270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bringbackclinton01

Dropping out/Continuing

I have a suggestion (and I know it might have already been mentioned, but here goes anyway). Would it be possible to, after dropping out, being able to "watch" the rest of the primaries and continue the scenario as your party's nominee. I hate dropping out and then just having the game quit. I don't know whether this would be feasible though...

This is an option I have being using to be able to see the complete election game (primaries & general) even after dropping out or loosing the primaries.

I start the game with my primary candidate (let’s say Hillary Clinton) and a third party candidate (let’s say Peroutka) as a human players. Then, I play the game as the primary candidate, and I let the third party candidate turn to go without playing it (do not do anything for him; just press done). Finally, if my primary candidate have to drop out or if he/she looses the primary, I turn into the third party candidate, flip the screen into whichever party I am interested in watching (or I watch both) till the end of the primaries. As before, I do not do anything with my third party candidate to prevent it from altering too much the general election results. Continue pressing done for the third party player throughout the general, and you will be able to see the whole thing!

I know this is not the best way to do it (you must press done a bunch of extra times, and the third party candidate will affect in a small percentage the results), but at least you can finish what you started.

Have fun.

From-CA

PS: About taking over another candidate half way through the game, that’s beyond my abilities to decipher the game. :D

Here's another problem I have, that is when I fight to the bitter end as e.g. Tom Vilsack in a field with Al Gore and Hillary Clinton, the computer decides which amount of delegates go to which candidate. For example: Vilsack gives 456 delegates to Clinton, 587 delegates to Gore, there should be an option to decide where the delegates go.

Here's another problem I have, that is when I fight to the bitter end as e.g. Tom Vilsack in a field with Al Gore and Hillary Clinton, the computer decides which amount of delegates go to which candidate. For example: Vilsack gives 456 delegates to Clinton, 587 delegates to Gore, there should be an option to decide where the delegates go.

How does the game decide how to distribute the delegates of a state after someone drops out or gets endorsed. Aside from the 2000 presidential elections, I don't know how someone can have (as I've seen in some of my games) a lead in the popular vote of a particular state but have less delegates than other candidates still left in the primaries after a dropout/endorsement.

This is a hard topic to understand.

In real life, if a candidate drop-off the race and endorses another candidate, all delegates under his/her control should go to the candidate he/she is endorsing. I believe this is the case in the game too, but I am not 100% sure.

The problem arises when a candidate drop-off the race without endorsing another candidate. In real life, the delegates under his/her control are free to go to whichever candidate they choose. Most of the times, the delegates of a specific state will chose to go to the candidate that best finished on the state’s primary and still on the race, but that’s not a rule. Sometimes, the delegates cannot agree to support a single candidate and they split between two or more candidates. For the game, this creates a huge problem since there is no way to predict to whom the delegates will go. Besides, a candidate might have delegates from different states and some might go united to a single candidate, others might split, … it could be a huge mess to explain and even worse … to program it! Just be happy the delegates are going to some candidate. :wacko:

I hope you understand this messy explanation. Who said politics is a simple business? :lol:

Good luck

From-CA