270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark B

US Presidential Primary Resources

Anyone know of a website online with detailed information about US primary results going back maybe to the 50s or 60s (or later if that's all that's available)? I know there is a site with the basic results - ie. who won what state's primary - but I am looking for a site with detailed results, such as percentages for each candidate. I've tried searching on the web, but haven't come up with anything except sites dealing with a few individual states such as New Hampshire. If anyone knows of any such site, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Cheers.

http://www.ourcampaigns.com has all the information you're looking for (including #'s and %'s), you will need to search the site alittle to find the information but I know it's there. Also http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/8088/ElectPandC.html has maps that just show who won what state but you're not going to find any numbers.

http://www.ourcampaigns.com has all the information you're looking for (including #'s and %'s), you will need to search the site alittle to find the information but I know it's there. Also http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/8088/ElectPandC.html has maps that just show who won what state but you're not going to find any numbers.

Cheers, thanks very much.

It's worth noting that prior to 1972 primaries were not binding on the delegates. They could, and often did, vote for candidates other than those that won in their state. Nominations were won by politicking the state people who chose the delegates or wooing the delegates themselves at the convention.

Prior to 1952, nobody paid any attention to primaries at all. That year New Hampshire provided major upsets in both parties, Eisenhower trouncing Robert A Taft and Estes Kefauver topping president Truman. That established Ike as a viable candidate and led Truman to decline a second full term.

Yeah I'm not impressed with ourcampaigns.org does anyone know of a better resource (or a guide to the horrible navigation of that site)?

I've found that the only way to get around that site is by finding a candidate in the election you want. I'm working on '88, and so I found Dukakis and it shows all the primaries he participated in.

It's worth noting that prior to 1972 primaries were not binding on the delegates. They could, and often did, vote for candidates other than those that won in their state. Nominations were won by politicking the state people who chose the delegates or wooing the delegates themselves at the convention.

Prior to 1952, nobody paid any attention to primaries at all. That year New Hampshire provided major upsets in both parties, Eisenhower trouncing Robert A Taft and Estes Kefauver topping president Truman. That established Ike as a viable candidate and led Truman to decline a second full term.

Yes and no in both cases.

-Prior to '72, a few states did use the primaries to bind their delegates. Example: Wisconsin did this in at least 1960 and 1968; ditto with California in '68. I also know that Ohio did this in either '52 or '56, when there were plenty of shenanigans on the part of the party machine against Kefauver (and I think it was the Stevenson people, so that'd hint at '56). In some cases, the primary was simply a beauty contest; in some cases, it was straight delegate selection (New York used this in 2000, which gave McCain headaches); and in some cases it was binding.

-Al Smith ('28) and FDR ('32) both used the primaries in their runs, to show viability; FDR's win in Georgia in '32 was crucial to showing that he could gather votes in the South. In fact, Smith's failure to properly use the primaries in '24 helped lead to the Klanbake Convention that erupted that summer. The same was true of Stassen, who tried riding a wave of primaries to the convention in '48; his upset loss in Oregon blew that up in a hurry. Also, Wilkie dropped out after a thumping in Wisconsin in '44, while in 1940, FDR used a defeat of Garner in Texas to tie him up in knots. They served a different purpose (showing viability), but they still did play a significant role.

However, it's worth noting that misuse could do more harm than good; when Wood ran for the Republican nomination in '20, he used the primaries to rack up a ton of delegates (something like a third of the convention total). However, he also ticked off enough of the state leaders by challenging their favorite son slates that they shut him down on the floor and went with Harding.

Yes and no in both cases.

Well, yeah, I overstated things a little. Still, the nomination process back in the day was radically different from the one we have now. Dunno how you would simulate it without creating an entirely different game. I'm not even sure if P4E+P could give you something like McGovern did, losing primary after primary until the last handful then taking those to get enough momentum at the convention to take the nomination.