270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kerry Edwards for President

First Riding Vote

Who do you support in this riding race for the PM Government?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you support in this riding race for the PM Government?

• Jean Seb (Conservative)
    • Simonvallee (NDP)

Well, at least it could be worse, I could BE Jean Seb

Believe it or not, Simon, I was a lefty with opinions quite close to yours 18 months ago. Perhaps you already noticed this, but I am moving more to the right as time pass by, altough I think I wont move much more to the right now. I believe too much in the equality of all Human Beings and in the importance of environement to move much more to the right.

Dukakis got owned big time by Reagan.. He got only 13 electoral votes- Minnesotta and Washington DC.

in the US, most probably you'd fit in the Libertarian party.

I have reservations concerning them because they want to privatise the police and the jail system. I dont go that far. I also dont want to legalise drugs.

At the same time, the strong religious element of the Republican party turn me off at times, since I am not a religious guy. If you noticed, I dont use religious arguments to justify my pro-life stance - just than I believe than the unborn chuild deserve the same rights than anyone else :) Unborn children are Human Beings too.

eliminating all regulations except minimum wage?!

I wouldnt eliminate EVERY regulations, just most of them.. this must be a wording mistake on my part.

I believe too much in the equality of all Human Beings and in the importance of environement to move much more to the right.

If you believe in the equality of human beings, how can you be to the right? Don't you understand that lacking the means of exercizing a right is the same as not having that right? That is why I say that there is no freedom without equality, everything else is just privilege.

I do believe than every Humans are equals, no matter their age , religion, skin colour, etc. We are all Humans, thats what matters. Im repeating that ad nauseam to who want to listen :lol:

To make it clearer tough - I believe in the equality of oppurtunity and an equality under the law, not an equality of outcome - the American Dream, in sort. If you work harder, its also your right to acheive a better status. Its not right than the succesful pay for the failure of those who didnt worked hard enough. For those who are genienly unable to help themselves, thats another story.

Also, from what Ive seen from governements in both Ottawa and Québec City in the past years, Ive lost faith in them to solve our problems. They impose the choice of some elite on the whole society and they waste the fruit of our labour, like with adscam , the gun registry, the Grand-Mère inn in Ottawa side.. the Gaspésia, the metro of Laval who cost 500 millions more than it should had now, Bécancour aluminium factory, the failed education reform, the crumbling healthcare system.. on Québec side and more.. thats depressing, all the money and thus all the hard work wasted by our governements incompetence.

Simply imagine what could have been done with all that money if it had been efficiently used.

A private corporation that would deal with money with such incompetence would quickly go bankrupt.. but the governement got an endless supply of money via all the taxes they impose on us. So it doesnt matter to them if they waste, they can always go take more cash from us.

If a private corporation is incompetent, you have a choice to go see elsewhere.. but with the governement, you cant. You are FORCED to pay your taxes even tough you dont agree with what they are wasted on. You are FORCED to pay for services you dont use, or services that are innifeciently made. Thats why I do not like governemental monopolies. They restrict our freedom to choose whats best for us.

Don't feel bad, I voted for Dukakis in my first election, so I am clearly not the norm.

Dukakis... Wasn't he the one who ran against Reagan and was honest saying that he would raise taxes because the deficits were unsustainable and even Reagan would be forced to? He lost big and then Reagan went and raised taxes because he had to, right?

So, no one voted FOR me but everyone voted based on the Lib vs con divide or against Jean Seb? :( Well, at least it could be worse, I could BE Jean Seb :D No offense meant.

Hey Simon! Have you not read my posts??? I endorsed you, voted for you, and encouraged others to do the same! I'm glad we have a true lefty in here that's not afraid to take a stand on the issues or back down!

As I said, Congrats Prime Minister Vallee!! B)

Oh yea, and that's Walter Mondale you're referring to, not Michael Dukakis. Mondale ran against Reagan in 84 and was landslided. Dukakis ran against Bush I in 1988 and also lost big-time.

Dukakis got owned big time by Reagan.. He got only 13 electoral votes- Minnesotta and Washington DC.

Once again, that's Mondale you guys are referring to.

Mondale's from Minnesota, Dukakis was Gov. of Massachusetts at the time. Kerry worked under him at one point.

If you believe in the equality of human beings, how can you be to the right? Don't you understand that lacking the means of exercizing a right is the same as not having that right? That is why I say that there is no freedom without equality, everything else is just privilege.

How arrogant of you, SimonVallee. Those of us on the right DO believe in equality. We also believe that there is no freedom without responsibility. Personal responsibility is something that those of you on the hard left seem to ignore - you don't expect people to be responsible for anything - you expect big brother government to take care of everything.

On the contrary, the left makes citizens more responsible by giving them some power not only on the political sphere, but on the economic sphere by favoring democratic economic models like unions, cooperatives and credit unions. The government is the greatest tool to allow ordinary citizen a chance to have an influence on their economy through elections and participation in the decision-making process. What we have presently is a new aristocracy where an elite few take decisions with little or no responsibility towards their fellow citizens and the rest of us have to live with it.

What we want is only the application of the democratic principle to the economy, rather than have to answer to a clique of people of converging interests and to an inhuman market, we want those in charge of the administration of our economy to have to answer to their workers, their customers and other people affected by their decisions so that all be empowered in our society.

If a private corporation is incompetent, you have a choice to go see elsewhere.. but with the governement, you cant.

With a government, you can do better, you can influence their decision. With corporations, they take the decisions and then you have to choose for the lesser evil. We think you should have better than choice, you should have power on it.

If you work harder, its also your right to acheive a better status.

That's not what capitalism does. You don't get rich by working hard, people who work truly hard are those who win 30 to 40 000 dollars per year. And what to do of the working poor who can't get out of poverty even if they got more than one job? You get rich by investing, with capital, the rich who truly deserve their status are rare and far between. The left also believe that inherently, humans deserve something, this is the basis of humanism.

