Duceppe - 58

Nunziata - 1

2000 - Chretien majority coalition

Chretien - 134

Clark - 24

McDonough - 17

Day - 69

Duceppe - 57

2007 - Governor-General picks Layton. Layton forms government with Green, Marjuana, and Liberal. Harper becomes official opposition

Martin - 45

Harper - 71

Layton - 138 :(

Duceppe - 52

Independent - 2

A truly awful result. America would likely invade if Layton became PM. :P Is there an actual 2007 scenario though or were you using 2004? I'm quite interested in playing the upcoming election.

A truly awful result. America would likely invade if Layton became PM.  :P  Is there an actual 2007 scenario though or were you using 2004? I'm quite interested in playing the upcoming election.

I agree. It was the 04 scenerio. Sry

It's the issues that kill them...same in real life. Whenever Broadbent would be ahead of the Grits and Tories, someone'd say something abuot the Party policy against NATO or some story about how so-and-so would leave Canada.

It's the issues that kill them...same in real life.  Whenever Broadbent would be ahead of the Grits and Tories, someone'd say something abuot the Party policy against NATO or some story about how so-and-so would leave Canada.

Broadbent was never ahead of the Grits or Tories.

Broadbent was never ahead of the Grits or Tories.

Under his leadership, the NDP reached its highest number of seats (43) in the 1988 federal election. Broadbent was also the only leader ever to take the NDP to first place in public opinion polling, although he was not successful in translating this into an election victory.

I'd love to see those polls.  I cannot recall the NDP ever being any higher than 3rd place in the polls.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-73-1580-10676...broadbent/clip8

The NDP were also ahead in 1990 at some points, due to their new female leader and the really disgusting Senate fights that made both traditional parties look dirty.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-73-1580-10676...broadbent/clip8

The NDP were also ahead in 1990 at some points, due to their new female leader and the really disgusting Senate fights that made both traditional parties look dirty.

If an election had been held in 1987 instead...my God. Prime Minister Broadbent.

I'd love to see those polls.  I cannot recall the NDP ever being any higher than 3rd place in the polls.

Go to CBC Archives about Broadbent... the news report is there.

Thanks HabsFan, didn't read far enough down :P

From the Vancouver Sun, July 16, 1987... and there are many many articles like this.

MONTREAL - The NDP is supported by 41 per cent of decided voters - the party's best result in a national survey and jump of six percentage points since June, a new Gallup poll suggests.

The poll, conducted July 8 to 11 and published today, indicates Liberal support slumped to 35 per cent from 39 in a Gallup survey five weeks earlier while the governing Tories slipped one percentage point to 23 per cent.

The survey of 1,021 eligible voters is considered accurate within four percentage points, 19 out of 20 times, so NDP support could be as high as 45 per cent or as low as 37.

Using the results to predict an election outcome would be further affected by a six-point rise to 31 per cent in the number of undecided voters.

The largest number of undecideds, 37 per cent, is in Quebec, where NDP support is at about the national average and tied with the Liberals at 40 per cent.

In Ontario, the poll suggests the NDP leads for the first time since March, 1986, with 44 per cent compared to 35 per cent for the Liberals and 20 per cent for Tories.

In the West, the breakdown is roughly 45 per cent NDP, 30 per cent Tory and 25 per cent Liberal.

The results reflect a trend noted by other pollsters: Angus Reid predicted two months ago the New Democrats were "on a roll."

Party popularity will be tested in a real poll Monday - federal byelections in St. John's East, Hamilton Mountain and Yukon.