270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
progressivedem

Primary Election Results

A handy visual feature that would be nice to have is that when you're going through the primary election nights/results, a pop-up box displays the votes for a state, rather than having to click on the state and scroll through the candidates to find the results.

Another really great thing for realism would be raw vote totals.

And a really, really great thing would be an election night for primaries in a similar style to the election night for the general. But that's just in my utopian world.

All I want for Christmas is aesthetically pleasing primary results! :D

Can you say a little more about what you mean here? You hover over a state on the map and a window pops up displaying the results if an election has already occurred there? Or is the emphasis on not having to scroll down, so just having a longer window?

Thanks,

The 80soft Team

A handy visual feature that would be nice to have is that when you're going through the primary election nights/results, a pop-up box displays the votes for a state, rather than having to click on the state and scroll through the candidates to find the results.

When it normally just has a lot box that pops up that says "McCain wins in Iowa! (32 Delegates)", instead a box pops-up that displays the percentages, delegates, and hopefully, raw vote totals. And the box would be big enough that we didn't have to scroll down at all.

Then if we wanted, we could go back and open the box again by clicking on the state or something.

Also it'd be nice if it would say the date of the primary, since after a primary happens we can't see on which day it was held..

To Softi80

Another good idea would be on Primary Day for iowa, you can have the option to go to a "general election like map" And watch the results come in precinct by precict. But zoomed in on that/those primary(ies).

The problem is that raw vote totals are pretty worthless in Iowa, because it's a caucus, not a primary.

The only concern is how many delegates each candidate wins in a precinct, and the number of caucusers necessary in each precinct is dependent on the total number of attendees.

Likewise, if your candidate doesn't get at least 15% of the caucus-goers in their preference group, the group is deemed not viable, and you either have to pick a new candidate or go home.

Finally, No Preference is always an option at the Iowa caucus. In 1976, Jimmy Carter launched his campaign with a "win" in Iowa, but in reality he finished a distant second to No Preference.

I guess what I'm really saying is that coding election night results for a simulation of the Iowa Caucuses would be a bit of a nightmare... :)

I agree the caucuses would be difficult. Somehow CNN got numbers in 2004 though, I'll check to see what they were reporting on.

They were reporting on what he said.

I remember it. They showed video of old people talking and then chosing thier candidate. In each little group the guy has to get at least 15%. So if someone gets below that they have to change thier vote, or as he said, vote no preference. It sounds a tad crazy.

I agree it would be very difficult to do, but any time I see primaries being covered it is exactly like the general election. The campaign staff carefully watch the results, the media gives an incredable amount of coverage as the results come in. I grew up in New Hampshire, and every 4 years go back to help some candidate - nothing important, just door to door - and im telling you it is an important election, as are many primaries. It would be far more realistic if the game did cover certain primaries like the general - ie New Hampshire, California, South Carolina, New York, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Illonois, etc. THe big ones.