270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brian_J

Canada 2007

A few thoughts after a playthrough:

The Conservatives are much too strong in the Atlantic. They've pissed practically everyone off with the equalization deal, especially in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

Haha, living in NS, I know. That's the reason for the Atlantic Accord issue being as it is, especially in Newfoundland/Labrador. I was thinking of making NL a Liberal sweep, should do it.

Bill Casey in Cumberland-Colchester should be running as an independent since he got kicked out of the Conservative party.

Of course, that's part of the whole "damn sick of looking at the ridings file. Will fix, though. Might make him the indy leader as well...

You have Marc Garneau running in Outremont, but he's actually running in Westmount. The Outremont candidate might be Brigitte Legault (it's my best guess at the time, though who knows who the party will appoint), who should have two stars.

Bev Desjarlais in Churchill should be removed as an independent, with most of her support going to the NDP candidate.

There currently aren't any debates in the scenario.

The Bloc should probably be weakened in rural Québec: the Conservatives are ahead there currently. The NDP is also probably much too weak in Québec, it's hovering at around the 15% mark in polls.

Those are my mistakes, thanks.

It otherwise looks pretty realistic, great job.

Also, you did an awesome job on the issues and I really, really like the new "small" images for the parties.

Merci, thanks for the input.

Also note, Harper should be "centre right" on the Provinces issue.

Pretty good, obviously the incumbents have to be switched since alot of the CPC newcomers are still 2 stars and should be 3. Marc Garneau is actually in the game twice an neither time is he in the right riding of Westmount.

The Liberals should be a bit stronger in Western Quebec (They have a couple seats they could maybe win next time) and a bit stronger in Montreal and weaker in the rest of Quebec I think.

BQ seems a bit too strong but not too bad. Duceppes personal numbers are weak and it makes it easy to attack him on leadership (I mean seriously who else but Duceppe even come to mind when you think about the BQ, theres no leader in waiting).

Greens are way to strong I think, they start of with 8% and its 8/80(20% undecided) so basically the Greens start out at 10%. I know theyre polling higher but they only got about 4.5% last time so if you start them somewhere 7-9% thatd be good. May is maybe a bit too close in Central Nova perhaps add another 2-3% to the gap.

Interesting scenario for the NDP as they are basically on equal terms with the CPC and Liberals with organization and establishment and money. I got 231 seats with them the 2nd time i played. Maybe a bit overpowered too, but i suppose they are pretty low in the polls at the beginning which helps balance it out a bit.

Conservatives are actually not strong enough in Quebec(Especially the Southeast) or Alberta(44/83 is about 53-54% at the start they should probably be somewhere between 60-65 i think). Harpers personal numbers should maybe go up a bit. Maybe a 3 for charisma and 4 for stamina.

Other than that it looks good. I love this map, same one as 1988.

http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=canada20084lt7.png

This is on Hard too with all 4 options on.

271 seats for Harper not to mention killing in the 416. :lol:

Do the NDP have as much money as the Liberals and Conservatives in real life?

Historically, no, but thanks to new campaign finance laws, the NDP has more money than ever and they will be able to spend the legal limit, as much as the Liberals and Conservatives, for the first time ever in the next election.

Glad you're all enjoying it.

BQ seems a bit too strong but not too bad. Duceppes personal numbers are weak and it makes it easy to attack him on leadership (I mean seriously who else but Duceppe even come to mind when you think about the BQ, theres no leader in waiting).

Yes, there's no leader in waiting, but his integrity and leadership scores are both the result of his party's structure. Yes, they're never in power, so they never get the scandals (hence the integrity "4"), but don't have any leadership or way of saying what they would do in power (hence the leadership penalty). So, if you kinda transfer the "leadership" ad to the one the Conservatives ran last time (The guy pedaling a bike with a cinder block instead of a front wheel), you can get the picture.

Harpers personal numbers should maybe go up a bit. Maybe a 3 for charisma and 4 for stamina.

Other than that it looks good.

I'll probably change the stamina...considering he was even still ticking after the 06 one, which was basically his 4th election type-thing in three years. As for charisma, not really. Excepting hardcore Conservatives, he has no real "rousing" power for the general public. I would even say he kinda pushes his lack of charisma as a benefit.

Do the NDP have as much money as the Liberals and Conservatives in real life?

