270soft Forum
Sean

1968 (with Primaries)

What's truly killing is that the game worked before I did something. I've played through the general with my roommate for pete's sake, but now all I get is that Access Violation Error.

Oh, and it only ever happens to me in first turn of the general. No idea what you primary people are seeing as I've never seen it there.

Any which way, it's forwarded to the Dev Team while I try and tinker myself to see if I can fix it.

It always stuffs up for me. I try and copy and past the files into the 1968 one and it comes up with all these errors. Please Help!

Well delete the 1968 folder, and then put it in the newest (RC1) 1968 folder if you mean you're having Windows problems.

If you're getting the Access Violation Error—not my fault. It will be fixed with the next update to the main engine. Nothing I can do to help people.

It was sent out, but there's a main engine bug that prevents it from working so I pulled the file. Therefore it's on hold until TheorySpark updates the engine with the bugfix.

Over the holidays, I was reading The Politics of Rage: George Wallace, the Origins of the New Conservatism, and the Transformation of American Politics by Dan T. Carter. Found out some useful information in regards to the '68 campaign.

Humphrey's Fund-raising Goal: $10 million+ (Wallace's goal is described as being almost what Humphrey's goal is, so probably $11-$12 m)

Nixon's Fund-raising Goal: $24 million

Wallace's Fund-raising Goal: $10 million

(All of these numbers are for General Election)

Wallace took in $9 million alone from background (direct mail, small donor) fund-raising (this is not counting the $20 to $25000 he was taking in daily through small, $1000 plate breakfasts), and probably surpassed his goal easily.

Another Wallace event should involve his wife's (Lurleen) death from cancer in early May (after Wallace said two weeks earlier that she had "won the fight against cancer"). Another possible Nixon event could involve the Anna Chennault controversy. I've read that Humphrey and his campaign had information at the time of Nixon's involvement but refused to release it due to the fact that if Nixon was elected anyways, it would destroy his Presidency (perhaps as a 9-Profile event with a small chance of occurring).

According to this book, internal polling from the '68 campaign showed the following:

• "Polls as late as October 3 had showed Wallace winning more than one of every five voters."
  • "Wallace felt comfortably sure that he could top Nixon and Humphrey in the states Goldwater had carried in 1964, as well as Arkansas, and his own instincts coupled with nationally published polls showed him within striking distance of a plurality in the very border states that Nixon hoped to take. In a very close three-waycampaign, a candidate could throw the election into the House of Representatives with as few as 180 electoral votes. If Wallace carried the entire old south (128 electoral votes) and if he carried the entire border South (49 electoral votes) it would take only one or two narrow wins in a few midwestern states like Ohio and Indiana to put him over the top. And the Congress, he [Wallace] insisted, would not have the temerity to award the Presidency to a second-place finisher."

Also according to this book, Senator Strom Thurmond was key to Nixon's winning of the Republican nomination. "Although some members of his audience believed that George Wallace had the right solution ("take those bearded bureaucrats and throw them in the Potomac") or that the golden-tongued Reagan was the more authentic conservative, the bitter memories of the Goldwater debacle made them pause and listen to Thurmond. "We have no choice, if we want to win, except to vote for Nixon," he insisted. "We must quit using our hearts and start using our heads." Believe me, he said, "I love Reagan, but Nixon's the one." Somehow, Strom Thurmond's endorsement should be able to swing the entire Southern United States to one Republican or the other.

September 27, 1968 poll results--Nixon 42, Humphrey 27, Wallace 20.

Advertising--Wallace created a half-hour TV film, The Wallace Story that aired on NBC and CBS in mid-September (the film was basically an amalgamation of his best applause lines and soundbites, interrupted every few moments to plead viewers to send in money so that George Wallace could "stand up for America" at a cost of $500,000. The film raised $600,000 in donations mostly less than $100.

