270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Taft

P4EP Bug

Another bug report...

I turned off primaries and decided to play a Bush-Kerry-Nader game in the 2004 general election scenario. I was playing as Nader.

In the setup screen it says Nader has $100,000 to start with... however when it actually starts he has $0. If I do anything to exceed my CP allowance, like hold a fundraiser, the game crashes. If I do anything to drive my bank balance negative.... the game crashes.

Essentially this makes Nader unplayable... not sure how it works with the other third parties.

When I was finally able to win the 2008 GOP primary as Newt Gingrich (taking Bill Owens as my VP), the map seemed to be screwed up (none of Edwards' foot soldiers showed up, but mine showed up as HIS -- blue! -- even though I could control them!). And then I clicked DONE TURN and got the error message, "List index out of bounds (-8)". Then I clicked done turn again, and all the red states turned white, and I got the error message, "List index out of bounds (-1)"

:angry:

Same here.

+Does anyone know how the 'offers' system works? The help file is pretty thin.

It appears that when no candidates reach 270 ev's, election night never ends.

Edit: NVM, it decided. Took untill 2:00 AM the next day, though. And without a thing to speed it up...

craverguy (9:55:49 AM): Also, I think I found out why the primaries keep ending in deadlock.

craverguy (9:56:24 AM): They don't occur in any linear order. They just sort of happen all at once. So no candidates ever drop out, and no one ever gets a majority.

Another bug report...

I turned off primaries and decided to play a Bush-Kerry-Nader game in the 2004 general election scenario. I was playing as Nader.

In the setup screen it says Nader has $100,000 to start with... however when it actually starts he has $0. If I do anything to exceed my CP allowance, like hold a fundraiser, the game crashes. If I do anything to drive my bank balance negative.... the game crashes.

Essentially this makes Nader unplayable... not sure how it works with the other third parties.

Austin,

How did you turn off the primaries phase of the game?

Keith

craverguy (9:55:49 AM): Also, I think I found out why the primaries keep ending in deadlock.

craverguy (9:56:24 AM): They don't occur in any linear order. They just sort of happen all at once. So no candidates ever drop out, and no one ever gets a majority.

In my races, they have all dropped out. At convention time, they give their delagates to whomever they have the best relationship with.

(If we're talking about the same thing)

I have also not had a problem getting other candidates to drop out and endorse me when I became a clear winner. (Of course McCain was the last to concede, but that is par for the course...lol)

+Does anyone know how the 'offers' system works? The help file is pretty thin.

Yeah it's pretty confusing. How do you get another candidate to drop out? No matter what I offer and no matter how good relations I have, and no matter how bad the other guy is losing, the chance of them accepting my offer is always 0%!

Yeah it's pretty confusing. How do you get another candidate to drop out? No matter what I offer and no matter how good relations I have, and no matter how bad the other guy is losing, the chance of them accepting my offer is always 0%!

You have to use your influence points, and you pretty much have to have the nomination locked up before anyone will consider. (From my experience)

Austin,

How did you turn off the primaries phase of the game?

Keith

It's an option at the side of the main scenario screens.

I have a couple of odd things too. First, on start up I get a bunch of boxes that say "The Parameter is incorrect" with an OK button. I can start with no problem.

I noticed that in the General Election, I can produce FootSoldiers very quickly(in 1 turn) everywhere. It doesn't take the 5 days it should. Is this a feature?

On Election Night howver, the program just freezes. I have a few states with >1% projections and nothing else. Time freezes at few seconds after 4PM and the "Welcome to Election Night" scrolls VERY slowly

Also, it would be nice to have the "Run Ad in 'Fair' States" option like in the original

I notice that in some of the areas such as ad making there is a way to scroll through the parties, but not the candidates. I needed to hit clark with some ads early on but was dissapointed to find out that there is no way to choose him.

So far, I haven't gotten to the GE anyways, so I can't report on that. I ran as Edwards and was trounced by HRC, and then in the 2004 I went into the convention as Kucinich with 950+ delegates but Dean must have worked the convention better because everyone but Sharpton threw him their delegates.

Fundraisers are described as having no chance of news but are still reported in the news occasionally.

And it says the Republican Iowa Primaries will occur in 5 days on the recap screen just after the results of them have been displayed. Also, as it is displayed on the map when you click on the state, Iowa has caucuses not a primary.

And it says the Republican Iowa Primaries will occur in 5 days on the recap screen just after the results of them have been displayed. Also, as it is displayed on the map when you click on the state, Iowa has caucuses not a primary.

In the recap screen, it gives a recap for every day that passed in the weekly turn. So it first says five days, but as you scroll down, it says four, then three, and so on until someone wins. It also gives warning for upcoming one for two week in advance, I think.

As in Election Night, If you have more than 4 candidates you can only see the top four, not the rest! It angers me!

What is the diffrence between Primaries and Caucuses?

EDIT: Another bug: When you get a candidate winning lots of states in the primary (like Peroutka) the text is small, but it stays that size, even if you get BUSH SCANDAL!!!

What is the diffrence between Primaries and Caucuses?

EDIT: Another bug: When you get a candidate winning lots of states in the primary (like Peroutka) the text is small, but it stays that size, even if you get BUSH SCANDAL!!!

Primaries are based on casting a secret ballot - caucuses are attending a meeting and voicing your preference, in essense electing delegates to the county, then district, then state conventions in person. Each time you're electing delegates to the next level, and the precinct caucus is the most basic level.

Let me use my 2004 Iowa experience as an example. I went to my caucus site hoping to caucus for Kucinich. He didn't have 15% of the people there (a total of about 150 people) so we were forced to re-align with a "viable" candidate. At that point, at my site, the viable alternatives were Kerry, Edwards, and Dean. I went with Edwards. We then did more important stuff, like elected people to county central committee and voted on platform nominations to be considered at other levels.

I have a couple bugs to report.

First off, in my first game yesterday (using the 2004 scenario), I was unable to release a scandal on Clark... some error message popped up. I'll see if it's reproducible.

In the game I'm playing right now (again using the 2004 scenario), when I save, I get this error message:

President Forever + Primaries - Version 1.0.00.0

Access violation at address 0051B580 in module 'p4e.exe'. Read of address 00000037.

After pressing OK, the game doesn't crash or anything... I haven't tested the saves or anything, though.

Oh well, it's PF+F, can't complain too much :D

Oops, thought of a third thing... events for Tuesday don't seem to work.

Typo on far-right stances on affirmative action in 2004: "Affirmative action in a reverse form of discrimination that judges people by their race. Abolish Affirmative Action programs."

Shouldn't it be "is"? Plus, it's the same position as the "right" stance.

I've tried running through this several times (including on the updated version), but I have not been able to play all the way through the game even one time. As soon as I win the primaries and try to barnstorm, I get the "List index out of bounds (8)" and at that point I cannot do anything.

I also get "Access violation at address 004C19E2 in module p4e.exe. Read of address 00000080."

This sucks, because the parts of the game that I CAN play are very cool, but every time I hit the "Done Turn" button I fear another game crash.