270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
extreme_right

PF - P

Worth the purchase, without dobut. After all the bugs are ironed out, and people start learning XML, I'm sure we will see some really great scenarios come out.

Worth the purchase, without dobut. After all the bugs are ironed out, and people start learning XML, I'm sure we will see some really great scenarios come out.

I have some schooling in XML, so I'm going to see what I can do about adapting this platform to Canadian leadership conventions.

I'm going to see what I can do about adapting this platform to Canadian leadership conventions.

I should think it could be quite good for doing British leadership contetsts too...

I love the game, aside from the minor bugs.

Anyways thats a really great idea, I'd love to see canadian leadership conventions that lead onto a general federal election!

I love this game. Certainly some bugs, but its great! THe game feel is different, and this is clearly my favorite game now. Once the bugs are taken care of itll be even better.

Love it, though I'm not a big fan of the very unrealistic polling for each party after the primaries, which I think has to do with where every person in the primaries campaigned at, and that transfers over to the general. I think that could be fixed by having registered voters be of a certain political party, and make it so primary campaigning only helps you among members of your own party.

I've posted a few bugs and observations in another thread, but overall I see tremendous promise in this game. Well worth the purchase and waiting a few days/weeks as the bugs are ironed out and things get even better.

More than anything right now I would like to see the "Offers" system fixed so that I can actually make deals with other candidates to get them to drop out, etc.

Or just in general, more candidates should be dropping out. Once Bob Graham gets 3% of the vote in Iowa and 3% of the vote in New Hampshire, he would have abandoned his campaign. Instead, he charges along all the way to the convention. The field should thin much quicker if one candidate starts to pull ahead by a lot. Ten candidates in Iowa should be down to 5 or less by Super Tuesday... including 1-2 oddballs like Sharpton that keep running no matter what.

So far in both games I've played, no one has actually dropped out of the race yet. It's making it really hard for me to get a resolution other than a contested convention. :(

Also, in the 2004 scenario... Lieberman and Dean are the same exact color... makes it difficult to play as either of them because you're never quite sure what states you're leading in.

I agree with Austin on the dropping out thing - there are always candidates who would've in real life dropped out weeks ago but remain in the game.

Hold up... I just had Edwards and Clark withdraw and throw their support behind Clinton. That was after she had clinched the nomination though (in real life they would've been out weeks before).

Also, shouldn't there be some more emphasis on the momentum that is gained from winning early primaries? A poor showing in Iowa or New Hampshire can kill a candidate--even if he or she would have relatively strong states coming up next.

Also, shouldn't there be some more emphasis on the momentum that is gained from winning early primaries? A poor showing in Iowa or New Hampshire can kill a candidate--even if he or she would have relatively strong states coming up next.

I agree.

How come I can't get any computer players to accept a deal to drop out or become my VP? Are other people having this problem, too? It's after the last primary, but before the convention. I've come in 2nd place in terms of delegates. I'm offering 20 PIP's to the 4th and 5th place candidates who have 100% good relations with me, and I don't know what else to do!

Or just in general, more candidates should be dropping out. Once Bob Graham gets 3% of the vote in Iowa and 3% of the vote in New Hampshire, he would have abandoned his campaign. Instead, he charges along all the way to the convention. The field should thin much quicker if one candidate starts to pull ahead by a lot. Ten candidates in Iowa should be down to 5 or less by Super Tuesday... including 1-2 oddballs like Sharpton that keep running no matter what.

So far in both games I've played, no one has actually dropped out of the race yet. It's making it really hard for me to get a resolution other than a contested convention. :(

That's aserious problem. To me it never feels asthough I'm fighting a true primaries campaign. In real life, people would be dropping out and doing deals.

Nice game. I did see a few oddities though. I was playing the 2004 scenario as Nader and thought he was a lot weaker than he should be (1 or 2 CP?) Secoind in that scenario, Bush easily took some states like Illinois and Michigan (which are solid Democrat) --this was in a scenario without the Primaries.

Looking at the XML files, it seems that there are two many undecideds

If I understand correctly, the Policy Speeches have nationwide impact instead of just in a given state (so you don't travel to Florida for your Social Security speech)

The Election Night was really good, but there are ways to make it better. First,perhaps there should be an indication when each state is "called" for a candidiate (maybe shifting from light to dark color).

Is there a way to just fast-forward to the end when a candidate has 270 confirmed EVs?

Also, what should we be doing between the last primary and the convention?

Itr's great except:

There's loads of bugs concerning scandals, moving to the GE, not being able to see all the candidates on election night and the wrong result on election night.

Denocratic strongholds go GOP even in close elections.

The whole game sometimes crashes.

We now have a week to week setup that is probably more hassle than day by day. (Yes I know that would mean nearly 400 turns but it should be long anyway).

The money could be seen as a bit strange.

There don't seem to be any randomn events

I never seem to get interviewed though all the other candidates do.

Policy speeches seem to get no coverage.

No one ever drops out. (Kerry came last in a string of primaries but still carried on)

The offers system is either very complicated or doesn't work.

The electoral strategy in the GE is a complete mess and impossible to decipher (the map also seems to insist on giving the name (2 letters) of each state and it just looks cluttered)

There's this huge period of confusion between the last primary and the official begining of the GE.

Apart from the fact that this game is unplyable, it's great.

Itr's great except:

There's loads of bugs concerning scandals, moving to the GE, not being able to see all the candidates on election night and the wrong result on election night.

The whole game sometimes crashes.

We now have a week to week setup that is probably more hassle than day by day. (Yes I know that would mean nearly 400 turns but it should be long anyway).

