270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brian_J

Canada 2007

Seeing as how we're looking at an election next year sometime, I thought I might get a headstart on it.

Anybody know some issues I should use and positions?

You might want a wait for a few polls, until they seem to stabilize. I don't know too much about Canadian politics, but the Liberals are liable to get a boost from their convention.

Tax Cuts:

- Increase taxes, reverse GST Cut

- Increase income taxes for the rich

- Look into possible reductions of taxes, only if we can afford it

- Move forward with another GST cut

- Cut the GST, income and corporate taxes

Health Care:

- Significantly increase spending, force provinces to eliminate private service

- Increase spending, look at ways to eliminate private health care

- Keep spending as it is, we should continue to oppose private health care

- Keep spending as it is, but turn a blind eye to private health care

- Reduce spending, look at ways to increase private services

Quebec:

- Canada, one nation which Quebec is a part of

- Canada is one nation, each province has something different to offer

- Quebec is a distinct society within a united Canada

- Quebec is a nation within a united Canada

- Quebec is a nation, it can survive without Canada

Environment:

- We should attempt to go above and beyond Kyoto Targets

- We must meet our Kyoto goals

- We can't meet Kyoto, but we should do our best to get there

- Canada needs it's own plan, not Kyoto, support a Canadian Clean Air Act

- Global warming is not real, we should get back to the real issues

Afghanistan:

- We must withdraw immediately

- We need to withdraw as soon as possible, aim for end of 2007

- Stay until 2009, but draft a plan for withdrawl

- Stay until 2009 unless we are asked to stay longer

- We need to stay for as long as it takes, you cannot put a time limit on freedom

US Relations:

- Canada has become a puppet of the USA, we need to start cutting ties

- Canada is too close to the US, let's stand up to them a bit more

- Canada and the US are finally on good terms, this is a great thing

- Canada and the US are best friends and must continue to build on this relationship

- Canada should look into joining the United States

Free Trade:

- Withdraw from NAFTA and all other free trade agreements

- Withdraw from NAFTA

- We need to fix NAFTA's problems, the US calls the shots far too often

- NAFTA is fine in its present state, look at expanding trade with other developed nations

- Turn NAFTA into FTAA

Senate:

- Abolish the Senate

- Support a plan to make the Senate Democratic

- Support senate term limits, look into further reforms

- Leave the Senate as is

- Changing the Senate is an attack on our heritage

Leaders for each party:

Conservative:

- Stephen Harper

- Jim Prentice

- Bernard Lord

- Lawrence Cannon

- Peter MacKay

- Chuck Strahl

- Jim Flaherty

- Mike Harris

- Stockwell Day

- Rona Ambrose

- Sam Sullivan

- Jean Charest

Liberal:

- Stephane Dion

- Michael Ignatieff

- Bob Rae

- Gerard Kennedy

- Ken Dryden

- Scott Brison

- Joe Volpe

- Martha Hall Findlay

- Frank McKenna

- Belinda Stronch

- Paul Martin

- John Manley

- Sheila Copps

New Democratic:

- Jack Layton

- Bill Blaikie

- Lorne Nystom

- Pierre Ducasse

- Lorne Calvert

- Gary Doer

- Libby Davies

- Svend Robinson

Bloc Quebecois:

- Gilles Duceppe

- Michael Gauthier

- Lucien Bouchard

- Jacques Parizeau

- Bernard Laundry

Green:

- Elizabeth May

- Jim Harris

- David Chernushenko

Quebec:

- Canada, one nation which Quebec is a part of

- Canada is one nation, each province has something different to offer

- Quebec is a distinct society within a united Canada

- Quebec is a nation within a united Canada

- Quebec is a nation, it can survive without Canada

I'd inverse this, putting the seperatist option at the left.

I'd inverse this, putting the seperatist option at the left.

Left-Wingers support centralized Government, therefore a decentralized approach would not be something to fit that ideological wing.

Left-Wingers support centralized Government, therefore a decentralized approach would not be something to fit that ideological wing.

But thinking of the 1990s, Reform would be at the far left of that scale and the Bloc would be at the far right, which doesn't sit well with me.

But thinking of the 1990s, Reform would be at the far left of that scale and the Bloc would be at the far right, which doesn't sit well with me.

Reform would be centre-left and BQ would be far right, correct. But The BQ was made up of mostly nationalist Conservatives anyways, so I'm not to sure what the issue is.

Hey all, I'm actually about half way through one myself. I sent some other scenarios to 80soft, don't think they posted them yet. Here's the issues I'm currently working with:

Afghanistan

Business Taxes

Day Care

Democratic Reform

Environment

First Nations

Gun Control

Health Care

Immigration

Middle East

Military

National Debt

Personal Taxes

Provincial Powers

Quebec "Nationhood"

Senate Reform

Trade Policy

U.S. Relations

Here's my Quebec one:

Quebec is a nation, and should be given the proper powers to sustain it. (Duceppe)

The Quebecois are a nation within a united Canada. No more, no less. (Harper)

While Quebecois are technically a nation, this does not need to be recognized by the Federal government. (Dion)

The Quebecois are no more unique then many other groups in Canada.

Quebec should be nation...kick them out of Canada!

I've got a few candidates so far, but I'm not going to go too overboard I think....Layton would kinda be in the middle of the two.

