270soft Forum

My newest scenario... suggestions welcome

I'm working on a highly sectional scenario that pits Presidents throughout history against each other. The parties are New England, South, West, and North (although the last one I might only make one or two candidates because there aren't many presidents from the North that aren't from New England.)

I've changed the population and electoral votes of all the states so that they are all the same (except the "capital" of the region.) The idea is that every candidate starts out with almost the same amount of electoral votes- from their home region. And they try to grab the disputed states.

The issues are the ones that last throughout history such as State's Rights and Black Rights. The candidates represent their time, for instance some might be in favor of slavery, others affirmative action. One could conceivably see Thomas Jefferson against Theodore Roosevelt against Nixon. (South, New England, West)

I'm almost done- I've made all the issues, changed all the state stats, and come up with some funny external events. All I have left is to make candidates. So... who would we like to see represent their region?

New England- both Roosevelts, Lincoln, and John Adams (or maybe Hamilton).

For the South- Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Woodrow Wilson, George Bush

West- Polk, Nixon.

North- ?

You can see why I need suggestions. I'm going to have plenty for NE and South but does anyone have some good west candidates? Or the North like around Minnisota? Or a candidate that just has to make an appearance in this cross time election? (maybe Patton? or someone like that) Now's your chance. But remember that I have to find out the details and make the candidate so the more info you give me, the more I'll be inclined to put in the candidate.

I would think Lincoln and any Illinois presidents could pass as "north," as opposed to "New England" -- instead of "Northeast" going all the way out past Pennsylvania, make it "New England" and include mainly the guys from Mass. & NY.. There's also inclusion of losing candidates, the which the Midwest has plenty of--Hubert H. Humphrey (from Minnesota,), McGovern from Dakota, "Clean Gene" McCarthy from the 1968 Democratic Primaries, even Bob Lafolette the old progressive from Wisconson. I'd love to run McGovern against Nixon again, but with Jefferson Davis and FDR in the race! Hope that helps a bit! (or just add some Canadian politicians!)

Here's an interesting person you could use: Mark Twain! Ha! I'd LOVE to hear his ignaugural! (From Missouri, went to Nevada then to Conneticut so take your pick) plus he was a Confederate Soldier for about 2-3 weeks and hightailed it outta MO after they burned down a barn! :) Mr. Twain is a good one!

Here's an interesting person you could use: Mark Twain! Ha! I'd LOVE to hear his ignaugural! (From Missouri, went to Nevada then to Conneticut so take your pick) plus he was a Confederate Soldier for about 2-3 weeks and hightailed it outta MO after they burned down a barn! :) Mr. Twain is a good one!

But he DID run for president, and his platform? " I'm in favor if everything anyone is in favor of." :lol: . And I AM serious.:D:lol:

K, if i were in your shoes, id line it up like this:

New England: Roosevelt, Roosevelt, J Adams, Hamilton (only the most brilliant american treassec.), Daniel Webster

North: Lincoln, William Jennings Bryant, McKinley, Taft, Truman

South: Wilson, Jefferson, John Calhoun, Davis, Clinton

West: Henry Clay, Andrew Jackson, Reagan, James Polk, Nixon

First, I believe you need to put in the triumverite (Calhoun, Webster, Clay) because they represent their regions interests the best. Hamilton would have made a brilliant president if burr hadnt done him in. (Stupid duel). Jackson is a no brainer, polk forced the slavery issue, Douglas, Lincoln, and Jefferson represent the civil war era perfectly. McKinnly and Bryant represent the gilded age, While T. Roosevelt, Wilson and Taft all represent the progressives with pride. Truman, FDR, Reagan and Nixon Bring the contest into the modern era, finishing with our last noncurrent president. Consider, and enjoy.

Another idea...why do it as a sectional game. What about a Former Presidents vs Former Politicians. Divide the Former Presidents into 2 categories - former Liberal, Former Conservatives and the same with former Politicians and there would be your 4 sections. Conservative and Liberal tends to be a more modern term...but you could divide them up pretty well still:

Ex. Conservatives: Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Andrew Jackson

Liberals: Woodrow Wilson, William Jennings Bryant, Abraham Lincoln

that's a good idea (to all but especially that last one) but I'm so far into it now that to organize based on views rather than geographic, well I might as well make it a new map. anyways I'm not sure when I'll have time to finish this but I'll try to do a candidate a day...

i say u put the greatest republican presidents vs the greatest democrat presidents with issues that have been around since the beginning of the nation and also throw in some 3rd party members like george wallace and teddy roosevelt or something like that

Wow this is shaping up to be fun. I just played the first week or so of an election as Calhoun (the coolest southern gent in US history in my opinion) against FDR, Nixon, and Lincoln. How crazy is that!? Anyways, I think it'll be fun but I can already foresee winning problems if you play with all four parties. I mean, you'd have to have a majority out of 4- pretty difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions of what steps- if any- should be taken to correct this. I was thinking perhaps making the states which don't belong to a "side" at the beginning (remember this is sectional so each candidate has their geographic stronghold) worth more. What do you think?

all right tom tell me what sections belong to each candidate and I'll give u a solution i know calhoun is with the south and Nixon has the west (even though he didn't win California) and I'm guessing Lincoln has the mid west and fdr has the north? i say u separate the states equally so all of the candidates are pretty much tied

well I'm finished... I tried to make it so you can win with at least 3 parties playing at once, but it's hard. I've played twice and I haven't been able to pull it off yet, although I came close both times. Perhaps you people can do better. In any case, it is fun running historical candidates against each other and the sectional thing makes for a cool looking map at the end. plus the way the population is distributed it is, the states in the middle of the US that have the most sway so that's a cool change from the norm. I hope you all enjoy this map- I think it'll be a fun change from the usual President Forever game and one which will present a good challenge for those of you who can win a normal game without breaking a sweat...

Now all we have to do is wait for the next scenario update...

full_18951_p232213.jpg

It's the battle of the liberals! FDR versus Wilson versus Truman (ok so it would be better if Truman were... Jefferson but it was fun as such) More importantly I've proven you can have a real battle between three candidates on equal footing and still win the election. The system works!

Hey Tom, you sent me the scenario and you wanted me to review it for you. Well I've played it a few times and I think it is a great scenario! It's very fun and I managed to win as FDR but by a very slim margin (I think just 5 electorals). I did find a few little glitches though...

You have Abe Lincoln listed at from Delaware.

Roosevelt as a NE, he's from North Dakota

and at about 1 1/2 weeks left there was a little glitch and the program would keep flashing a box that said error, and after clicking it off a few times it went away...

Aside from those little things I thought it was great! I can't wait to see your next one, you've got a great imagination!

Archived