270soft Forum
admin_270

Premier Forever - British Columbia Released

Hello,

Premier Forever - British Columbia has been released!

British Columbia heads to the polls on May 17th. Will Gordon Campbell become the first re-elected Premier since W.R. Bennett - or can Carole James and the NDP stop him? Will the Green party achieve Official Party status?

E-mails will be sent out shortly. To get slightly ahead of the game, you can go

here for owners of Prime Minister Forever - British Version

here for owners of Prime Minister Forever - Australia/Canada (who don't also own Prime Minister Forever - British)

or you can go here

If you have any comments or questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Woohoo, managed to win Tom Morino's seat as the DRBC! Not that I care much about the DRBC, I tend to play a couple "hands-off" games with a third party to see how it can end, I simply targeted Morino's seat with the 2 points I had, and barnstormed in that region 5 times, always targeting his seat while doing this, and not doing anything else to have the money to do 5 barnstorms. Oh, and I somehow won the debate.

BTW, if I remember correctly, 80soft is based in BC, right? I'm saying this because it's the first time I've seen regions being given so many radical positions (Vancouver Island-North Coast has 6 issue centers on the Left position and 1 on the Right), and the politicians all have bad charisma. I may not know much about BC politics, but I feel like the game has been made without the "calm disconnection" that allowed other scenarios to be so realistic. I may be wrong and BC politics may be that fucked up, but still I felt like I should speak up.

I didn't see anything new mechanics-wise, it even only has 4 of the many parties. I hate to say this, but in short you pay for a well-made scenario with a new name for the game and the graphics associated with that scenario.

I didn't see anything new mechanics-wise, it even only has 4 of the many parties. I hate to say this, but in short you pay for a well-made scenario with a new name for the game and the graphics associated with that scenario.

*shrug* I only payed $4

I'm saying this because it's the first time I've seen regions being given so many radical positions (Vancouver Island-North Coast has 6 issue centers on the Left position and 1 on the Right), and the politicians all have bad charisma.

None of our politicians that are campaigning are doing it on the basis of charisma. The province's past history of premiers (notably Glen Clark and Bill van der Zalm, both who screwed up spectacularily) were full of charismatic people - the province has been burned with these people recently. Thus, the current reflection of candidates is that they are trying to campaign on issues and not their charisma.

Vancouver Island and Vancouver-East are both considerably left-wing jurisdictions of British Columbia. A couple years ago, if you visited the Comox Valley, I remember seeing 20 people in a town of the population protesting the war in Iraq on the bridge that separates Courtneay and Comox. Also visit Tofino, or Campbell River (total union town), or south Victoria, or Nanaimo.... it's all fairly left-wing there. Either because of high union support (sawmill/forestry industry), high government support (Victoria), or environmentalism. The trick for the BC Liberals in that region is to split as much of the NDP vote with the Green as possible.

The Green party isn't nearly as popular in Vancouver-East so the BC Liberals pretty much will surrender their seats there.

A 2 in charisma means that the leaders are dull, like that boring math teacher everyone got, it seems. It almost means that if they want to win the election, they must try to limit the media coverage they have personally. You may have had very charismatic leaders in the past (it seems everyone has), but that's where you must disconnect yourself and look at the leaders with a clear eye.

Still, an unspoken rule that's been rarely broken by scenario creators is to make regional centers center-right, center or center-left and avoid the extremes as much as possible. This is quite shocking for me to see almost half the issue centers of a region being completely radical, one way or the other.

For example, in my Québec scenario, there is a left-wing region in Québec called the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, it's the kind of place where even when the center-left party loses by a 13-point margin, it wins that region with a more or less 6-point margin. Unions are very strong there and the place is very nationalist, I still didn't give them a Left position on any issue.

A 2 in charisma means that the leaders are dull, like that boring math teacher everyone got, it seems. It almost means that if they want to win the election, they must try to limit the media coverage they have personally. You may have had very charismatic leaders in the past (it seems everyone has), but that's where you must disconnect yourself and look at the leaders with a clear eye.

If that's what you define as a '2'... whats a '1' for charisma?

