270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trinhmaster

Debates should be....

worth a lot more. I mean the presidential debates in this election are probably the single most important events besides the conventions and yet they only have a power of 4. I think they should have a power of at least 8 and that you should be able to spin them differently. For example say candidate A wins a debate candidate B should be able to spin it to the point where it would be judged a draw. Or you should have to set aside a certain number of CP before the debate and the number you set aside affects how well your candidate is precieved.

yeah your right i mean look at this year before the debate bush was running away with it and now because of the debate kerry is ahead in the game debates are just an after thought

might depend on how much one candidate won the debate. (as in Kerry won big this year in the first one and made the difference. the other 2 debates were close and there was no real momentum change after them).

since this game judges the winner by pts, the momentum power score could be a multiplier of the difference (like 2x). win by 1, 2 pts, win by 2=4 pts, win by 3=6, etc. that way if a candidate wins by 3, they would get more than the 4 for the debate.

(would be nice if there were some more detail listed about the debate too. could be a tab that showed the issues debated and who did best. maybe a one-liner that sparks some media debate, or a gaffe or mis-statement that causes negative results. Dukasis response on the death penalty hurt him, Carter's nuclear proliferation talks with his daughter was spun against him.

I dont expect to see the whole debate, but just think it would be interesting to see a little more meat.)

Well, here's an idea:

Candidates can accept/decline/set terms for debating, and vary the number of debates (say, in the second or third week of the campaign). This way, a strong third-place campaign could be offered entry into the debates or blocked out as a term of the debates, and a campaign could do something in exchange (such as scheduling the debates at a bad time, or trimming a debate out/adding one in, ). Just one or two options for format (town hall, at podiums, at a table) would also dice things up nicely. And refusing to debate could cause a bad news story (X won't debate!) that helps your opponents.

My justification is based on several things: The lack of debates between 1960 and 1976, the fact that the League of Women Voters hosted the debates until 1976, the fact that Carter refused the first debate (which Anderson was in), the fact that Perot got into the '92 debates by Bush Sr.'s demand that he be let in, and the fact that Clinton cut the number of debates from 3 to 2, and put them opposite major sporting events to sit on the audience numbers.

How to do this? Pop-up window. You make conditions, the other side makes conditions, and you tinker with the disagreed points (#of debates, formats, timing, who gets in, and so on),

it would be interesting to be able to haggle over the terms of the debate (as long as it doesn't get as crazy as it did this year -- how many pages of rules did they have? lol)

Candidates can accept/decline/set terms for debating, and vary the number of debates (say, in the second or third week of the campaign). This way, a strong third-place campaign could be offered entry into the debates or blocked out as a term of the debates, and a campaign could do something in exchange (such as scheduling the debates at a bad time, or trimming a debate out/adding one in, ). Just one or two options for format (town hall, at podiums, at a table) would also dice things up nicely. And refusing to debate could cause a bad news story (X won't debate!) that helps your opponents.

Great idea! I hope it's included in the update.

But about what you said about BUSH demanding Perot be included in the debates??

That's very odd, Perot was undoubtedly taking lots of votes away from Bush. And Bush bombed in the debates with the whole looking at his watch business and besides, Clinton just naturally is a more "down to earth" communicator yet makes his case in an intelligent manner (i'm tempted to say Bush II with a brain but nahh) and I think he is more effective than Bush.

The only thing I can think of is that Bush's advisers felt that he had no chance of winning as is and thought that Perot could do some damage to Clinton, even if it wasn't likely, it was a chance they had to take.

This is the first time posting here but I like to read this board on occcasion. I actually think the debates are about right in terms of momentum. I played the 2004 scenario as Kerry-Edwards in a 2 way race (I can't Nader). I changed Kerry's debating skills from a 3 (the default value of the game) to a 4. Maybe I was lucky and just played a really well executed game but I totally cleaned Bush's clock :P . I won with 56% and 442 electoral votes. The real kick in the teeth happened when the Kerry-Edwards ticket beat Bush in Texas (It was a squeaker though). Two of the three debates I got a momentum boost of 5 and the last one which was kind of close I only a boost of 4 from.

The first debate about two weeks into the game is where it all started going wrong for Bush (even more so than in real life). I was lucky in that almost all my adds were highly effective.