270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Taft

Slow and Permenant Undecided Conversion

I've been playing PM Forever more lately(and deferring to having dynamism on), so therefore I forget whether this is programmed in, but I think something should be programmed in to have no more than X percentage of undecided voters change in a given week, but once they change, a certain number of them solidify (or a certain number of the decideds solidify).

In short, in the first week of a six-week campaign, there might be 10% undecided, and 25-30% in the soft column. In the second week, this would change to 7% undecided and 20-25% soft, then 5% and 15-20%, then 5% and 10-15%, and so on. Large implosions on one side or another might increase the level of undecideds and/or soft voters on that side, and a surge by a candidate might cause a decrease in the other's soft support, but barring major scandals, it would follow a fairly steady path (probably with a lot of the undecideds making up their mind, and a lot of the soft voters make-or-breaking, at the debates).

This seems like an almost must-do for the primaries, as there seem to be 6-8 months of campaigning included there, but I'm not sure if the mechanism exists in some form. It's just an idea. Thoughts?

Hi Taft,

Thanks for the suggestion. The game does use leaning/solidified numbers, it just doesn't show the distinction. Undecideds move to leaning, and then to solid. Solids move to leaning, and then to undecided. Thanks,

Tony

Thanks. I just wondered. Though it would explain why, sometimes, it takes a week or so for that opponent's numbers to collapse all the way...or for my own, for that matter...