270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
danieldlmn

Major Update to 2008 election

@KevinTMC

1) Yep.

2 & 3) Not for me to say :)

4) Well 80soft has an upload site for scenarios for everything *but* President Forever 2008 so I don't know what's up with that.

Welcome to the board.

Polls the Republican fields Change to show McCain Down Rudy up with an edge.

Cost: TV Ads Good 80,000 Average 60,000 Poor 50,000 . Cost Changes to run them in good format: In place like Cali it around 2,500,000 in place like VT it 40,000

Radio Ads Good 40,000 Average 30,000 Poor 25,000 Cost Changes to run them in good format: Cali 1,500,000 VT 25,500

Phone Banking. Good 15,000 Average 12,000 Poor 10,000

News Papers Ads Good 25,000 Average 20,000 Poor 15,000 Cost Changes to run them in good format: Cali 900,000 VT 17,000

Direct Mail Ads Good 10,000 Average 8,000 Poor 5,000 Cali 700,000 VT 12,000

To fundraise it 20,000 now but you do get more bang for buck here too. Candidate like Hillary going to bring around 1,500,000-3,000,000 or so A candidate like Kucinich is going bring around 64,000

I change everybody fundraising totals this formula I use: What the Candidate fundraise in 1st quarter x 4 Quarters = there gain total + any money they hand in the banks from previous campaign = there 2nd gain total. Other Candidates who have not enter I had to work around there place in a national poll.

Reach the General Block grants fund have been change to 130,000,000 for both major parties

Barnstorming now cost 16,000

Policy Speech now cost 20,000

15% cut now to win Delegates in democratic party like it is in the DNC Rules

Debate Prep now cost 6,000

Issues Knowledge now cost 1,000

Develop a Campaign now cost 16,000

Doing your own private poll cost 120,000

Spy now cost 10,000 pre Turn

Chelsea Clinton added as crusader

NJ Governor Jon S. Corzine Move to Decided Clinton but not endorse

New to the game will be headline which you will see in the game now.

New active: Town Halls

Woh. Why does Richardson have such low stats, considering he is the most popularly elected governor in New Mexico history as well as seasoned diplomat among other lengthy diverse credentials?

Someone who looks way too powerful is Biden. He started off with 12% and is winning states in my ongoing handsoff test game.

Noted. I will make the change to biden poll Numbers in V12

Keep the feedback coming

I just wound up raising $60 million before the first primary as Kucinich, won the primaries, and had $320 million by May 5...that's a little too powerful.

I don't see how you did it cause I Fundrasie with Kucinich the whole 1st week all i got 148,000 in one week. so how did you get it? You must have gotten establishment up. to do high fundrasing totals

Hello everyone. I think this is a great game, but I am wondering where the historical scenarios and updates have been.

CLARK/BAYH2008, could you send me your scenario? My email address is armchairdespot AT hotmail DOT com

Thanks!

I don't see how you did it cause I Fundrasie with Kucinich the whole 1st week all i got 148,000 in one week. so how did you get it? You must have gotten establishment up. to do high fundrasing totals

I wasn't playing it seriously, so I wound up using all of my PIP's and CP's the first two weeks trying to get the NOW endorsement. I might have done one fundraiser that first week, but got up to about $2.1 million. Since I wasn't playing it seriously and Kucinich has hardly anything to lose, the very first thing I did was to change all of his positions to reflect the party primaries center. Ran an ad on immigration, then went into states where I had very high momentum and fundraised there. I think I had gotten it up to maybe $8 million within a short while. Basically I snowballed the whole thing, and used strictly direct mail ads. Direct mail ads are very cheap (although Clark/Bayh raised the price in v11) but their power is the same as most TV ads. Strictly utilizing direct mail is how I just about always win in the primaries (strangely, it was more difficult to win as Kucinich in pre v11 than it is now). That, and the "snowballing" of money. Not to get into a strategy tangent, but this is a more detailed version of how I've played it with your scenario:

Firstly, go to check your candidates platform and figure out whether or not you hold the center position (nationally) on an important issue, such as Iraq, Immigration, War on Terror, or Homeland Security, and change theme to reflect such. Then, create a Direct Mail ad on, let's say Iraq. Just barnstorm in CA (for the Democrats) that first week, then rest for a week and sit back, create a FS somewhere. Run the Iraq ad nationwide, and get some pretty decent momentum. Hopefully, you have picked up some CP's with high momentum, and try and fundraise in a state with heavy population and high momentum. Pick up a lot of money. Meanwhile create an ad on a second issue, like Immigration. Run the Iraq and the Immigration ad again. Repeat as necessary until virtually the whole map is one color and you're sitting on so much cash, you'd make Bloomberg jealous.

