270soft Forum

LATEST VERSION: v. 2.0.4 beta

(DISCONTINUED; Version 3 continued by CountArach here -> http://80soft.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9891 )

Post your e-mail to receive the revamped 2008 Gold scenario with updated candidates, percentages, and issues. This has been in the works on and off since May 2007. In creating this scenario, I aimed for a better simulation. Through intensive changes in the game's mechanics and numbers, the primaries and general election are now more static and closer. Third and fourth tier candidates will no longer suddenly become front-runner, and third party candidates will receive neglible votes in the general election as it should be. The latest polls for individual states were incorporated.

It has been fun watching the primaries each time. Often, the nominee (especially for the Democrats) is not chosen until the convention. And with the tightness, an endorsement and dropout of another candidate can make or break a potential nominee. The general election is another fun toss-up to watch.

Issues: As I tweaked the game through hands-off tests by just watching results, numbers such as fundraising and costs may not be appropriate for the human player. As such, I need direct player input for that. For handsoff tests, I used George Phillies of the Libertarian Party.

Special thanks to CLARK/BAYH2008 and TheorySpark for using their material for inspiration.

v. 2.0.4 beta (December scenario only)

-----------

-updated numbers, albeit incomplete

-revised existing VPs' attributes

-VPs added: Tim Pawlenty (R-McCain), Ted Strickland (D-Clinton), Bobby Jindal ®, Wesley Clark (D-Clinton), Tim Kaine (D-Obama), Joe Liebermann (R-McCain)

-Crusaders added: Chelsea Clinton (Clinton), Joe Liebermann (McCain)

-Crusaders removed for Richardson, Dodd, Giuliani, Thompson, Hunter, Tancredo

NOTE: This quick incomplete attempt at a new release should be my last one as the scenario transitions over to the stewardship of CountArach. The problems with TheorySpark's current engine are very frustrating. For example, the AI likes to not spend its money sometimes. Obama might have a $20 million advantage over Clinton, but you might see him sit on his money while Clinton airs 50 ads to his 5 on the runup to Super Tuesday. Bizarre. Meanwhile, the game will give all the 10-20 points of undecided voters to any ole candidate on the night of the vote. Even more bizarre. Until the TheorySpark fixes its engine or at least gives modders more power over finetuning the engine's calculations and modifiers, I shall give up for now.

v. 2.0.3 (December scenario only)

-----------

-tweaked fundraising down a little bit

-Giuliani weakened

-Huckabee weakened

-Thompson weakened

-McCain strengthened

-Clinton strengthened

-fixed some delegate counts

-New Hampshire now a little more right on tax issues

-Crusader Bill Clinton strengthened

-Crusader Oprah Winfrey strengthened

-other stuff

NOTE: The quickfix is here. Obviously, not every primary/caucus will turn out exactly as in real life, but it should be close enough. A quick runthrough has the Obama-Clinton race much more closer. Meanwhile, McCain will get the Big Mo, and it is assumed that he will have a big win on Super Tuesday. Have fun, and hopefully the scenario will finally get polished once the nomination contest settles down.

As noticed, the update is only for the December scenario. Starting in October is a whole other game, so that is not the priority right now. I will try to port over some of the changes to the October scenario, but it will probably require whole different set of numbers and fine-tuning.

v. 2.0.1

-----------

-changed general election percentages to hopefully make games more competitive after official engine and user scenario were changed

-fundraising now easier and more bountiful (should now be easy for a top tier candidate to raise $2+ million a week if they put time into it)

-developing campaign easier on the health, but harder on the wallet

-tried to weaken Romney a little bit; heavy primary balancing will come later, though main problems have to do with the game itself

v. 2.0.0

-----------

-Added new Gold December scenario

-made McCain more competitive

NOTE: My least polished release with not much balance testing; just felt like releasing a version where McCain could pull an upset in New Hampshire. Hopefully, I will release a more polished version with my pending to-do-list of changes by the end of the week, but New Years celebrations may stop that. If so, will probably wait for Iowa and New Hampshire to vote. ;)

v. 1.3.0

-----------

-updated percentages w/ poll numbers

-balanced/changed candidate attributes

-added scripted events (VERY DETERMINISTIC)

-updated endorsers

-updated primary/caucus dates and # of delegates

-added debate dates

-removed most obsolete/unsupported candidates

-updated platforms and issue centers

-replaced Stem Cell issue w/ Business Tax

-added profile bonuses/maluses for certain primary/caucus victories (Iowa, New Hampshire, etc.)

-updated economic situation

-added fundraising bonuses for certain issue positions

-updated nation profiles of certain issues

-tweaked ad/activity costs and effects (more testing needed)

NOTE: TOTALLY REVAMPED the situation for Democratic and Republican candidates. Clinton's lead is now much more tenuous, and dark horse candidate Huckabee will have a powerful surge. Of course, there are great difficulties with trying to get the game engine go the way you want over such a large period of time. However, it will hopefully be accurate enough. Then again, the actual results are anyone's guess both ingame and in real life. For example, McCain may pull an upset in New Hampshire in real life due to Romney's weakening in Iowa, but as of now, cannot really do so in the game. As noted, the new events are very deterministic. May suck if you are playing the candidates that are artificially handicapped.

The December 1 scenario will come by the end of the week if all goes well. Getting things to run smoothly from October was harder than expected.

Merry Christmas!

-Jayavarman

v. 1.2.4

-----------

-updated percentages w/ poll numbers with focus on third-tier candidates (Huckabee, Paul, Biden, Kucinich given some points here or there)

-once again totally revamped general election percentages and numbers (hope it's not broken)

-more PIP for Clinton; less for Obama and Edwards

-rearranged order of candidates in display and selection

-Gilmore turned off by default

-fixed Ron Paul's age and upgraded some of his stats

-changed economic change chances to reflect credit meltdown and falling dollar (unbalancing?)

