270soft Forum
Sean

1968 (with Primaries)

Yeah, 50 EP or 40 EP (maybe better, since the idea is to limit it to two per week).

Anyways, it might be a good idea to change the poll results date to Saturday (5 day lag between polling and the turn). Also, the human player can win delegates in a lot of the convention states, such as Texas, Tennessee, North Carolina, etc.

It would add to realism to make the favorite son candidates have a strict 100% committed, in order to account for the unit rule (or make all convention states FPP). Or are we going with what the delegates actually voted to do in '68, and scrapping the unit rule?

Yeah, 50 EP or 40 EP (maybe better, since the idea is to limit it to two per week).

Anyways, it might be a good idea to change the poll results date to Saturday (5 day lag between polling and the turn).

Oh I'm thinking no more then once a week, but whatever. It will need testing. Perhaps a CP/EP combo would work, because we also have to think about the general.

I kinda like the polling lag. 1968 polls weren't anywhere near as good as today and this is the best way I can think of to make them uncertain—especially since I can't control whether a player has accurate polling on or off, though I could make a house rule about that.

Bah, whenever I color in someone, they seem to look like some sort of unholy monster ready to kill voters.

http://www.recolored.com/

That is the program I used. (Free trial)

Anyway, some of the pictures do indeed look rough. Some don't even have images. So I suggest the following:

John McKeithen - http://www.nndb.com/people/939/000122573/j...hen-1-sized.jpg

Thomas Lynch - http://ag.ca.gov/ag/images/lynch.jpg

George Smathers - http://www.genarians.com/images/SmathersWEB.jpg

Reagan - http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=77978&rendTypeId=4

George Romney - http://faculty.concord.edu/chrisz/hobby/67...aces/Romney.jpg

John Volpe - http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/administrators/jvolpe.jpg

James A. Rhodes - http://www.nndb.com/people/113/000120750/j...-a-rhodes-1.jpg

Wallace - http://www.psc.state.al.us/News/Annual%20R...al/image186.gif

Also, I strongly suggest when you do candidate pictures that you:

A. Resize them to the default sizes first (75x87 and 32x32 using a program like PAINT.NET)

B. Focus on their faces.

Anyway, the center-left stance on drafting is, well, about free trade. So I propose the following:

Drafting - Left: We should consider pardoning draft dodgers, drafting is immoral.

Drafting - center-left: (Same as current left position in game)

Anyway, the center-left stance on drafting is, well, about free trade. So I propose the following:

Drafting - Left: We should consider pardoning draft dodgers, drafting is immoral.

Drafting - center-left: (Same as current left position in game)

Heh. My bad. It's much easier to take a scenario and convert it to a different year then it is to build one from scratch.

I've noticed a problem with loading up saved games - the votes become a lot more unstable. For example, I saw Reagan win in Idaho, South Dakota, and Pennsylvania when he had no momentum and little support there in a reloaded saved game.

I had Reagan's barnstorming have absolutely no effects according to the weekly recap - no momentum boosts or change in voter opinion from any one of them and I made several each week for several weeks.

I dont understand what is going on with the conventions. For some reason the game thinks 600 is a majority, so every convention is a crap shoot if two candidates have 600+ delegates. It's actually kind of realistic in a wya, becasue a lot of HHH would have switched, but this is an error that needs to be addressed. I dont know where in the scenario editor you change the convention majority number.

If anyone knows how to change this I will do it right away.

I dont understand what is going on with the conventions. For some reason the game thinks 600 is a majority, so every convention is a crap shoot if two candidates have 600+ delegates. It's actually kind of realistic in a wya, becasue a lot of HHH would have switched, but this is an error that needs to be addressed. I dont know where in the scenario editor you change the convention majority number.

If anyone knows how to change this I will do it right away.

It should be auto-generated based on the total delegate count in the primaries. Email it to the Dev Team.

Is it even possible for McCarthy to win? His low establishment rating really makes it impossible to compete in most states with Humphrey. The only states he can really seize effectively are RFK's.

Is it even possible for McCarthy to win? His low establishment rating really makes it impossible to compete in most states with Humphrey. The only states he can really seize effectively are RFK's.

Probably not, but he wasn't going to win in real life no matter what he did (short of killing Humphrey at the convention) so I imagine that's pretty realistic.

This is an interesting question. Should we change dynamics so that people who had no chance in real life no matter what they did, suddenly have a chance?

I mean we're doing it somewhat on the Republican side; but Reagan/Rockefeller could have won if both had put their full effort in starting in February. McCarthy, on the other hand, had no chance of winning and even RFK's candidacy was a bit of an outside shot.

Probably not, but he wasn't going to win in real life no matter what he did (short of killing Humphrey at the convention) so I imagine that's pretty realistic.

This is an interesting question. Should we change dynamics so that people who had no chance in real life no matter what they did, suddenly have a chance?

I mean we're doing it somewhat on the Republican side; but Reagan/Rockefeller could have won if both had put their full effort in starting in February. McCarthy, on the other hand, had no chance of winning and even RFK's candidacy was a bit of an outside shot.

No sacrifing funness for realism. Give McCarthy an outside shot!!!

Actually it is possible for McCarthy to win in the scneario, but very difficult. The key is to keep HHH under the necessary delegate majority, and then get RFK to endorse you. You have to pick and chose your states. Very difficult, but Ive seen it happen. I woudlnt change anything.

I think that you can give them a shot at winning by letting them have at least 14 CPs per turn, if not 21 like Rockefeller. It's very tough to turn states to you that are firmly in the frontrunner's camp even with a base of 21 CPs and high momentum. That's been my experience playing on Hard mode.

I have an idea on convention states. :)

There is one voter in the state. That vote is the party boss. As an endorser for the state, you list the party boss. You could have that endorser have such a momentum bonus that whoever he endorses is sure to win. This way, PIPs could have a role in who wins convention states.

There may be a way to do this that is more sure-fire, I just don't know.

I thought about that for awhile, atbut at least in my expericne the endorsers endorse a candidate too soon. Illinois is pretty much done like that though. WHoever gets Dlaey's endorsement is likely to win.

Hi,

Warner'12, ElectricMonk, mokbubble.

I've got some time and would like to beta-test this scenario

Sent you each a private message with my email address (don't know which one of you sends it out)

Hi,

Warner'12, ElectricMonk, mokbubble.

I've got some time and would like to beta-test this scenario

Sent you each a private message with my email address (don't know which one of you sends it out)

I've been rolling them out.

Please note the current beta is somewhat out of date but I've sent it to you anyway; when round 4 happens sometime in the near future you'll be on the mailing list.

Currently we have two irritating errors: floating point error that kills the game. Random and doesn't always show up. Also the game believes (for reasons unknown) that 600 delegates is a majority: if you can get over that you have a random chance of actually winning the convention.

Why do I have the feeling the beta test is not so much a beta test and more I want to play your scenario, please?

Sure. One note, several people have reported hotmail is stupid and believes the attached file is an evil virus (my advice? Buy a Mac, run Boot Camp for Windows/Games and never care about viruses again) so you may have to forward it to an alternate email account.