark/Bayh's. Whatever the difference is between those must be the answer.

my God is it impossible to beat romney on this or what. i'm losing states when i'm up 40-19 in the polls over him and he's winning 40.5% to 40.0%

i haven't beat him yet as giuliani....once he wins iowa, he goes on to win the nomination. he secures a +15 momentum and never looks back. all the scandals you find on him are low power. before iowa i had 1500+ delegates and i ended up winning 254 with romney running the table on the rest. i think i won ny, nj, and dc. FLA was the biggest loss as I was leading 41% - 21% the day before the election and lost.

my God is it impossible to beat romney on this or what. i'm losing states when i'm up 40-19 in the polls over him and he's winning 40.5% to 40.0%

i haven't beat him yet as giuliani....once he wins iowa, he goes on to win the nomination. he secures a +15 momentum and never looks back. all the scandals you find on him are low power. before iowa i had 1500+ delegates and i ended up winning 254 with romney running the table on the rest. i think i won ny, nj, and dc. FLA was the biggest loss as I was leading 41% - 21% the day before the election and lost.

I am lowering Romney's stats (charisma and integrity) for the next version. It might help, but many believe that it is Romney's dominance in the early states that will propel him to the nomination.

I've run your newest scenario countless times, watching as Kubby (but not actually playing), and it ALWAYS goes like this:

Romney wins the Republican nomination, hands down. Clinton looks set to take the democrat right up to the end, with Edwards and Obama still in the race, pretty much tied...and then Edwards endorses Obama, giving him the nomination, right before the primary.

After the primaries, Romney always looks like he'll take well over 300 electoral votes...but then as election day approaches, a bunch of states turn white and it looks like it'll be close. Then on election day, Romney wins the election with at least 400 electoral votes.

There was ONE exception, though. I didn't do anything different, but one time Edwards got the nomination...and then managed to split the electoral votes with Romney on election day, 269 to 269. Edwards became President because it's a Democrat congress.

However...

When I plug in your candidate numbers (money, Political points, charisma, etc) into the 2008 beta scenario...not the state percentages, just the candidates...it's ALWAYS Romney vs. EDWARDS, instead of Obama. And Romney still kills on election day.

Of course...who knows?

That may be how it actually goes in the coming months. In which case, you'll look like a genius! ;c)

I'll take this please: asarnstrom@yahoo.com

You may want to add the Green Party with former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney as she has now said that she will seek the party's nomination.

ok .. i finally managed to beat romney by like 5 delagates which gave me the nomination. indiana, oregon, mississippi, and idaho. i was able to pour all my resources into those states and won indiana, oregon, and mississippi, securing the nomination for rudy by, like i said, 5 delagates. i then tried pouring all i had into iowa early on and and NH and still lost it, albeit by a small margin, to romney.

i did discover that for some reason giuliani had a rating of 1 and 0 on all his attributes, but even then by increasing them i still lost except for that one time.

@Actinguy: That sounds quite strange. Are you using 1.1.0? I have never seen such lopsided results, except maybe with 1.0.0. Maybe 300 EVs for a candidate at the most...

I will investigate though. I need to tamp down Romney's attributes as well as investigate these endorsers. I used Clark/Bayh2008's set, and I think they are probably saturated, imbalanced, and inaccurate. I will probably just switch over to TheorySpark's. I fear endorsers are giving Romney huge momentum.

@ahduke: Guiliani's stats should not be ones and zeros. :huh:

Romney is a formidable candidate. Try setting a scandal on him in the next version (1.2.0).

@Actinguy: That sounds quite strange. Are you using 1.1.0? I have never seen such lopsided results, except maybe with 1.0.0. Maybe 300 EVs for a candidate at the most...

I will investigate though. I need to tamp down Romney's attributes as well as investigate these endorsers. I used Clark/Bayh2008's set, and I think they are probably saturated, imbalanced, and inaccurate. I will probably just switch over to TheorySpark's. I fear endorsers are giving Romney huge momentum.

@ahduke: Guiliani's stats should not be ones and zeros. :huh:

Romney is a formidable candidate. Try setting a scandal on him in the next version (1.2.0).

Yes, I'm using 1.1.0. I may have exaggerated about 400 evs, but certainly over 300 is the rule, not the exception.

Incidentally, I've noticed Guiliani have all 1s as well...but not under your scenario. It was under the BASE scenario. So I used your stats and plugged them into the base game.

So...maybe there's a flaw in the initial programming, resetting certain stats?

Is anyone else noticing Hilary Clinton is 100 years old in the base game?

I am still highly confused.

base = TheorySpark's default 2008 scenario?

Ha, sorry.

Actually, I was using TheorySpark's 2008 beta scenario, and saw Guiliani was ranked a 1 across the board, plus a lot of ages are WAY off...though it may actually go as far back as the default 2008 scenario.

My theory is there is a bug in the game itself (not a specific scenario) that may be randomly jacking up candidate settings.

Ha, sorry.

Actually, I was using TheorySpark's 2008 beta scenario, and saw Guiliani was ranked a 1 across the board, plus a lot of ages are WAY off...though it may actually go as far back as the default 2008 scenario.

My theory is there is a bug in the game itself (not a specific scenario) that may be randomly jacking up candidate settings.

Crappers. Should get TheorySpark to look at that.

Meanwhile, now that Gore has won a Nobel Peace Prize, I may just spruce up his files (have not ever touched them) to get them in line with the other candidates, though most of it will be highly speculative.