270soft Forum
Sean

1968 (with Primaries)

You play the game and report back. Is RFK too powerful? Does Nixon get taken down unrealistically easily?

Does the advertising system work? (I've introduced the idea of national versus local television, and I'm curious to see how it plays out).

Is fund-raising and costs in line with the era? (I don't actually think they are, but we'll need to tweak that for a bit to get them right—anyone know what advertising cost in 1968?)

Did we screw up an endorser somewhere?

Is the favourite son system working?

That sort of thing.

What I meant was what kind of reporting are you looking for in terms of say turn by turn reports or an after game report and how much detail do you want in those reports.

Ah. Well I certainly don't need turn-by turn reports.

I need details if stuff feels incorrect or off in some way, otherwise just a basic what happened and how it happened is enough.

Progress Report

Forgotten Moderate did the pictures for the various candidates and a few other things.

mokbubble2 has the Democratic primaries playtested and working well, and has added a few crusaders and some events (MLK is currently out because it effects play balance. If we can it get working without hurting playability we'll do so).

Remaining Features

-Party strength in the general election

-John Lindsay's percentages.

-State level newspaper endorsers

-Possibly more Candidate crusaders?

-Governor Endorsers (I've decided to try out Governors providing foot soldiers instead of momentum)

Remaining Playtesting

-Democratic Primary (balanced, but it needs wider testing)

-Republican Primary (to make sure Nixon wins most of the time)

-General election (this is tough. Both Humphrey and RFK could have reasonably won the convention [McCarthy was a very long shot, and would have been weak in the general) and Nixon is very likely to have won his. Therefore we have to try and get so that both Humphrey and RFK have a shot, in different ways)

Sorry about the delay. I'm on vacation! B)

Anyway, I'll get the spreadsheet out within a week. I'd also be more than willing to do the candidates.

Hope you're enjoying the vacation.

Well TIME had the delegate count for 1968 at least (not, irritatingly 1976) and we've done the candidates and all. I still want the delegate spreadsheet though—it's useful for every scenario.

As can be seen in my post a little while ago there's not a whole lot left to be done (though if you feel like researching existing state level newspapers in 1968 and entering upwards of 100 that'd be awesome :). If you do have the time you can have the scenario for a couple days to work on it, but otherwise—newspapers aside—we're shooting for a first beta release in about a week.

Forgot one thing though, Remaining Playtesting:

-Work out actual costs for advertising and see how well fund-raising goes and adjust these to close to 1968 values via the fund-raising coefficient and the two money coefficients.

Peace and Freedom Party has now been added, though it is a barebones. It is there mainly for folks who wish to simulate through the scenario. They had a "interesting" primary season though. Very colorful. Comedian DIck Gregory lost, and deceided to run anyway as the Freedom and Peace candidate.

The Democratic Primary looks good now. General electorate strength is done except for Wallace outside of the south. We should have this finsihed by next week, as electronic said.

Ladies and gentlemen we're rolling out the beta test now. There are a few features left to be done but nothing major, and we'll fill them in as we along.

If anyone else wants to be a beta tester email me at electric.monk.ts@gmail.com, subject line 1968 beta. All help is greatly appreciated.

House Rules

-Do not play as a favourite son, and do not turn them off.

-The American Independent Party can only be played in the general, do not play primaries for them.

-National Television must be run nationally, no limiting number of states.

-Only one of: Rockefeller, Romney, Lindsay should be turned on.

-Peace & Freedom Party is for hands-off games only, do not otherwise turn them on.

Playtesting

-Republican Primary (not really tested yet, Nixon should win ~70%+ of the time)

-General election (this is tough. Both Humphrey and RFK could have reasonably won the convention [McCarthy was a very long shot, and would have been weak in the general) and Nixon is very likely to have won his. Therefore we have to try and get so that both Humphrey and RFK have a shot, in different ways)

-Advertising & Fund-raising costs

As of version 0.6:

Remaining Features to be Entered

-John Lindsay's percentages

-Candidate pictures for Thomas Lynch, George Smathers, John Volpe, and James Rhodes

I tried to open the scenario (using Hotmail) and it won't let me open it due to virus issues with the file. Tried forwarding it, but since the file has to be downloaded, and Hotmail wouldn't let me d/l it, it was a moot point.

Just wondering if others are experiencing the same thing?

Gmail let me download it without any trouble, though when I opened the scenario it wouldn't work properly or create a game because the large picture of John McKeithen lacks a "_large" at the end of its filename. I copied the picture and renamed it and now it works fine.

