270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
danieldlmn

Major Update to 2008 election

1) I think you have Obama and Huckabee underrated on a number of stats (specifically charisma). And there's no way that Bayh gets a 4 for charisma. The guy is a total stiff.

I completely agree with this. Obama should at least get a 2 for experience. He's new to the Senate but not to politics in general and the charisma ratings on both Huckabee and Obama should be a little higher.

First of all, great job!

I just had a lot of fun playing through the primaries with Obama. A number of the things I was going to say have already been said, but I'll say 'em anyway.

1) I like what you did with the lower undecideds. I actually had some trouble winning the primaries and couldn't just walk into Iowa and pick up 20% support in the first week of the game. Keep the undecideds and hard/soft support like it is!

2) Obama's experience should be 2, not 1. Just about every turn, I was getting a scandal on Obama/experience. While experience would be a weakness for Obama, as it was for Edwards in 2004, it's not that much of a black hole.

3) I agree with Mrdie on Gore's issue positions. I also like his new descriptions for Iran and Terrorism for far left.

4) I really like the NRLC and ACLU endorsements. They should even out for the Republican and the Democrat, but they have the potential to simulate discontent with a nominee who doesn't toe the party line on abortion. For instance, if Rudy Giuliani is the Republican nominee, in real life he would have trouble motivating single issue pro-life voters. If you play with third party's, that can really make things interesting. Peroutka getting the NRLC endorsement would do a good job simulating that discontent.

I think there is some potential to expand this interest group endorsement system to a couple of other issues:

Here are some ideas for groups that could be added, and still maintain Left/Right balance.

Education: National Education Association - Far Left

Personal Tax: American's for Tax Reform - Far Right

Iraq: The Anti-War Movement (I can't think of a main official interest group for this?) - Far Left

Immigration: Minuteman Project - Far Right

Social Security (or could be outsourcing): Club for Growth - Far Right

Same-Sex Marriage: Human Rights Campaign - Far Left

5) As Obama, I was endorsed by Bill Clinton. Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton was endorsed by Jimmy Carter. The endorsements by people are weird. I also agree that 51 foot soldiers might be a bit too powerful for personal endorsements.

Also, could the business tax issue be changed? Either Stem Cell Research or Religion/Faith would be an improvement, I think.

Stem Cell Research

Far Left: Move on to Human Cloning!

Left: Eliminate Restrictions on Stem Cell Research and significantly increase funding.

Center-Left: Eliminate Restrictions on Stem Cell Research.

Center: Stem Cell Research raises ethical concerns, but the benefits are too great to pass up.

Center-Right: Stem Cell Research Raises moral concerns so it should not be publicly funded, but private research is OK.

Right: Stem Cell research takes human life and is immoral.

Far Right: Stem Cell research is murder and private stem cell research should be banned.

Faith/Religion

Far Left: Anti-Religious!

Left: Secular/Religion and politics don't mix/Religion is a private matter.

Center-Left: Religious Left/Minority Religion/We should be wary of mixing religion and politics too much.

Center: Mainline Protestant/Catholic/Religion is partly public and partly private.

Center-Right: Faith is Public/Faith and Politics mix pretty well most of the time.

Right: Religious Right/Faith is a public matter.

Far Right: The Rapture is coming!

I've never seen business tax as much of an issue, so I'm all for that. I do really like the faith issue as well though. Maybe Affirmative Action could be eliminated; I've never seen that as much of an issue.

I agree the Far Left position wasn't great. It was all I could think of. Maybe something like this???

Far Left: Eliminate Restrictions on Stem Cell Research and massively increase funding for a Stem Cell "Manhattan Project!"

Yeah I like that one better too and the religion idea is not a bad one although it would certainly not be as big an issue for 2008 as stem-cells will be. Stem cells replacing business tax sounds pretty good to me.

can anybody tell me where most the candidate stand Stem cell

Anyone know where to find this so we can help out? I tried looking around for a few but I can't find an organization that gives rankings for this subject so its hard to find an accurate indictor of where all the candidates stand. Anyone able to help?

I found one site that has some info on HR 810 - An Act To amend the Public Health Service Act to provide for human embryonic stem cell research. You can see how each Senator and Congressmen voted on it. Doesn't give them a score or anything, but I think right now politicians are either for or against this issue, doesn't seem to be much of a gray area in stances yet.

http://stemcellaction.org/pages/index.php?...id=57&Itemid=65

For Governers, Mayors and others, I think thier websites probably tell where they stand.

Hope this helps.

Anyone know where to find this so we can help out? I tried looking around for a few but I can't find an organization that gives rankings for this subject so its hard to find an accurate indictor of where all the candidates stand. Anyone able to help?

I'd be willing to help