270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
admin_270

President Forever + Primaries - What's Next

First, thanks to everyone here for the feedback - it is much appreciated.

Second, the sense we get from the comments is that the primaries phase of the game works well, but the post-primaries phase can go sideways, leading to unrealistic results. As is usual, we are interested in suggestions you guys have, and will be doing our best to make the game better over the next while.

Here is a view of what we are working on right now:

(We have just released v. 1.00.1, and it will be sent to everyone via e-mail. Once this version is installed, it will contain an AutoUpdater.)

1. The game can sometimes crash post-primaries. We have already caught what we believe are most of the bugs here, and it is our first priority.

2. Modifying post-primaries and third-party gameplay. There are times when the results are unrealistic. We'll change it so that the electorate is still plastic enough for the primaries, but doesn't do things like send South Dakota into the arms of the Dems or make Alabama into a Constitution party stronghold.

3. Tweaking election night. We'll have an option to speed it up.

I'll also start an FAQ here to answer questions that come up.

Thanks!

Once the issues mentioned in Anthony's post above are addressed, I predict this game will be reviewed positively by major news organizations. I also predict that it will be used by candidates' organizations and campaign managers as well as by both major parties (as well as some minor parties) as a tool in developing and running their real life campaigns for president.

"John McCain: Which states should we target this week?

McCain's Campaign Manager: Well, let's start the discussion with my latest PF+P scenario."

Mark my words!

Keith

McCain: OH DAMN CONSTITUTION PARTY WON ALABAMA BY 50%

McCain's advisor: QUICK! CAMPAIGN THERE LIKE A F**** ********* *** ************ *********

Yeah, once the issues are adressed. :P

Yeah, one time I went through the primaries in 2004 as Kerry, won, then started out winning in one state: Alabama. I did win, but Kerry kept collapsing and was totally broke by the end. So, yeah, if you do make the general election less affected by primaries, that'd be great.

Honestly, I'm happy to play it as a primaries game or a general election game... so I haven't experienced the crazy general election results yet.

I do think the most pressing problem is the fact that no one is dropping out in the primaries. Half the point of playing as a Lieberman or Clark is to see if you can pick and choose states, hold back resources, and outlast some of the lesser candidates like Bob Graham, Braun, etc.

I can't even offer my VP slot in exchange for getting one of them to drop out and endorse me because it won't let me select both options on the same offer.

I can't even offer my VP slot in exchange for getting one of them to drop out and endorse me because it won't let me select both options on the same offer.

As far as I've seen, a candidate becoming your veep also endorses you. The same thing happened in two different games when I got Kerry to endorse me in one, and to become my veep in the second. All of his delegates and votes went to me. The only difference was that in the second case, I could also control him.

The AutoUpdater will run automatically - when the game starts, you will be notified if there are updates and be given the option to download them. It won't work by clicking the program in the game folder.

Tony,

I've loaded v 1.00.2. Do I need to do anything more on my end to activate the AutoUpdater, or is it all set by virtue of my loading the updated version?

Thanks.

Keith

The AutoUpdater will run automatically - when the game starts, you will be notified if there are updates and be given the option to download them. It won't work by clicking the program in the game folder.

Thanks.

Keith

hi,

the new game is great. thanks to 80soft for all the work you spend on it.

one minor question: wasnt it planed to allow candidates that lost their parties nomination to run as independents?

one minor question: wasnt it planed to allow candidates that lost their parties nomination to run as independents?
They're planning to put that in at a later date.

I actually have more problems during the "primaries" than I do during the "general". While neither are running 'smoothly', the game has yet to crash during gameplay. Most of the errors I have received are the "list index out of bounds error" while trying to release a scandal. And occasionally during gameplay. The red state/blue state ratio during the general, after the primaries is still off, but I found a way around it, I just toggle the "P" box just to the left of the 'undecided' column. It toggles between the primary colors and the general colors, so you can keep an eye on what the opposite party is doing while you are in primary season.

I don't like the fact that Clinton "automatically" wins the nomination every time, so I had to tweak, and make her weaker, cause I wanted Edwards to get the nom. I can't stand Kerry, so I made him weaker too. And I just turn Warner off. I do the same with Guiliani cause I doubt he will run, Gingrich either. And Allen is a definite no.

Anyways, I wonder if anyone else is having the issue of not being able to "spin" news during the primary season. I am able to do this during the general, but not during the primary. Also, my CP's for Edwards are 14 for most of the primary season, until after the convention, then they jump to 21, then they drop to 2. This happens no matter who I play as. It's really annoying. Other than that, I love the game

Any suggestions or comments?

Same here, I can't spin news in the primary, and, other than turning other players off, I can't seem to win a majority of delegate votes, and candidates who know they're gonna get eliminated at the convention keep going on running ads and all and not dropping out and endorsing someone.

Also, now 3 or 4 games in a row, I've gone to the convention in the top 2 (Clinton was always the other) - once as the delegate leader. Once Hillary even had a party rating of "0" yet every single time Clinton got everyone's delegates. I mean, is there some way that it determines who they throw their delegates to or what? I can't seem to figure out what it is either.

I also get the error when trying to release the scandal as well.

You can probably spin news, it's just not very intuitive. You see, since there are seven turns, there are seven newspapers. The game gives you the earliest to look at, and, in the top left of the newspaper, gives you an arrow to see the ones from the other days of the week. You can spin the news of the last newspaper.