I have already repeated time and time again this and I will repeat it again: there is a new cult that is replacing humanism today, the cult of the economy. Many only want the GNP to be higher, production to be higher and profits to be greater, but they forget that these accomplishments are worth nothing by themselves, what's important is to ameliorate people material comfort, for the "greatest good of everyone". That's the whole purpose of the economy, it's just a mean to an end yet so many people start taking it the wrong way around, considering the economy as an objective, and us humans as merely means develop it. Which is the origin of my signature. Listening to some, you'd think that if we managed to robotize our entire economy then people should be left to starve in the streets because they don't work anymore, therefore are not worth anything anymore. This is just madness, humans have an intrinsic value that cannot be denied and so everyone should have the minimum to live, but we should also recognize efforts of people who contribute to the betterment of others' lives.

You are FORCED to pay your taxes even tough you dont agree with what they are wasted on. You are FORCED to pay for services you dont use, or services that are innifeciently made.

You are not forced, you can change it, however not on a personal decision, this is a collective one. If some can't cope having to live in a democracy because of their egoism, too bad for them.

Dennis Kussinich[sic] 09 said:

go seb

OK, what the hell? You use the name of the candidate for the democratic leadership who was pretty much the most to the left of all of them, so left that Nader once said he wouldn't run if Kucinich was elected the presidential candidate. And you're endorsing a Conservative?

Don't feel bad, I voted for Dukakis in my first election, so I am clearly not the norm.

Dukakis... Wasn't he the one who ran against Reagan and was honest saying that he would raise taxes because the deficits were unsustainable and even Reagan would be forced to? He lost big and then Reagan went and raised taxes because he had to, right?

No, but I worked on his campain, I was to young to vote for Mondale, so I gave him my time. And yes he said what was true and what no one wanted to here at the time, that Reagan was driving the economy into truble with the unmanagable debts. That alone is proof that anyone who say Republicans are fiscly responsible is not telling the truth. But back to the original point, in 84 I lived in DC one of two places that went to Mondale, and I will never say that Reagan was a good president because he was not, at least for me. On top of that he was begining to go down hill metaly during his last term in office, many staffers have said so, and I think that by staying in office he put the nation at great risk. B)

Dennis Kussinich[sic] 09 said:
go seb

OK, what the hell? You use the name of the candidate for the democratic leadership who was pretty much the most to the left of all of them, so left that Nader once said he wouldn't run if Kucinich was elected the presidential candidate. And you're endorsing a Conservative?

LOL! :lol: Kucinich is such a LOSER much like Nader, no one will even defend their views!!!

GW Bush will be re elected! Kerry = Bon Appetite!

I will, but I'm not up to your standerds as I am not a WASP.

Thats a pretty uncalled for low-blow.

I will, but I'm not up to your standerds as I am not a WASP.

Thats a pretty uncalled for low-blow.

“Fidel Castro, Yasir Arafat, North Korea, Libya, China, Vietnam and the French all support John Kerry.

With friends like these....

If all these leaders endorse John Kerry, that tells you a lot about him.”

Low Blow

"That's a good thing though

Clinton was a sleazeball and pretended to be moderate

At least with Kerry your getting the real McCoy

You got it bub, Kerry = Commie”

Low Blow

I think you have too much time on your hands Simon.

Low Blow

“LOL!!!

How many posts did he make about supposed "cheating" and "voter fraud"???

How many elections did he create under a thread created by him???

And now he's trying to act like Mr. Cool, "I don't care about elections one bit!"

SS Veg- You better watch it! Otherwise you might end up as the Al Gore of this board!! ”

Low Blow

“Like it or not, Simon a la French IS a Canadian! ”

Low Blow

Oh well! Guess what Frenchy???

WE WON!!

People did vote for us and we won!!

We we! ”

Low Blow

“Blah. More lefty nonsense.”

Low Blow

“"Something Smelly Fishy"

LOL! Is that what you learned in school today???

Learn some basic grammer before making such accusations!”

Low Blow

“Amen to that!

Liberals critique and think about these things while Conservatives DO things! They act and make things happen! No matter what you can say about them, you KNOW where they stand on the war on terror.”

Low Blow

“Why does Swing Voter have such deep animosity towards the traditional values that are shared by the overwhelming majoritiy of the American people?”

Low Blow

“OK everyone!! Let's put our thinking caps on!

Now let's respond to my questions instead of baseless negative attacks

Kerry is a traitor for protesting the Vietnam War. Do you think he got all those medals?? NO! Of course not!

Why do you think the Vietnam Swift Boats for TRUTH are all OUTRAGED over this guy???

Think.

Why do you think most Vets are voting for bush???

THINK!

Why do you think Osama wants John Kerry to win??

THINK!!!!!”

Low Blow

“Simon Valle you are extreme left wing. No you are not the only one but i just thought id point that out that you are of the extreme left wing type and when you argue with someone like a SS Vegan who is also one of hte LOONY left it just tells you how fare you are!

I say have Canada join the greatest country on God's green Earth: the United States of America! Canada must drop all this liberal business, rebuild its once mighty army and join their conservative American brothers as we convert and transform the Middle East to democratic pro western governments and leaders. Terrorism is a problem that only the RIGHT have an answer for!

Vote America

Vote Bush

Bush Cheney 2004”

Low Blow

“I think so. But more importantly he also is a triator.

Vote America

Vote Bush

Bush Cheney04”

Low Blow

That Mantis is why I attack Roger, he only gets what he gives out!

yeah it's impossible to go lower than roger because he is as low as they come i mean we have all had our disagreement with hard right and still respect his views but roger is a pure jackass that has no value as a human being