The money could be seen as a bit strange.

There don't seem to be any randomn events

No one ever drops out. (Kerry came last in a string of primaries but still carried on)

The electoral strategy in the GE is a complete mess and impossible to decipher (the map also seems to insist on giving the name (2 letters) of each state and it just looks cluttered)

There's this huge period of confusion between the last primary and the official begining of the GE.

Apart from the fact that this game is unplyable, it's great.

LiberalUK,

Why the, IMHO unnecessary, sarcasm and anger? I'm sure Tony would be more than happy to refund your money and you can take your emotionally charged complaints to another software developer who is developing election games of the detail that 80soft is.

Keith

One thing I am noticing in the general election is a disconect with the polls. For an example, how is it that a major state like Florida or Texas will have the Rs up by 20 points one week, and then the next week have it a toss up.

In my game, I have Newt with a big lead, all week long, nothing but scandals has been released on Clinton, and yet these big states make this huge swing to Clinton. And then the next day, after loosing 20 points in those states, the newspaper sawys Newt "has the big Mo."

Can anyone make sense of this?

I'll try to address this point by point.

Itr's great except:

There is a scandal bug, which we are having trouble recreating (and so trouble fixing). There is also a bug that sometimes crashes the game moving from primaries into the general election. We thought we had fixed it with v. 1.00.2, but evidently not for all systems. We'll keep focusing on this.

Not being able to see all the candidates on election night - I am assuming you mean at the bottom of the screen. They are ranked and put into 4 spots. All the candidates can be viewed on the side panel.

This is due to the large number of undecideds in the game. We are looking at how to keep the voters plastic enough for the primaries, but not so that they will turn red states into blue, and vice versa.

Could you say a little more about this? What do you find to be a hassle, exactly?

Are you referring to during the primaries portion of the game, or is this also happening for you in the general election?

We'll be expanding the help file to better explain the offers system, and try to make it more intuitive inside the game as well.

Could you expand on this point? What exactly in the Electoral Strategy is impossible to decipher? What exactly is wrong with the map?

Could you say a little more about this? What do you find to be a hassle, exactly?

The newspaper is very long and it would take ages to read the 'recap' section. (others have pointed this out) I think the main point is that if these things were broken down over 7 days it would actually be easier. A full election is going to take a long time however you game it. I think just accepting a lot of turns would have been better. Lots of simple turns is easier than a turn with 21 CPs and loads of info in the recap section to trawl through. Ok for that section of the game you'd have 7 turns for every 1 at the mo, but they'd probably take a 7th of the time.

Are you referring to during the primaries portion of the game, or is this also happening for you in the general election?

Primaries, though it might be OK. Just seems very hard to get an interview.

---------

For the record, I like the week by week set up. So much easier to organize. The general election should have that option too if at all possible.

The biggie I have with the general election is the plastic voters versus nonplastic. No real bugs so far except that when I try to save during the general election, the game crashes.

Could you expand on this point? What exactly in the Electoral Strategy is impossible to decipher? What exactly is wrong with the map?

It also seems that every state on the map is labelled whether or not it is in the strategy. could we revert to the P4E style rather than PM4E? Or maybe have the option of not labbeling them at all. (most of us know them by now).

It's probably best if you look at the game while reading this.

i've just got version 1.00.2 which seems ok for some but not all of this.

Please don't go to day-by-day during the primaries. That would be completely overwhelming.

I hate the day-by-day of the general election, because if feels so limiting after being able to plan a week during the primaries. Presidential campaigns do not plan day-by-day. But part of my dislike of it is the crippled "only can move when barnstorming" thing that makes me feel trapped when I want to do something other than barnstorm (seriously, it's almost painful to not be able to move my candidates around, even if I'm just moving them for the sake of moving them). I know I've gone on about this before in another thread, but it's just such a drastic downgrade compared to the flexibility of the old game that it astounds me.

There's a happy medium here, I'm sure. Perhaps major news events could "intrude" on your plan and cut it short, forcing you to scramble to change itineraries. The recaps could be reworded so that they're clear. Instead of seven "background fundraising," there should be only one -- you're recapping a week, don't break it down day by day.

Please don't go to day-by-day during the primaries. That would be completely overwhelming.

I hate the day-by-day of the general election, because if feels so limiting after being able to plan a week during the primaries. Presidential campaigns do not plan day-by-day. But part of my dislike of it is the crippled "only can move when barnstorming" thing that makes me feel trapped when I want to do something other than barnstorm (seriously, it's almost painful to not be able to move my candidates around, even if I'm just moving them for the sake of moving them). I know I've gone on about this before in another thread, but it's just such a drastic downgrade compared to the flexibility of the old game that it astounds me.

There's a happy medium here, I'm sure. Perhaps major news events could "intrude" on your plan and cut it short, forcing you to scramble to change itineraries. The recaps could be reworded so that they're clear. Instead of seven "background fundraising," there should be only one -- you're recapping a week, don't break it down day by day.

It would seem that most prefer week by week campaigning but is there nay chance of a day by day option for nice long games, or is it too hard to program?

The game is long enough as it is. I like the week-by-week structure -- going day-by-day would make the game seven times longer!! That's insane, and unworkable.

The problem is that 80soft made the turns weekly, but kept everything else based on a daily structure (campaign events, news, etc.). This is what makes things so confusing. If you're going to base the turns off of a weekly structure, then everything should be based on a weekly structure. You should just have ONE newspaper for each week, and ONE set of 'recap' events for each week.