270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
danieldlmn

Major Update to 2008 election

Yeah, the Florida one is in contention right now, as I know that the RNC Chairman, Mike Duncan, went down to Tallahassee a few days ago and told Republican leaders that they would strip Florida of all their pledged delegates, seat them in the nosebleed section at the convention (they're usually on the front row), give them the shittiest rooms imaginable, take away platform input, things like that if they moved it up to Jan. 29...

Hey Mr. CLARK/BAYH2008.

Thank you for all your hard work. And thank you Softi80 for allowing me to post. :ph34r:

Instead of trying to update everything myself with my insignificant knowledge-base, <_<, I would like to have a go with this very well spoken of scenario.

Please, if you would be so kind to send out a copy of the delicious scenario to: m@dfchl.com, it would be highly appreciated! I am DYING to see what I can make out of a Richardson-run. :P

Thanks again for putting it all together for us. B)

//MJ

Random Idea: Maybe it would be a smart idea to consider putting the files up on the scenario-list on the main-site; this way it would get more publicity, people would get it faster and the genius creator wouldn't have to go through the process of sending it out to every fool who needs their daily pol-sim fix. ;)

Given that this is—oddly—the only scenario for the Primaries version of President Forever (Why?) I too would like to add my name to the queue for the latest version.

electric.monk.ts@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all the hard work.

I just sent out 2008 V9. Let me know if you didn't get it or had problems with it.

V9

Refine Former Gov. Romney position on Social Issues.

Refine Sen. Brownback on Iraq and Outsourcing

Moved California to Fed 5th

Moved Gov. Timothy M. Kaine to decide Obama but not endorse

Add movie stars cash endorsers (more than one)

Change Republican Numbers to match Giuliani front runner status and McCain fall and to match Romney as insurgency campaign.

There may be more stuff I change. I just don't remember it all.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Daniel

I got V9 and tried it out. I ran as Kubby, a Libertarian, with Phillies and Stanhope both active. I made all the Dems and Reps active, but left Peroutka and Bloomberg out.

I was doing well, leading 900+ delegates out the 1450 and pulling away, when all of a sudden the whole country turned on me! In one turn Stanhope jumped 25 points in the popular vote while I dropped 19. He went from leading 230ish delegates to over 1000 while I dropped to less than 200.

I saw no reason for this sudden turnaround. Stanhope was showing -0.7 momentum while I had +1.2. Neither of us had a news event. It happened with 34 weeks left until the election.

Any ideas on why this happened?

I got V9 and tried it out. I ran as Kubby, a Libertarian, with Phillies and Stanhope both active. I made all the Dems and Reps active, but left Peroutka and Bloomberg out.

I was doing well, leading 900+ delegates out the 1450 and pulling away, when all of a sudden the whole country turned on me! In one turn Stanhope jumped 25 points in the popular vote while I dropped 19. He went from leading 230ish delegates to over 1000 while I dropped to less than 200.

I saw no reason for this sudden turnaround. Stanhope was showing -0.7 momentum while I had +1.2. Neither of us had a news event. It happened with 34 weeks left until the election.

Any ideas on why this happened?

Try it again see if it happens again i want to see if happens twice in roll and let me know.

I'm getting an error, something like "invalid handle" or something like that. I'm playing as Newt Gingrich and getting it about 5 weeks in.

I May send you another copy cause am not am getting error and sometimes it will mess up on people when i send it out in a big mail

Thanks again keep feedback coming

Slightly differently worded issue stances (I changed like one, the Left same-sex marriage stance), fixed the white bar appearing next to Hillary's small picture (which is in the news thing in the game), and that's it.

Beta Notes:

Despite having a 62.7% to 37.3% lead (well, it varies but always a consistent one) over Giuliani in the primary (as Frist)—and having the nomination won—the newspaper insists that Giuliani is leading me in polls. It happens almost every turn (with as many as 4 headlines) .

Oddly it does select Frist to match against Gore for those newspaper headlines.

Why o' why would Gore select Joe Biden to be his VP? That's pure insanity when he has Obama or Richardson. Also Clinton withdrew fairly on, it seems like she should enough money and staff to fight on regardless of conditions.

I don't know if you need tweaking but the second time I played your scenario (both on hard—the first was a Gore vs. Romney nail-biter, I didn't know who'd win until election night) Frist/Giuliani (me) destroyed Gore/Biden as follows:

the popular vote was 60.7% (69,452,881) to 39.3% (45,051,136)

and in the electoral college 521 to 17

Gore managed to win the states of Vermont and Washington, as well as D.C. and Puerto Rico.

Coming off of 8 years of Bush 43, and coupled with no party keeping the White House after a two-term president (since FDR and term limits) this seems a little unlikely.

And yes pairing a conservative with a liberal probably sucked in all the independent voters and Giuliani likely made it easier to carry New York but I'd say I'm probably a couple percent too high in the vote. I honestly can't imagine anybody getting much over 55% in the general. I did better—EV—then FDR in 1936 for cryin' out loud.

Is there any particular reason to include the Americans Abroad, Guam, and so forth down the side? Yes it makes it more realistic but it's unneeded since they don't affect primaries or electoral college—and Gore campaigning in Puerto Rico is all kinds of unlikely (though he did win it… :). I like the verisimilitude but at the same time no campaign would ever include them in their calculations since they don't effect the board.

Beta Notes:

There are two of Romney, or rather he appears that way while playing. He offers to withdraw twice which also appears as two withdrawal messages, two newspaper articles, and two vice-president choices.

The problem appears to occur only if you refuse their first withdrawal offer. You may have to then make an offer for their endorsement for the duplication to start, I'm not sure.

Rod blagojevich is probably not a real person (newspaper campaigner for Obama) Well don't I have egg on my face. In a small attempt to salvage this his last name should be capitalized.