The more populism oriented election laws have generally been beneficial, and even the ban on union funding is offset by unions of the Canadian Labour Congress being able to underwrite loans. So, yes, they will be able to run the max this time.

How about some other NDP leaders too? I like games that give a national group of leaders from all across Canada(East, Quebec, Ontario and West) you could include: McDonough, Mulcair, Dewar(Ottawa Center, ive heard him named as a potential successor) Layton and then someone from the west like Libby Davies or one of the ones from Manitoba(Blaikie if he wasnt retiring obviously).

For the CPC you could add Flaherty and Stockwell Day too I guess with Bernier and Mackay.

For the Liberals, Goodale for some national flavour, I suppose you already have Mckenna for the East. Itd be nice to have another candidate who's not running in Montreal or Toronto for the Liberals and Goodale's their biggest heavyweight from the West.

Just my opinion anyways.

I think it would be neat to leave Belinda in the next election. :) I no she's not running but we need to keep he legacy alive. She had such a bad year, lets make her happy. :) It will also make me happy. :)

OK, I've also added two candidates for the Conservatives: Maxime Bernier to provide a Quebec flavour, and Peter MacKay for a more even race with the Liberals.

In Ontario I suggest that the Liberals be Extemly strong in Newmarket-Aurora. :)

Sorry about the delay guys, I sent it out to those who provided addies.

How about some other NDP leaders too? I like games that give a national group of leaders from all across Canada(East, Quebec, Ontario and West) you could include: McDonough, Mulcair, Dewar(Ottawa Center, ive heard him named as a potential successor) Layton and then someone from the west like Libby Davies or one of the ones from Manitoba(Blaikie if he wasnt retiring obviously).

For the CPC you could add Flaherty and Stockwell Day too I guess with Bernier and Mackay.

For the Liberals, Goodale for some national flavour, I suppose you already have Mckenna for the East. Itd be nice to have another candidate who's not running in Montreal or Toronto for the Liberals and Goodale's their biggest heavyweight from the West.

Ah, the leader treadmill. I don't think the campaign really needs 8 more leaders. I really don't like having too many, as most of the presumptions on positions can be incorrect...the Liberals here are kind of an exception, as they had a leadership race. I might add a Socon to the Conservative lineup, though. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm molding all the ridings now, hoping to come out with one that can be popped out easily as nominations are held.

In Ontario I suggest that the Liberals be Extemly strong in Newmarket-Aurora.

Please, Michael, call the Ontario mental help line. Seriously, your obsession is worrying.

Unless there's been some sort of change, I'm pretty sure one of the conditions for the Liberals agreeing to not field a candidate in Central Nova was for the Greens to not field a candidate in Saint-Laurent-Cartierville (Dion's riding). Other than some nominal complaints (such as making less of the electorate undecided, etc...), it looks great.

Unless there's been some sort of change, I'm pretty sure one of the conditions for the Liberals agreeing to not field a candidate in Central Nova was for the Greens to not field a candidate in Saint-Laurent-Cartierville (Dion's riding).

You're right...thanks.

Other than some nominal complaints (such as making less of the electorate undecided, etc...), it looks great.

Thanks, but air the nominal ones...I like to hear them.

You're right...thanks.

Thanks, but air the nominal ones...I like to hear them.

Primarily that the undecideds (18% if I recall) make things way too easy for the Liberals to win. I won 210 seats (with less than 40% of the popular vote) as the Liberals including 59 in QC (difficulty: hard). I think it's fair to say that Dion would have a difficult time taking 25 seats in Quebec, let alone a majority of QC seats.

Also, I think the Greens come on too strong; I've played several where the computer takes third place in the popular vote. Greens shouldn't be able to get above 12% (despite what some public polls and by-elections suggest), and certainly not the 15% that I'm seeing in many ridings with the results. PM4E should use the party relations to set up marginal seat swings, but to the best of my knowledge it isn't built into the game engine and would be difficult to model.

Also, I notice something strange in the national polling: the totals for all parties total up to 75% with 18% undecided, leaving a gap of 7%...the missing 7% stays after the first poll, although private polls reduce the missing total to 5%. The missing % stays in the 5-7% range throughout the campaign's polling. Even the final total only equals 97%.

Anyways, it's overall a good scenario.