-fixed some bugs

Note: Even with drastic modification of numbers and defined variables, some state-specific results still end up outside the margin of error every now and then (for example a ten point drop in a state during the general election; oh well)

v. 1.2.1

-----------

-Rhode Island primaries moved March 4 -> Feb 5

-adjusted some starting funds numbers

-new picture for Ron Paul + money (representing surge this quarter)

-Governor of Louisiana now Republican

-Governor of Kentucky now Democratic

-tweaked general election percentages and numbers (hope it's not broken)

v. 1.2.0

-----------

-updated polling numbers

-replaced endorsers with default TheorySpark endorsers

-removed Town Hall activity

-updated some platforms

-tweaked down candidate stats

-updated some candidate starting funds

-Brownback turned off by default

Notes: Overall, Romney machine should not be so inevitable in primary. Guiliani has a better chance. Huckabee also given some more chances. Clinton is more powerful as her leads in polls has only grown.

v. 1.1.0

-----------

-added/removed Crusaders

-tweaked endorsers

-fixed town hall bug (may remove later)

-removed events

-fixed Fred Thompson's age

-updated candidates' funds

-updated poll numbers (specifically how Guiliani ad others have narrowed the gap between them and Romney in New Hampshire and Iowa)

-gave Ron Paul some stats

-Iowa caucuses moved Jan 14 -> Jan 3

-New Hampshire primaries moved Jan 22 -> Jan 8

-Nevada primaries moved Jan 19 -> Jan 12

-South Carolina Democratic primary moved Jan. 29 -> Jan. 19

v. 1.0.1

-----------

-percentages tweaked

• Upvote 1

It has been fun watching the primaries each time. Often, the nominee (especially for the Democrats) is not chosen until the convention. And with the tightness, an endorsement and dropout of another candidate can make or break a potential nominee. The general election is another fun toss-up to watch.

BTW, I have done some tweaks for 1.0.1. It is mostly to give the Dems a little boost in the general election, as the previous numbers were causing too much skewing of the results to Republicans.

Hi there! You've already e-mailed the new version to me (Actinguy@hotmail.com)...but when I try to download it, I get a pop-up saying my virus checker is unable to scan the attachment, as there are too many zipped files.

Naturally, I trust you but I can't figure out how to download it without the virus check.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Ted

Hi there! You've already e-mailed the new version to me (Actinguy@hotmail.com)...but when I try to download it, I get a pop-up saying my virus checker is unable to scan the attachment, as there are too many zipped files.

Naturally, I trust you but I can't figure out how to download it without the virus check.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Ted

I am not familiar with Hotmail. There is nothing I can do about number of files, as they are what make the scenario. :wacko:

I got it and tried it over the weekend. Pretty cool if you're playing one of the front runners. Kinda pointless when I tried Ron Paul because every time I ordered the candidate to do something (work on issue knowledge, debate prep, barnstorm, fund raise or develop campaign one I got some cash), it didn't happen. For some reason the order was ignored, although I did get money for the "unused CP". I got the same result trying to run Kubby, the Libertarian.

NOW = ???

National Organisation of Women. It had a problem in CLARK/BAYH's version where it starts off with Hillary at 50, but always endorses a Republican.

I got it and tried it over the weekend. Pretty cool if you're playing one of the front runners. Kinda pointless when I tried Ron Paul because every time I ordered the candidate to do something (work on issue knowledge, debate prep, barnstorm, fund raise or develop campaign one I got some cash), it didn't happen. For some reason the order was ignored, although I did get money for the "unused CP". I got the same result trying to run Kubby, the Libertarian.

Strange. I will do some actual playtesting and see what's up.

But yeah. This scenario is geared much more towards the front-runners for playing as third-tier candidates are severely handicapped. This also something to be evaluated with more testing.

National Organisation of Women. It had a problem in CLARK/BAYH's version where it starts off with Hillary at 50, but always endorses a Republican.

Seems simple enough. Will fix.

Hotmail doesn't work.

Try Yahoo, or Gmail, or something else, but Hotmail simply doesn't work with the sending of files.

If Jayavarman wanted, Rapidshare would be one way to send out the files.

Hotmail doesn't work.

Try Yahoo, or Gmail, or something else, but Hotmail simply doesn't work with the sending of files.

If Jayavarman wanted, Rapidshare would be one way to send out the files.

I opted for mass e-mailings since it is a better way of getting in touch with people compared to the low activity of this board.

I opted for mass e-mailings since it is a better way of getting in touch with people compared to the low activity of this board.

Okay, I've created a Yahoo account.

Actinguy2@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Hello there.

Can you send it to me to?:

georilla2@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!

- CrowBar

I responded to the email with this note - wondering if someone can help me with these issues I had:

Hello there,

I hadn't used these much up to this point, but gave it a shot last

night. Just a few questions about money: 1) Do I lose all money I

don't spend during the primary season? It just seems to disappear. 2)

I ran out of money in the general election really quickly compared to

the regular scenarios. I think the ad money must have been much

higher and I didn't even notice, and then 3) there was no fundraising

oppurtunties after the conventions? I had run out of money and then

was stuck in one spot for the rest of the game (no background

fundraising was done either).

Also two more things: 1) What do the town halls do? 2) with all the

events happening by the end of the game 75% of the issues are in the

very important category, and that's not very realistic. IMO

Thanks for all the hard work there.

Another intersting note was that Fred Thompson has no available crusaders... I think it's impossible to really win without crusaders...