I just played through a Republican primary scenario using v11 and it was good fun.

I was scared off the Town Hall feature because, if I tried to schedule one, I got an error. It would present me with the issue list; I would select one; and then I would get "error in TONYintArray::isNumCellWithinBounds" / "TONYintArray::setValue".

I thought I saw discussion of new fundraising methods on here (e.g. direct mail), but if that was implemented in this version I didn't spot where it was.

I was kinda surprised at how much money I had sloshing around, playing as Sen. Brownback. (I was on Hard difficulty.) Seems to me that finances could stand to be tightened up for middle-tier candidates.

Also, there were way too many big Issue Events. It is good to have more than the default (the game before last, I played through an entire election using the default scenario without seeing even one); but by the conventions in the game I just played, half the issues on the board had Very High importance, several of them having been refreshed with Issue Events multiple times. Many weeks, there would be two or three major Issue Events in a single week's newspapers. That's much too much.

Oh, and this is easily fixed on my end if need be, but I did find some of your replacement candidate photos distracting, being either smunched (Hillary), or with head too small in frame (Richardson), or stretched (that Libertarian guy who looks like GOB Bluth). Improving some of them, and also purging random unused stuff from the image folder, would be worth putting on the to-do list.

Thanks for deciding to put in Thompson. I'm looking forward to playing with Fred. I think it's safe to take Frist out; and George Allen's a dead letter too, you could easily get rid of him as well if you decide to put Chuck Hagel in at some point.

On the Democratic side, if you've got an extra spot, Mike Gravel would be the logical next declared candidate to add (he at least used to be somebody).

Thanks for all the work you've put into this. Good job so far.

I just played through a Republican primary scenario using v11 and it was good fun.

I was scared off the Town Hall feature because, if I tried to schedule one, I got an error. It would present me with the issue list; I would select one; and then I would get "error in TONYintArray::isNumCellWithinBounds" / "TONYintArray::setValue".

I thought I saw discussion of new fundraising methods on here (e.g. direct mail), but if that was implemented in this version I didn't spot where it was.

I was kinda surprised at how much money I had sloshing around, playing as Sen. Brownback. (I was on Hard difficulty.) Seems to me that finances could stand to be tightened up for middle-tier candidates.

Also, there were way too many big Issue Events. It is good to have more than the default (the game before last, I played through an entire election using the default scenario without seeing even one); but by the conventions in the game I just played, half the issues on the board had Very High importance, several of them having been refreshed with Issue Events multiple times. Many weeks, there would be two or three major Issue Events in a single week's newspapers. That's much too much.

Oh, and this is easily fixed on my end if need be, but I did find some of your replacement candidate photos distracting, being either smunched (Hillary), or with head too small in frame (Richardson), or stretched (that Libertarian guy who looks like GOB Bluth). Improving some of them, and also purging random unused stuff from the image folder, would be worth putting on the to-do list.

Thanks for deciding to put in Thompson. I'm looking forward to playing with Fred. I think it's safe to take Frist out; and George Allen's a dead letter too, you could easily get rid of him as well if you decide to put Chuck Hagel in at some point.

On the Democratic side, if you've got an extra spot, Mike Gravel would be the logical next declared candidate to add (he at least used to be somebody).

Thanks for all the work you've put into this. Good job so far.

It wasn't actually direct mail fundraising, but instead running cheap direct mail ads to achieve high momentum, then scheduling a s**tload of fundraisers the following week, repeating as necessary until virtually all of the map is one color and you're pushing 40%+ national support before the Iowa caucus.

The error message that comes up when town hall's are scheduled go away after clicking OK and as far as I can tell it won't cause the game to crash. Also, I'm afraid that Tommy Thompson is the only Thompson in v11, but Frist has endorsed Fred Thompson if he runs, so I might try turning Frist on to simulate Fred Thompson's effect.