270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cosmonewman

New Candidates???

You should try one of the custom user made 2008 scenario in the mod forum.

I have an excellent one in the works that actually keeps in more realistic line with polling without too many silly aberrations, but I need to revamp the actions system. I am seeking to incorporate such things as the increasing web component of campaigns as well as more accurate platforms for candidates and states.

I heard from an 80soft rep that a forthcoming patch will freshen up the lineup of candidates, to correct most of the current "oversights."

I'm glad; I know most of them can't win, but I think it's always fun to play as an underdog, like say the GOP's Mike Huckabee or Wisconsin's Tommy Thompson, neither of them currently in the game.

I've also dropped 80soft a note encouraging them to add a true independent run into the 2008 scenario by Giuliani clone Michael Bloomberg... a suggestion I hope they take to heart, as it could be fun.

I heard from an 80soft rep that a forthcoming patch will freshen up the lineup of candidates, to correct most of the current "oversights."

I'm glad; I know most of them can't win, but I think it's always fun to play as an underdog, like say the GOP's Mike Huckabee or Wisconsin's Tommy Thompson, neither of them currently in the game.

I've also dropped 80soft a note encouraging them to add a true independent run into the 2008 scenario by Giuliani clone Michael Bloomberg... a suggestion I hope they take to heart, as it could be fun.

The latest patch for the scenario is great - I've just played as both of the above (MH and TT) and won really thumping majorities with both. It's nice that the scenario finally feels up to date (there only seem to be a few people with no chance at all not included now).

Bloomberg would be fun - I miss playing as Ross Perot in the 92 campaign.

Yeah, that's all I meant. I think as many of the candidates on both sides ought to be in the game, no matter how unlikely their chances are to win.

There's still 2-3 MIA GOP candidates and 2-3 MIA DEM candidates...

Yeah, there's rumors that Bloomberg and Chuck Hagel are interested in a Unity '08 nomination. It would be neat to include that into the game as a stronger-than-usual third party.

Whether they'd be stronger than usual -- say on an H. Ross Perot scale -- is not the point, for me. The point is to see the game reflect the full political landscape of 2008.

And speaking of that... I wonder where Nader is...? The only third-parties in the game currently are right-leaning.

We will be adding the other candidates with later updates. A strong independent challenger scenario (such as Bloomberg/Hagel) might happen if it looks likely to happen in real life.

The 80soft Team

Please, PLEASE add Ron Paul. The net savvy people that play this game also tend to lean toward Ron Paul, as shown by his strong netroots supports. We want to play Paul!

Thanks for the feedback - we intend to add Paul in the next update.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Please, PLEASE add Ron Paul. The net savvy people that play this game also tend to lean toward Ron Paul, as shown by his strong netroots supports. We want to play Paul!

For the GOP, Duncan Hunter, Tommy Thompson, and Jim Gilomre are also missing, while for the Dems Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel are missing.

Ron Paul has no chance. But every online poll puts him in like 1st, because online people tend to looooove him. So I think adding him to the game should be the kind of priority where it gets its own patch, and is done like, today.

While Bloomberg isn't definitely in the race, I'd say it's a serious option, and after all Gore and Gingrich have also not announced, and I'd argue he's more likely to run than Gore. I know it's a lot more work to make a new party (be it independent or Unity08) than creating a new candidate in a pre-existing party, but I reckon it would make it much more interesting and widen the options.