Update, just did the "mass" ridings, and have put the Conservatives about 1-3 ahead, so Conservatives would be 33-36 and the Liberals would be 32-34. Sound accurate? I don't like after convention polls...I've also put the NDP at about 14 and the Greens at 6. I've got a bare bones version working now, so just have to do the graphics and that....if the ridings go well, I could have it by tomorrow with, again, bare bones. I don't think I'll do newspapers this time...I've read some recent studies that they don't, to put it blunt, do anything.

Candidates featured, as of now:

Conservative: Harper

Liberal:Dion, Ignatieff, Rae, Kennedy, and Paul Martin

NDP: Layton, Blaikie

Green:May

Indy: Turner, Arthur

Request anyone you really want...oh, and which ridings do you guys think Rae and Kennedy would run in? I think I'll also put Justin Trudeau in Outremont, as per rumours....

Request anyone you really want...oh, and which ridings do you guys think Rae and Kennedy would run in? I think I'll also put Justin Trudeau in Outremont, as per rumours....

Both Rae and Kennedy held York South-Weston provincially, so one of the two should be there. I'd lean toward Kennedy, and put Rae in Parkdale-High Park, where he'd be able to run against a Dipper and take back a riding that switched in 2006.

Sounds good.

It's kind of funny, my initial ratings have Dion and Harper about equal, with Harper having the edge in Leadership and Dion having the edge in French.

You know that had me thinking. The game has a parameter for French skill that affects the leader's performance in the French debate. It should have a similar parameter for English. Just a thought.

If you're looking for a beta tester, let me know I'd be interested. :)

You know that had me thinking. The game has a parameter for French skill that affects the leader's performance in the French debate. It should have a similar parameter for English. Just a thought.

You're right...Dion's English is a bit of a liability. I'll make him a "2" in debating, but give him the "+2" French bonus...that should even things out.

If you're looking for a beta tester, let me know I'd be interested. :)

Thanks for the leadup...its' ready for testing. Post/PM your email addy, and I'll get it out tonight. I got a movie I gotta go to now, but it'll be out I'd think by 9 Eastern.

You're right...Dion's English is a bit of a liability. I'll make him a "2" in debating, but give him the "+2" French bonus...that should even things out.

Thanks for the leadup...its' ready for testing. Post/PM your email addy, and I'll get it out tonight. I got a movie I gotta go to now, but it'll be out I'd think by 9 Eastern.

darrendrmcewen@yahoo.com

Could I have a test sneak peek?

Thanks a bunch.

I'd put Rae in his home riding and put Kennedy over in Bill Graham's riding (I think the last election was his last). Trudeau is a nearly sure bet.

I agree with the newspapers. Only the political junkies I think go by what the editorial coloumns say and they only care because they think the regular Joe Voter decides based on who the editors endorse. I think in Canada you'll see newspaper endorsements a thing of the past by the next decade.

The scenario is great. Not much to correct.

Although I just ran (created my own candidate with left leaning Liberal policy) and it was fairly accurate. Harper got a minority but only by about 10 seats, Libs were just behind but the NDP gobbled up more than 60 seats (high, but likely because the Libs and NDP split the left vote) Greens got two seats and Inds two seats as well.

There doesn't appear to be any weird ridings. I'm really glad about the changes you made in breaking up Ontario and Quebec into the sections that you did.

I haven't tried running as any of the official Liberal leaders yet.

The issues are good as well.

Now if only we could transform President + Primaries Forever into a Canadian convention + General election format!!!

Although I just ran (created my own candidate with left leaning Liberal policy) and it was fairly accurate. Harper got a minority but only by about 10 seats, Libs were just behind but the NDP gobbled up more than 60 seats (high, but likely because the Libs and NDP split the left vote) Greens got two seats and Inds two seats as well.

There doesn't appear to be any weird ridings. I'm really glad about the changes you made in breaking up Ontario and Quebec into the sections that you did.

Now if only we could transform President + Primaries Forever into a Canadian convention + General election format!!!

I agree, if we could make President+Primaries into Canadian Convention+General Election i would be sooooooooooooo happy. :( Unfortunately, i emailed 80Soft about this and they said they won't do it because it would be inaccurate to the Canadian political system. On the other hand tho, i wish there was some way to have a pre convention for leader incorporated into the game.

Anyone have any thoughts on how this could be possible?

Complement Saskguy on the divisions, that's one of his maps.

I agree, if we could make President+Primaries into Canadian Convention+General Election i would be sooooooooooooo happy. :( Unfortunately, i emailed 80Soft about this and they said they won't do it because it would be inaccurate to the Canadian political system. On the other hand tho, i wish there was some way to have a pre convention for leader incorporated into the game.

Anyone have any thoughts on how this could be possible?

I'm sure it COULD be done but with a heck of a lot of work.

You'd take the American structure of primaries and run that through all of the provinces but then you'd just have to convert into ridings after the convention. Essentially the American primaries are run very similar to the leadership races (on this game at least) You're looking to win delegates and a certain number of delegates are up for grabs in each region.

It's the problem of converting that after the convention into the riding system that would be the challenge.

Looking at the debate ratings for Duceppe, is he really a better debater than Dion in both french and english? Maybe his french bonus could be +1 so they'd be equal in the french debates?