270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gerg1234

I am terrible at this game....

I created a scenario with all my friends on it...I let each person have a commanding lead in the state they chose as their home state. Every time I play single player I barnstorm the hell outta Iowa and Arizona. I can get a pretty decent lead (about 8 points) the turn before the primary takes place. Then one of the computer players....and its ALWAYS the same one ends up winning Iowa. What am I doing wrong?

are you utilizing footsoliders, endorsements, crusaders, scandals and ads properly?

all those things are HUGE. Also, a good strategy for the Primaries is to see which states you don't care about winning, and put focus early on states you really want to win even if thier primary is far away.

Also, the game is not easy. The AI seems to be smarter than in previous games, so the computer is trying to win too.

I'm stilling learning the new version too, and I'm not doing anywhere near as well as I did with the other former p4e.

just keep playing. the BEST way to get good is with trial and error. see what works for you, see what doesn't.

If you have questions about any specific part of the game you're having trouble with, I'll try answer more clearly and more helpfully. hehe

are you utilizing footsoliders, endorsements, crusaders, scandals and ads properly?

all those things are HUGE. Also, a good strategy for the Primaries is to see which states you don't care about winning, and put focus early on states you really want to win even if thier primary is far away.

Also, the game is not easy. The AI seems to be smarter than in previous games, so the computer is trying to win too.

I'm stilling learning the new version too, and I'm not doing anywhere near as well as I did with the other former p4e.

just keep playing. the BEST way to get good is with trial and error. see what works for you, see what doesn't.

If you have questions about any specific part of the game you're having trouble with, I'll try answer more clearly and more helpfully. hehe

I tend to use the first turn to develop the campaign 5 times....then I create foot soldiers in Iowa and Arizona, try for a national endorsement...(normally NRA endorsement). I like to create Arnold as a crusader by the third turn.

My strategy for states early is Iowa, Arizona, New Hampshire and Delaware.....and my Theme is Leadership (i'm a 4) Integrity (5) and attack my friend's Experience (3).

Since I have high integrity i try to make ads about that.

I also wonder what is the best way to become better known???

anyway, i'll leave it at that...im sure i'll have plenty of questions later

Thanks.

Here is what I usually do to win the primaries. My strategy changes from time to time but this strategy seems to work well for me.

Create 3-4 ads. Maybe use insight on an issue on one of them, the rest of them can just be regular leadership ones about your candidate. Starting a month before the first primaries, run all of them in iowa and new hampshire. Since you are only running them in two states, it doesn't cost a whole lot of money. From the time you start the game until the primaries, research scandals on the person leading the polls and create foot soldiers for iowa and new hampshire. By putting as much focus on Iowa and New Hampshire, you should do enough to win those two states. From there, use the remaining money you have to run your most powerful ad in as many states as possible. The momentum from Iowa and New Hampshire, and from your ads and scandals against the person leading in the polls should be enough for you to pick up most of the rest of the states. Of course this may not work with everyone and some may disagree with this strategy, but I'm just posting what works best for me.

I've found that you really have to coordinate ads, barnstorming, and footsoldiers. In the old game, you could just run an ad by itself and you could pick up a lot of support, but in this one it works much better if you run a coordinated campaign. I normally start off by creating crusaders, setting my strategy to only include Iowa and New Hampshire, and barnstorming the heck out of Iowa. When my candidate is too tired to continue barnstorming, I create footsoldiers in Iowa. By doing this, within a few turns you can be up to 40 or 50 percent in Iowa. Then I move on to New Hampshire and do the same thing. Then I normally skip Arizona Missouri etc and go on to Michigan and Washington, because everyone else tends to hang out in Arizona or Missouri, so if you go to states with later primary dates you will be the only one in the state and you will pick up support faster.

At first I spent a lot of time improving my campaign organization, but now not so much because I found out that if you just wait until the general election it will go up to 5 anyway.

On ads, I started making most of my ads be about high profile issues rather than about candidate traits like leadership. That way they get bonuses in how much momentum you get. A mediocre ad about Iraq can be more effective than a super-effective ad about leadership because of the bonuses for high profile issues. This also goes for theme, change experience and integrity for instance into war on terror and Iraq (or whatever issues are the highest profile.