Another scandal that killed any momentum Wallace had to possibly make inroads outside of the deep South was LeMay's press conference in which he decried people's "phobia of nuclear weapons," leading Humphrey to refer to the ticket as the "Bombsey twins." Also, when the AFL-CIO learned that a Chicago Sun-Times poll showed that 44% of white steel-workers in that city backed Wallace, they told COPE (Committee on Public Education) to authorize a steady stream of attack mailings to 13 million union households. COPE should be decided Humphrey, at a high momentum being as all of the blue collar males that left Wallace went to HHH.

Wallace also had a minor sex-scandal with a woman named Ja-Neen Welch that made the news but had a very negligible effect on the campaign, and reporters left it alone. In late October, LeMay gave a rambling speech at Yale on "Preserving Our Natural Resources for the 21st Century" in which, in response to a question about population control, LeMay stated "There are many cases where abortion is proper and that choice should be left up to the judgment of the people concerned and the physicians." Following this incident, LeMay was dispatched to Vietnam for a "fact-finding" mission.

Also, is Happy Chandler (former two-time Democratic Governor of Kentucky, commissioner of baseball when baseball was integrated) listed as a potential running mate? Happy Chandler was immensely popular in both Kentucky and in Tennessee. Wallace did promise Chandler that the campaign would not be based on racial issues and Chandler agreed to become VP. By early September, word of his selection leaked to reporters who described it as a "done deal." However, most of Wallace's core supporters balked at Chandler's selection (the KY Wallace Chair resigned, 7 Electors quit, and large contributors threatened to cut off funding. Another running mate listed is Ezra Taft Benson (senior member of the LDS Quorum of the Twelve Apostles).

Being as my only copy doesn't work, I forget how much of this may already be in the scenario. I'm just providing the info and you can incorporate this into the game anyway you want. Hope it helps.

(Part I because there's a limit on how many quotes you can have per post)

Humphrey's Fund-raising Goal: $10 million+

Nixon's Fund-raising Goal: $24 million

Wallace's Fund-raising Goal: $10 million

Humphrey's media plan was $7 million and he couldn't afford it. In fact advertising production switched teams and were forced to start late because of it. The campaign spent their last hundred thousand on the bombing halt speech—though that raised hundred fifty directly and a million more in re-broadcast telethons.

I try and reflect that in-game. Democrats start with nothing, Nixon starts with a chunk of change, and both can fund-raise but Nixon has a far better base. I will go check my numbers, though.

Wallace took in $9 million alone from background (direct mail, small donor) fund-raising (this is not counting the $20 to $25000 he was taking in daily through small, $1000 plate breakfasts), and probably surpassed his goal easily.

Best estimates say Wallace spent 13 million and made close to 15 million at the end of the day.

Another Wallace event should involve his wife's (Lurleen) death from cancer in early May (after Wallace said two weeks earlier that she had "won the fight against cancer"). Another possible Nixon event could involve the Anna Chennault controversy. I've read that Humphrey and his campaign had information at the time of Nixon's involvement but refused to release it due to the fact that if Nixon was elected anyways, it would destroy his Presidency (perhaps as a 9-Profile event with a small chance of occurring).

I appear to be at the event engine limit. Adding new events causes them to go wonky. That said, it's an interesting issue and I'd like to model it but because of the low probability of the public finding out about it… it's not high on my list.

"Polls as late as October 3 had showed Wallace winning more than one of every five voters."

Which slid away in the industrial states. Hard to model, but I've been thinking about it.

"Wallace felt comfortably sure that he could top Nixon and Humphrey in the states Goldwater had carried in 1964, as well as Arkansas, and his own instincts coupled with nationally published polls showed him within striking distance of a plurality in the very border states that Nixon hoped to take. In a very close three-waycampaign, a candidate could throw the election into the House of Representatives with as few as 180 electoral votes. If Wallace carried the entire old south (128 electoral votes) and if he carried the entire border South (49 electoral votes) it would take only one or two narrow wins in a few midwestern states like Ohio and Indiana to put him over the top. And the Congress, Wallace insisted, would not have the temerity to award the Presidency to a second-place finisher."

