270soft Forum
Flasuss

Map coordinates

I don't know if it will sound very dumb (and i don't mind really :P ), but how exactly we determine the coordinates of the states, districts, etc, on the map? Sure you can get the default in U.S. elections, but like i'm working on a foreign one (2006 Brazilian Presidential Elections), it's not the case. Any help would be appreciated. :)

When you're entering the coordinates for the districts, you just need to put, where its asked for a coordinate, one point's coordinates that is inside the black line that surrounds the district. That make any sense?

If you want that done for you I can do it. Just post the map on here, and I'll give you co-ordinates for each region.

When you're entering the coordinates for the districts, you just need to put, where its asked for a coordinate, one point's coordinates that is inside the black line that surrounds the district. That make any sense?

I'm sure it would make for someone smart, but for me, :huh:

Of course, i could just use the real life scenario, with no electoral college, and make it just one huge region (and perhaps i can do both), but i think that with the college is much more fun. One thing specially interesting in Brazil is that the minimum number of deputies or representatives by state (the country does not use the districtal system, even though i think it should) is 8 and the maximum is 70 (only one state reached that mark), so the small states have a completely disproportional power.

Anyway, the map would be this one:

75f11d49.jpg

How i would determine the coordinates of, let's say, the southernmost state (Rio Grande do Sul)? Or any, for that matter (it's not hard to see the states borders), although i don't want to waste anyone's time.

I'm not really in a hurry, since there's still plenty of stuff to do, and also there are many things in real life that are still to happen (defintion of running mates, some new issues may show up, and even a very unlikely, but not completely impossible, impeachment of the president), but i thank already for any help. ;)

Well, you're going to have to outline all the borders in solid back lines so that it doesn't 'leak'. The open it in Paint. Make sure the map is 381 x 501 pixels. Then go to the View menu and activate the status bar. When you run the cursor over the regions, a set of coordinates will appear at the bottom. Those are the coordinates you want for the region. Then open the regional_variables file and input the coordinates in the appropriate spot.

"solid back lines" It means black, right? Well, anyway i already have another,

Well, you're going to have to outline all the borders in solid back lines so that it doesn't 'leak'. The open it in Paint. Make sure the map is 381 x 501 pixels. Then go to the View menu and activate the status bar. When you run the cursor over the regions, a set of coordinates will appear at the bottom. Those are the coordinates you want for the region. Then open the regional_variables file and input the coordinates in the appropriate spot.

OK, thanks for the help. I will do that.

Are we limited to 5 sets of coordinates for a region? I'm trying to combine the Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut (Canada) into one region, but I want the territorial boundaries to show.

Oops. my bad. Just realized this was the President forever board, not the Prime Minister forever one. D'uh.

For some reason the status bar isn't giving me any co-ordinates :(