I get an index out of bounds error when I try to end the turn, which stops the game from working.

I just forwarded it to you Mr. Novemeber and e-mailed Electric Monk some feedback.

Since Humphrey is a crusader of LBJ, is it correct to assume that Humphrey and Johnson shouldn't be on at the same time?

Thought I had figured out the problem for a second.

I figured the primaries starting too early was what was causing the out of bounds error, so I made a copy of the scenario and dated all of the March primaries to March 31, and started the primary season on March 25. I made it through the first turn, but then the error occurred on the second turn. Go figure.

I gotcha! you expletive deleted piece of junk.

Apparently one of the fields the game requires is the "interviewer" field. You cannot have no interviewers.

So round 1.1 of the beta test is beginning right now.

Um. I did accidentally kill the Peace and Freedom Party at one point without a back up for them. mokbubble2 will add them in again at some point I imagine (sorry mate).

If anyone knows how to apply the locked icon to the handful of primaries that have already happened when the game begins that would be nice too.

Hasn't changed much:

House Rules

-Do not play as a favourite son, and do not turn them off. Playable candidates are the top ones: RFK, McCarthy, Humphrey/LBJ, Wallace (general only), Nixon, Rockefeller/Romney/Lindsay, Reagan.

-The American Independent Party can only be played in the general, do not play primaries for them.

-National Television ad must be run nationally, no limiting number of states.

-Only one of: Rockefeller, Romney, Lindsay can be turned on.

-Only LBJ or Humphrey can be on.

Playtesting

-Republican Primary (not really tested yet, Nixon should win 70%+ of the time)

-Advertising & Fund-raising costs

As of version 0.67:

Remaining Features to be Entered

-Candidate pictures for Thomas Lynch, George Smathers, John Volpe, and James Rhodes

Instructions For Installing

Double click on it and it should unzip a folder (since you're likely on Windows you should have Winzip which will automatically recognize the file. If not google WinRar and download that application, install it, and then double click on the zipped file).

The folder is named Campaign '68 0.67.

Move this folder to C:Program Files:President Forever 2008+Primaries:Scenarios if you placed the game in the default location. Next time you open the game click the scenario button and it should be there under Campaign '68 0.67.

Feel free to delete earlier versions by dragging them to the Trash. Recycle Bin. Whatever. Stupid Windows.

You forgot to put in that renamed picture of John McKeithen - this time it's not even in the files. The I copied the picture from the old version and renamed it, which got the scenario working again.

Some bugs I've found: I got an Invalid Floating Point Operation in the middle of my game (on the week of the Democratic Indiana and Ohio primaries) which stopped the game from working. I got the same error when I tried to ask a candidate to withdraw in an earlier game. That led to an Index Out of Bounds (22) error. Also, the Israel issue's symbol doesn't make any sense - it's just a red square.

Some bugs I've found: I got an Invalid Floating Point Operation in the middle of my game (on the week of the Democratic Indiana and Ohio primaries) which stopped the game from working. I got the same error when I tried to ask a candidate to withdraw in an earlier game. That led to an Index Out of Bounds (22) error. Also, the Israel issue's symbol doesn't make any sense - it's just a red square.

I'll tell the Dev Team.

I didn't make any new images, just used the existing ones.

You forgot to put in that renamed picture of John McKeithen - this time it's not even in the files. The I copied the picture from the old version and renamed it, which got the scenario working again.

It was there actually (possibly as a random collection of numbers), but John McKeithen is the devil and crashes games. He now has no picture.

-----

Ok. Dev Team says applying the lock icon is impossible.

I suppose we'll have to start the game the day of the NH primary then. There will be no LBJ of course, and HHH/RFK will be in though I'll be dropping their money resources.

Further I'll shift HHH's voters from undecided to leaning to him as there's several extra weeks of play time so you're going to have work for those votes.

Is the lock on the primaries critical? Will the game crash at the convention without it?

I'm trying it out now with version 0.68.

The game isn't terribly effected by moving it earlier—just a little greater suspension of belief. I'm thinking an opening negative momentum against RFK—why didn't you run event? This will be basically counteracted by the RFK keeps Indianapolis quiet event and a new RFK enters for real event.

And a McCarthy forces LBJ to withdraw event for his boost in momentum, which will be crushed by RFK enters for real event.

I'm finding this version of the beta easier than the previous one (though the other one crashed in the middle). In version 0.68 it's easier to recover from losing Wisconsin and to hold the remaining states - Massachusetts falls to McCarthy regardless and the favorite sons almost all start withdrawing pretty quickly.