270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
admin_270

Constituency Editor - Beta

Anthony, you are one of the best software developers I have ever seen. Ethical, hard-working and receptive. I can't wait to try it ! :D

EDIT: Tried it. Very nice work, but one note is that I can't edit constituency names. Is that intentional? Otherwise, nice work!

Guest Christian

Just on a first look, this looks SUPERB.

Thanks very much anthony, this a fantastic tool and will save lots of time.

JJE, to edit constituency names, click on the constituency. Then click again on the constituency. It works the same way as in, say, My Computer. We'll add that to the ConstituencyEditor_ReadMe.txt file.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's appreciated.

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Woah, good work - and this is the Beta Version. I took a quick look and although it hasn't solved the problems relating to my scenario, I do think it's going to be very very useful in the future (and more enjoyable) for Scenario Making. The Ridings Aspect of the Game destroys the most and frustrates the most and thus this is very useful.

Hats off.

Oh, one more thing...

If it would be possible to integrate something like the "all at once" program, where you could just put in a percentage for the country/region and it would change all the ridings in said category accodringly...I forget the link to that program, however...hope you can understand what I'm talking about.

Can somebody explains to me in a simpler way what this means:

"To edit the ridings file for a scenario, you will need to have the new scenario's folder name in the Scenarios folder, and in that folder you will need a completed scenarios.p4e and regional_variables.p4e file. The Constituency Editor looks to scenarios.p4e for the parties list, and regional_variables.p4e for the regions list. You do not need a ridings/ridings_data.p4e file."

I honestly have no clue where I must copy those two files (scenario and reg_var) to and what folder I must create and where. I only get "default" with party "1" and "default candidate."

Please help.

Can somebody explains to me in a simpler way what this means:

"To edit the ridings file for a scenario, you will need to have the new scenario's folder name in the Scenarios folder, and in that folder you will need a completed scenarios.p4e and regional_variables.p4e file. The Constituency Editor looks to scenarios.p4e for the parties list, and regional_variables.p4e for the regions list. You do not need a ridings/ridings_data.p4e file."

I honestly have no clue where I must copy those two files (scenario and reg_var) to and what folder I must create and where. I only get "default" with party "1" and "default candidate."

Please help.

Both files are in the root folder of each scenario. Copy them from there, and change the appropiate sections (the party lists and the region names) to the right ones.

As a note, you may want to put in an electoral figures tool for this. Right now, you still need to go through them by hand in Notepad ;) . Otherwise, it's great.

That answer did not help at all. Now I'm wondering what is a section. Can somebody try to help?

Do I need to create a new folder, if so where? In the scenarios' folder or the folder of each scenario?

What is it supposed to be called? And then I copy the two files there and that's it - no need to change the name of those two files?

I tried so many things with so many scenarios, I'm sure its just a small thing I don't do.

That answer did not help at all. Now I'm wondering what is a section. Can somebody try to help?

Do I need to create a new folder, if so where? In the scenarios' folder or the folder of each scenario?

What is it supposed to be called? And then I copy the two files there and that's it - no need to change the name of those two files?

I tried so many things with so many scenarios, I'm sure its just a small thing I don't do.

It's the part of the file that says which bit is which. Look through it - it's marked with notes on it. You don't need to create a new folder for those parts, but you've got to have a scenario folder for it. Then you copy the files there and just adjust them.

It does not work for me. When I put it in the scenario folder I get

"Cannot Open file C:\Program Files\Prime Minister Forever - Canada 2006\scenarios\scenarios\scenarios.txt.

It allways adds an extra \scenarios, and t is not working

It does not work for me. When I put it in the scenario folder I get

"Cannot Open file C:\Program Files\Prime Minister Forever - Canada 2006\scenarios\scenarios\scenarios.txt.

It allways adds an extra \scenarios, and t is not working

You have to put it in the main folder with the .exe file and stuff, not in the scenario folder - just like the scenario checker.

If you're making a scenario with a new party, which files have to be altered before the editor will recognize them? I'm assuming scenario, electorate trends, and party relations -- anything else?

If you're making a scenario with a new party, which files have to be altered before the editor will recognize them? I'm assuming scenario, electorate trends, and party relations -- anything else?

Apparently, you only need to alter the scenario file, but it would be better to alter the electorate_trends, regions_candidates_running, and the actual party file all at the same time.

Guest Christian

Is there any way to enter the population in the riding, or have I missed something?

Hi Christian,

Constituency populations have to be entered manually at this point, but that feature is on the to-do list.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Hi Christian,

Constituency populations have to be entered manually at this point, but that feature is on the to-do list.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Another question, if a party has no candidates in a particular constituency, do you have to manually insert "Not Running"? Because that will be an irritant if so. The default it has now is "Default_Party_Candidate" or something.

Another question, if a party has no candidates in a particular constituency, do you have to manually insert "Not Running"? Because that will be an irritant if so. The default it has now is "Default_Party_Candidate" or something.

I doesn't matter what the candidates name is if the party isn't running. Just remove the party from that riding and that should be it.

Guest Christian

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but for each constituency it adds on a candidate not linked to any of the parties you have.

For example in my scotland scenario, I have had to add quite a few ridings, however they turn out like this for example:

Independent

DefaultScotlandIndependent_Candidate

Western Isles1_Candidate

@end riding

There should be no candidate after the independent.

Do you have another party that would go after Independents? Because I don't know many parties called '1'.

Guest Christian
Do you have another party that would go after Independents? Because I don't know many parties called '1'.

No there is no party after independent yet it has added this for every riding yet is doesn't show up in the editor, so I will have to go through the notepad document and remove them all. :angry:

Actually, you don't have to - just don't list it in any of the files that list party names. Idea - does you electorate trends have 1 too many parties (ex. it says you have 12 parties but you only have 11)?

Hello,

I am a complete novice when it comes to computer, and despertly want to change some candidates names in diffrent riddings - for instance in sarnia-lambton I want to change Pat Davidson, running for the Conservatives to a candidate I've created for the leadership. When running for national office its almost required that the candidate be running in a ridding. That you can create a national candidate and only have to select their home region and not their ridding really frustrates me, and cannot understand how a great game such as this which has addressed so many complicated issues I never would have expected a game to even touch on, yet not allow you to simply change individual ridding candidates. If someone could give very simple, step by step instructions on how to change ridding candidates from the point of unzipping the constituency editor to playing the game.

I did attempt to manuel go into the game files, with the help of a friend, spent a few hours tweaking the game to my satisfaction, then to my dismay not able to use them and have to revert to the original. After all that time, making each of my leadership candidates from every party, and getting completly pumpt the play the game, only to have it not worked turned me away from game for a few days.

I downloaded the constitency editor, and some how managed to get it unzipped - a feat unpresidented for me - to the correct folder, but when I went to use it, I clicked on Canada 2006, then Ontario, expecting to have every ridding available, but that was it! Southern Ontario, and to the right a box foreach party, and frankly the readme folder should be more detailed for people like my self, who grew up in the computer era but fell through the cracks and some how became computer-retarted.

This would make my week if I can finally make the edits that are so vital to the realism, and in tern the playability to me (I am a very anal-retentive person and need things perfict to acept the premise of a game).

Thank you very, very much, have a great day and a merry christmas,

RAWSON4PRESIDENT/PRIME MINISTER