270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
admin_270

President Forever + Primaries FAQ

I was adding a few more candidates to the Primaries version, and I came across a problem with the images. For whatever reason, a few images won't work despite the fact that they are the same size and format as the other images that do work.

I get the error message: "Invalid image size". After this, I see the name of all the candidates, but no pictures for any of them, including those candidates who have images that work. The odd thing is that if I click on the candidates profile I see their image, including the image that I was given the "invalid image size" about. Again, the image(s) that are giving me problems are the exact same size and format of other working images.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Can someone help?

Edit: Nevermind...I figured it out. I must have had the images just a TINY bit smaller than they should have been. Hah

Added to the FAQ

Q. I want to change something or other in the scenario files. How do I do that?

First, before changing anything, go to the Scenarios folder in the President Forever + Primaries Folder, and make a copy of the scenario folder you want to edit (for example, copy the United States - 2008 folder, and then paste it). Then rename this new folder something unique. Now go to the new folder, and right-click on an XML file in it. Open it with WordPad or NotePad. You can now edit the file contents. Any files that are edited in the default scenario folders (such as United States - 2008) might be overwritten in an upgrade. Although the program makes backups of files before replacing any, this can cause a hassle, so as suggested above always make a new folder in which to edit files first.

I followed what 80soft said to do but this is what the xml file came up with:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invalid at the top level of the document. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Program Files/President Forever + Primaries...

- <parties>

^

I wonder what it could be <_<

I followed what 80soft said to do but this is what the xml file came up with:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invalid at the top level of the document. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Program Files/President Forever + Primaries...

- <parties>

^

I wonder what it could be <_<

Hooray! Conrad is finally happy that I can change the files! Now only if the autoupdate could work I would be doing an irish jig every full moon!

When playing with the primaries I consistently get the two messages, "List index out of bounds" and

"Invalid floating point operation" whenever I click "Done Turn". This only occurs when playing with primaries on; when I turn them off I can click "Done Turn" and everything works fine.

Is 80soft planning to develop an application that can make editing scenarios easier? (Besides the candidate editor)

Hi Demrepdan,

We will be releasing a version soon that should fix this problem.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

When playing with the primaries I consistently get the two messages, "List index out of bounds" and

"Invalid floating point operation" whenever I click "Done Turn". This only occurs when playing with primaries on; when I turn them off I can click "Done Turn" and everything works fine.

Hi Mrdie,

Thanks for the question. We are seriously looking at making a full-featured President Forever + Primaries Scenario Editor, if we believe there will be enough demand for it.

Is 80soft planning to develop an application that can make editing scenarios easier? (Besides the candidate editor)

I also think a full scenario editor would be a great thing. It would be nice to have an easy way to potentially convert all the 3rd party historical scenarios for PF 2004 as well - though that would probably be fairly difficult to do.

<party_stance>

<party id="democratic">

<initial_stance>leaning</initial_stance>

</party>

</party_stance>

<leader_stance>

</leader_stance>

Tony I have question what can leader_ stance be use for in the endorsement file

leader_stance can be used to set a bonus for a particular leader. For example,

<leader_stance>

<leader id="hillary_clinton">

</leader>

</leader_stance>

should give Hillary Clinton that initial score with the endorser.

<party_stance>

<party id="democratic">

</party>

</party_stance>

<leader_stance>

</leader_stance>

Tony I have question what can leader_ stance be use for in the endorsement file

Tony Another question what am doing wrong here Can't seem to get the event to run and this just test just trying get where i can gear it toward certian cnadidate so can you tell me what am doing wrong or what i can do to get it to gear toward certian people.

</event>

<event id="event_h_clinton">

<times_can_occur>1</times_can_occur>

<will_occur>1</will_occur>

<chance_occurs>100</chance_occurs>

<start_date>10/2/2007</start_date>

<end_date>10/31/2007</end_date>

<conditions>

<condition type="who">

<leader id="hillary_clinton" />

</leader>

</condition>

</condition>

</condition>

</conditions>

<outcomes>

<outcome>

<chance>50</chance>

<profile_change>1</profile_change>

<chance_issue_center_moves>0</chance_issue_center_moves>

<distance_issue_center_moves>0</distance_issue_center_moves>

<target_issue_center>3</target_issue_center>

<momentum_change>100</momentum_change>

<headline> Clinton Release Education plan</headline>

<issue_affected id = "education" />

<effects>

<momentum>1</momentum>

</leader>

<party id="democratic">

<momentum>0</momentum>

</party>

</effects>

</outcome>

<outcome>

<chance>50</chance>

<headline>Bush momentum changes! 2</headline>

<issue_affected id = "business_tax" />

<effects>

<leader id="george_w_bush">

<momentum>1</momentum>

</leader>

<party id="republican">

<momentum>1</momentum>

</party>

<viceleader id="richard_cheney">

<momentum>1</momentum>

</viceleader>

</effects>

</outcome>

</outcomes>

Tony Another question what am doing wrong here Can't seem to get the event to run and this just test just trying get where i can gear it toward certian cnadidate so can you tell me what am doing wrong or what i can do to get it to gear toward certian people.

Complete guess, but have you tried removing the extra </condition> tags? You only open it once, but you close it three times.

</event>

<event id="event_h_clinton">

<times_can_occur>1</times_can_occur>

<will_occur>1</will_occur>

<chance_occurs>100</chance_occurs>

<start_date>10/2/2007</start_date>

<end_date>10/31/2007</end_date>

<conditions>

<condition type="who">

<leader id="hillary_clinton" />

</leader>

</condition>

</condition>

</condition>

</conditions>

<outcomes>

<outcome>

<chance>50</chance>

<headline> Clinton Release Education plan</headline>

<issue_affected id = "education" />

<effects>

<momentum>1</momentum>

</leader>

<party id="democratic">

<momentum>0</momentum>

</party>

</effects>

</outcome>

<outcome>

<chance>50</chance>

<headline>Bush momentum changes! 2</headline>

<issue_affected id = "business_tax" />

<effects>

<leader id="george_w_bush">

<momentum>1</momentum>

</leader>

<party id="republican">

<momentum>1</momentum>

</party>

<viceleader id="richard_cheney">

<momentum>1</momentum>

</viceleader>

</effects>

</outcome>

</outcomes>

Tony Can you help me out here am in the event files and this is the only type of event that i have yet nail down. I can tell one thing for sure it looks like your able direct it toward one candidate or something. can you explane what am doing or give me explame of one

Hi Clark/Bayh2008,

Can you please rephrase this - I'm not sure what's being asked.

Thanks,

Tony Can you help me out here am in the event files and this is the only type of event that i have yet nail down. I can tell one thing for sure it looks like your able direct it toward one candidate or something. can you explane what am doing or give me explame of one

Hi there,

To change the percentages for a candidate nationally, you can select multiple regions on their percentages screen in the Candidate Editor, by either holding down the shift button and pressing the up or down arrows to select multiple adjacent regions, or holding down the control (ctrl) button while clicking regions.

I have a question. How does one change the national percentages? I am trying to make a new scenario using the 2004 scenario as my base, but I would like to change the %s for everything. Any help on this would be appreciated.

I'm trying to adjust my game to reflect actual delegate counts (some of them, like Texas for the Democrats, are WAAAAY off), and wanted to ask where the number of delegates necessary to win the nomination is coded, or is that figured automatically? Thanks in advance.