270soft Forum

What other 80soft games would you like to see

extreme_right

Just out of interest.

Here's mine-

Expanded UK Prime Minister Forever with more scenarios and new features.

Govenor Forever - with key US Gubernationals such as Bush 92 and Perry 06.

Presidente Forever - French Elections

Devolution Forever - The devolved assemblies (Scotland (which I admittedly failed miserably one), Wales, NI - the various elections and maybe the reforendums).

Mayor Forever (US or UK or both maybe)

Council Forever - either by council or maybe managing the national campaign (UK)

World Forever - Fictional race for control of the globe (I know its been done, but a proper 80soft one with new features and a really good map).

I think they should do a straight Proportional Representation simulator so you can basically play any number of countries, from Holland to Israel from Taiwan to Thailand. I think that would be a really neat addition to the whole PM/P4E line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about adding the ability to print in one shot, all of the winners?

Say you click print, and then the 308 names of the winners would be listed like:

Ottawa South John Manley Liberal

etc.

This way, if I want to create a follow up election, I can take the list and write the little "x" after their names that says incumbent and then change their power from two to three and reduce their opponent from three to two and know where to play to simulate the new campaign four years down the road.

x

x

x

As far as the original question of this thread:

How about expanding on PM4E? Once the results are in, the game is over. Instead, have a running the political stuff of the government.

Forget the "running the policy" part of government. I mean the politics part in-between elections. The random stuff that can happen.

Say, you formed a majority government, you now have to create a cabinet. But within your party, one person who wasn't selected for cabinet is unhappy. You either re-shuffle the cabinet (look stupid - and reflected in the polls) or live with the unhappy fellow. He might switch party, he might leak a scandal on you. If he is a four or five star candidate, he might have a few other powerful members. They could work to push you to retire before your next campaign, sabotage your next campaign - making it much more difficult, like harder to get footsoldiers. You could have four or five MPs leave the party to create a new party (or take over an existing but small party that has similar policy positions but by doing so raising the party level from a 1 to a 3). This new party would obviously compete with you for voters.

Also you could create laws... not the actual detail of the laws... just like "Create law on issue number 6; center- right"... if it doesn't fit your campaign promise, if it doesn't fit the majority of the population, this could result in some bad stuff. If the majority support it and you promised it in your policy orientation, then an increase in support would follow.... or if you promise it but create no laws on an issue since most people don't support it, that could have negative effect on your own supporters.

Then at the end of this "government", you call and election and a money number is assigned based on current popularity of each party, of each party leader, of the party size (1 to 5), etc. and then you can run a second election.

Also you would be able to manage the ridings from within the game. This way you could assign resources to a particular riding during "government" kinda like targeting it.

Also select candidate for empty ridings. A random name generator would give a list of interested candidates that have been recruited.. kinda like this:

John Smith **

Brad Alfred *

Julie MacDonald *

(Hoping to recruit a few three or four star - but rare)

And BOOM, surprise random event, the opposition party has just recruited a well known and likable candidate who used to be premier, president of a big corporation, president of tennis canada, labour leader, or whatever to run against one of your incumbent back benchers, and that guy is a three star or maybe even four star... now should you keep targeting? or should you start targeting if you haven't started yet? Or give up on the riding?

Also BOOM, one of your cabinet minister announces that he will leave politics, a big name candidate (four star) has just disappeared before the next election, leaving the riding to look weak and tempting for the opposition parties to put one of their three star recruit candidate there. That safe riding might not be a safe one anymore. Like when Liberal Herb Gray retired after over 30 years and the NDP candidate won the riding the following election.

Your leader is very unpopular? You loses the following campaign? You are now the opposition? Well, from within the game, you could create your new candidate - either a current MP or if a new one, he would automatically be added to your list of recruit with a ****, and up to you to assign him to an empty riding. If not a current MP, the ones that are four stars and MPs might not be happy and decide to leave. Maybe none will leave and you will gain a 4* candidate, maybe one or two will leave and so you would gain one and lose two... that happens in real life!

Has opposition, you would either vote for or against a certain issue laws. If your position is center-left, and the bill is center-right, yet the large majority of the population support it, do you vote for? Gaining popularity or keeping steady, yet weaken or angry your own supporters?

