270soft Forum

The worst Tory performance I've seen so far

K-uglen

Eg.  Canada's Progressive Conservative party in 1993.

Not as bad, but imagine poor Joy MacPhail as the lone Opposition member in the BC Legislature, after the 2001 results and when Jenny Kwan went on maternity leave.

:blink:

Although, from what I read, she held her own and then some. She'll be missed...

Not as bad, but imagine poor Joy MacPhail as the lone Opposition member in the BC Legislature, after the 2001 results and when Jenny Kwan went on maternity leave.

:blink:

Although, from what I read, she held her own and then some. She'll be missed...

I've dealt with her, and her office, before... and when I found out she was retiring I send a card and a gift. A class act....

I think it might act as a bit of an opportunity. You become the face of your party, the de facto leader, and you surely wouldn't do as bad next time, so your standing within the party shoots upward.

I think it might act as a bit of an opportunity. You become the face of your party, the de facto leader, and you surely wouldn't do as bad next time, so your standing within the party shoots upward.

True enough, but Joy did it for, I believe, eight months all on her own.

Imagine going to work five days a week for 32 weeks and standing alone in a place where there are 77 - that's 7 7 - people who boo and jeer you everytime you open your mouth and who, most of the time, pretend that you're not even there, so you have to scream at the top of your lungs just to be heard over the noise!

Most of the time, she'd go home at the end of the day with no voice and, usually, in tears. But she still showed up for work every day and did it all on her own until Jenny came back and, later on, a byelection brought in a third NDP MLA.

But...man...eight months all on her own in very hostile territory.

Joy MacPhail is, probably, the most dedicated politician in BC's history, and likely one of the top ones in Canadian history. I hope that someday she comes out of retirement and runs for federal politics. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if she became the Federal NDP leader. We need that sort of dedication in Canada.

One Green Seat? Where the hell was that?

Brighton Pavillion probably. It's not that unlikely. Last election they got 24% or something like that, in third place by just a couple of points. I think Labour got 35% so the gap isn't that huge. If not Brighton Pavillion it would be Oxford (I think East) where they have 10-15%.

Archived