I believe Wallace's goal in-game is to carry the Old South. However Congress had already met and decided that whoever not-Wallace who got the plurality of votes would be the President.

Also according to this book, Senator Strom Thurmond was key to Nixon's winning of the Republican nomination. "Although some members of his audience believed that George Wallace had the right solution ("take those bearded bureaucrats and throw them in the Potomac") or that the golden-tongued Reagan was the more authentic conservative, the bitter memories of the Goldwater debacle made them pause and listen to Thurmond. "We have no choice, if we want to win, except to vote for Nixon," he insisted. "We must quit using our hearts and start using our heads." Believe me, he said, "I love Reagan, but Nixon's the one." Somehow, Strom Thurmond's endorsement should be able to swing the entire Southern United States to one Republican or the other.

Modelled already.

September 27, 1968 poll results--Nixon 42, Humphrey 27, Wallace 20.

Yep. On 3 September Nixon 43 - Humphrey 31 - Wallace 19, and I have late October polls as well now. That said it's hard to model Wallace's 7 point fall, Humphrey's climb, and Nixon's staying put. I've given it something of a try—though Wallace starts lower than the polls would have it.

Advertising--Wallace created a half-hour TV film, The Wallace Story that aired on NBC and CBS in mid-September (the film was basically an amalgamation of his best applause lines and soundbites, interrupted every few moments to plead viewers to send in money so that George Wallace could "stand up for America" at a cost of $500,000. The film raised $600,000 in donations mostly less than $100.

Yeah I'm planning on lowering the strength of advertising, dropping its cost, and seeing if I can make a difference between "fund-raising" and "persuasion" outside of the expensive national ads.

Another scandal that killed any momentum Wallace had to possibly make inroads outside of the deep South was LeMay's press conference in which he decried people's "phobia of nuclear weapons," leading Humphrey to refer to the ticket as the "Bombsey twins."

'Tis a good one. But events can only model nationally. I've been giving this some thought, though, and I may have a solution for illusionary Wallace strength along the Great Lakes.

Also, when the AFL-CIO learned that a Chicago Sun-Times poll showed that 44% of white steel-workers in that city backed Wallace, they told COPE (Committee on Public Education) to authorize a steady stream of attack mailings to 13 million union households. COPE should be decided Humphrey, at a high momentum being as all of the blue collar males that left Wallace went to HHH.

Yeah unions are a major reason the Humphrey vote increased in the swing states, as they hammered hard on their workers. I may break out the unions a little more—COPE, UAW, and so on.

Also, is Happy Chandler (former two-time Democratic Governor of Kentucky, commissioner of baseball when baseball was integrated) listed as a potential running mate? Happy Chandler was immensely popular in both Kentucky and in Tennessee. Wallace did promise Chandler that the campaign would not be based on racial issues and Chandler agreed to become VP. By early September, word of his selection leaked to reporters who described it as a "done deal." However, most of Wallace's core supporters balked at Chandler's selection (the KY Wallace Chair resigned, 7 Electors quit, and large contributors threatened to cut off funding. Another running mate listed is Ezra Taft Benson (senior member of the LDS Quorum of the Twelve Apostles).

No he is not. The problem with VPs is that they only get popularity in one state, so their choice doesn't reflect the multiple variables in a normal campaign. I can add him, though, as a safer alternative to LeMay.

As I've noted before there is a bug in the main engine of President Forever 2008 that makes 1968 unplayable.

When TheorySpark updates President Forever and fixes said bug, 1968 will be released.

Have you sent it to TheorySpark? They might know how to fix it.

They do know how to fix it. The problem is not the 1968 scenario but with a bug in President Forever 2008 that happens to impact on 1968.

Therefore when they next update President Forever 2008 the bug will be fixed, and 1968 will work.