270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pilight

The importance of Iowa and New Hampshire

These two early tests are far more important in the real world than they are in P4E+. Very often you'll see several candidates drop out after poor showings in them, something that never happens in the game. When I'm doing P4E+ I usually don't even bother with them, the computer players will kill themselves pumping resources there while I campaign unopposed in delegate rich places like Michigan, California, Texas, and Florida. If Sam Brownback polls 1%-2% in IA and NH in the actual election, he'll be out of the race. In P4E+ I regularly post numbers like that but win the nomination going away because by the time the big states roll around I've built up a huge lead in them.

Part of that is poor strategy by the computer players, they really shouldn't let me be the only one campaigning in those big states, but I think the importance of the first in the nation caucuses/primaries in IA and NH is dramatically underestimated in P4E+.

I agree, and I've actually been meaning to say something about this myself. The problem is, I really can't think of a way to change the game to fix this.

I agree, and I've actually been meaning to say something about this myself. The problem is, I really can't think of a way to change the game to fix this.

Poor showings in those states should give negative momentum. Ideally the AI would be smart enough not to ignore larger states for so long.

That's a good idea. Simple and effective (as long as the AI can be trained to work with it correctly).

It might help if the serious candidates started at a "how well established" level of 3 instead of 2, let political newcomers like Obama be at 2, and leave 1 for the Michael Charles Smith types. That would give them enough resources to fight over Iowa and New Hampshire without ignoring the rest of the country.

It might help if the serious candidates started at a "how well established" level of 3 instead of 2, let political newcomers like Obama be at 2, and leave 1 for the Michael Charles Smith types. That would give them enough resources to fight over Iowa and New Hampshire without ignoring the rest of the country.

I agree...I like the idea of higher "established" limits. It makes for greater game dynamics. Obama in particular does not need a 1 rating. Even if he sits back and does nothing, the media frenzy would keep his campaign alive.