270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pilight

Third party power

It's a little too easy for third party or independent candidates to be major players, especially if they're not opposed for the smaller party nomination. You spend nine months developing the campaign and you'll have as many CPs as the larger parties. You probably won't reach their cash level, at least I never have, but you should be able to have a pretty healthy bankroll. That's not realistic. You can't develop the Libertarian Party into an organization the size and strength of the Democratic Party.

I would suggest that all candidates revert to their party's establishment level once the general election starts, even if it's lower than the candidate's.

I like the idea of giving the 3rd party candidates a challenger in their primaries. Afterall, wasn't the 2004 Libertarian party a close race? But I do think that (after there is a challenger) if a 3rd party candidate can build up their profile to a national level, they should be allowed to keep it...that's the way it would work in real life...and is exactly what a 3rd party candidate needs to be able to do (more effectively despite the huge odds against it) in order to take a piece of the electoral pie.

The thing is, third party candidates almost always get 1 - 3% in the elections I've seen. Maybe 1% is fine, but 3%?

Challengers in the third party primaries would help things quite a bit I'd imagine.