In short, add infinite campaigns instead of game over after the campaign results are announced, add in-between campaigns campaigning - or government periods.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally would like to see a a good government simulator. I see a game where you get elected like in President forever, then have four years to run a country (kind of like Shadow President) and then would have to run again. You could even incorporate COngress forever in there for the midterm elections.

• 2 weeks later...
I personally would like to see a a good government simulator. I see a game where you get elected like in President forever, then have four years to run a country (kind of like Shadow President) and then would have to run again. You could even incorporate COngress forever in there for the midterm elections.

That'd be a cool game, but it'd be a massive undertaking to make it realistic. I don't think 80soft has the resources to pull something like that off on a decent timetable without harming their bread and butter of election games.

One huge problem you always see with those type of games is that they have to be done just right. Out of every game class, I think, political simulators (election ones aside) are the ones that get the most criticsm. You either get the hardcore realistic players like us who are very detailed oriented, or you get the majority of strategy gamers who would want to be able to nuke everything and everyone around them.

Those kind of players make up the huge majority of the gamers in that genre, unfortunatly.

I guess it's really a question of if Tony and 80soft want to persue a massive undertaking to appease a small portion of his potential customer base, or alienate said hardcore base by releasing a SuperPower2ish game.

But I'd love to see something like that, just don't think it'd be possible.

• 1 month later...
Unlikely idea, since there isn't a real primary system in canada it would be tough to make, though a leadership forever would be a great idea.

Well, when I say adapt, I do mean away from the primaries system and to a full delegate system with week-long or day-long turns. And then some sort of convention at the end where you can negotiate further with opponents for support.

• 2 weeks later...
How about expanding on PM4E? Once the results are in, the game is over. Instead, have a running the political stuff of the government.

I was thinking along very much the same lines. :D After all, the whole point of an election is for you to be given the chance to govern. So let's govern!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The next game should concentrate on another countries' politics yet to be given the spotlight and that should be one whose politics have a high profile in other countries when it comes to their elections. The one that comes to mind first is France. We get a good bit of news here in the UK when an election comes around.

I think a game for Israel would be great, especially for the 2006 elections, which had a primaries for left wing Labour, the new centrist Kadima party, and the right wing Likkud party. Since the country is small, it would be great if you could control multiple candidates on the party's candidate list (say the first 6 or 7) and campaign throughout the country with them. That would make forming the party list for the election a key thing to do early on, and would requiring juggling the candidates whose support could change the party's platform (since the higher up a candidate is, the more senior a cabinet position they'd be up for and their ideology affects the party's stances) and the candidates' different different stats and political loyalties.

Also, since the country uses proportional representation, there could be vote breakdowns and vote targetting by demographic. For example, the three Arab parties would be targetting the 20% of the population that is Arab in an attempt to win 24 out of 120 seats. That would mean fighting not only each other, but four strong Zionist parties (Meretz, Labour, Kadima, and Likkud) for the portion of the Arab vote that they tend to take (which happens to be a majority of the Arab vote). Different groups would naturally tend to respond better to different positions. With such a large number of parties and a very politically conscious population (Israel had its lowest voter turnout ever in 2006 of 65%), it could make such a game a real challenge.

The ability to cobble together coalitions after the elections would also add another potential twist to the games. It's always sad to have to end after election night, after all.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of a government simulation game; I'd say that you could actually start simple there as a mod for PM4E with the following:

-Random name generator for seat challengers

-A simple set of events in the interim that you have to deal with (say, one each quarter) that affect your popularity (or even the ability to "do" X) and then get the opportunity to drop the writ.

I already posted some suggestions, kind of similar to what Goldberg said. I don't see why they can't do it, they are a small company but they are professionals and you don't need that many people or that much money just to build the engine. There are no graphics to speak of, real-time physics or anything like that.

Look at what President Elect in the 80s managed... or Hidden Agenda, a game that was released as shareware by a university lecturer.

I have been playing political games for a while and it seems 80Soft has barely advanced on games like Power Politics or Doonesbury in the mid 90s. P4E + P was a step forward, as was the campaign editor (long overdue) but they should be a little more ambitious.

Election Day (election-day.info), was way more complex than anything 80Soft has offered, and was a college post-grad project, true it's very buggy, and the electoral trend type mechanics are off (almost as bad as early versions of Primaries) but it still shows. They did that with two people and without any money (I have bought every 80soft game + expansion except BC, guessing it's the same with most of you)

Also, the Democracy Game is way overhyped

Archived