I mean to be frank, none of the BC leaders are that charismatic...

Gordon Campbell, Carole James and Adriane Carr are not charismatic leaders. Campbell would pass the "math teacher" test with flying colours. James and Carr would do so as well, as long as they're teaching something other than math.

British Columbia has the type of populace that voted out the ruling majority party 77 seats to 2. The left-right polarization is rather extreme in the regions.

Recall that the BC Liberals were mainly derived from the old Social Credit party, which is a centre-right amalgamation of people. They are not Liberal in the sense of Federal politics Liberal, although the BC Liberals have been moving in that direction somewhat since the scare polls one year ago which showed them below the NDP in public support. (Ipsos, May 4-10, 2004).

I'm sure in Quebec, our NDP would be considered "moderates".

If that's what you define as a '2'... whats a '1' for charisma?

The same thing, in worse. Not only are they dull and boring, but they tend to have speaking habits that make listening to them frankly annoying (obvious lisp, broking voice, etc...), even for their supporters. As to physical mannerism, annoying tics coupled with an arrogant attitude and bad manners. Hey, it's a scale from 1 to 5, you don't go lower than 1, so I guess it's good to exagerate a bit when defining what it means.

The left-right polarization is rather extreme in the regions.

I understand that, but even then I'm asking questions as to whether or not they are THAT polarized. Are there polls that show 70+% for right or left wing position that averages at more or less 50% province-wide? Even there, that'd mean that 30% would be other than the dominating position, which brings it into perspective.

British Columbia has the type of populace that voted out the ruling majority party 77 seats to 2.

Canada too, remember Kim Campbell's PC?

Still, an unspoken rule that's been rarely broken by scenario creators is to make regional centers center-right, center or center-left and avoid the extremes as much as possible. This is quite shocking for me to see almost half the issue centers of a region being completely radical, one way or the other.

For example, in my Québec scenario, there is a left-wing region in Québec called the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, it's the kind of place where even when the center-left party loses by a 13-point margin, it wins that region with a more or less 6-point margin. Unions are very strong there and the place is very nationalist, I still didn't give them a Left position on any issue.

Extremism isn't a bad thing when it's somewhat realistic, and given the polarised nature of B.C. politics (Ranges from more conservative than rural Alberta to more leftist than Windsor or Halifax or Plateau Mont-Royal (hehe...Maybe that's pushing it there)), some degree of it is to be expected.

My only problem is the lack of realism in giving the Fraser Valley a pro-marijuana issue centre...Were it not for the lack of Confederate flags, you'd mistake it for a lost fiefdom of Jesusland....The Peace River Valley is also nearly as regressive.

Campbell's PCs won more of the popular vote than NDP (:-() or than the Bloc Quebecois.

Campbell won more of the popular vote in 1993 than Layton won in 2004.

21% is far worse in a 3 party system than 16% is in a 5 party system.

BC politics are unlike those in any other province in Canada.

I got beat up once by a Liberal supporter for wearing a BCNDP button.

When you have a two-party system in a province that changes positions more than I change socks, it makes for a very weird system.

And, God bless her, Carole James isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Niether is Gordon Campbell, Adriane Carr nor Tom Morino. None of them deserve more than a 2 in charisma and a 3 in leadership.

BC Election 2005 is about issues, period.

And the province is very polarized. In Vancouver Eastside, you got topless girls walking the sidewalks and people selling crack on every street corner. Drive north and east by about two hours and you enter an area that is so conservative, it makes George Bush look like a hippy.

An election about issues, not people? Sounds pretty good to me. We need more boring politicians so people start voting according to what the issues are, not according to looks and charisma.

Gordon Campbell and the BC Liberals ruin BC. It might be the NDP or DRBC form the next Government. Remember this

gordon_campbell_arrested_dui.jpg

Gordon Campbell was booked for DUI. Gordon Campbell is more like a conservative. Frow out the BC Liberals and put in the BCNDP or DRBC. BC is not use to Garbage Government Thay deserved better. :)

Thank you, Michael.

I agree with you, except that the DRBC is a fringe party right now and has as much chance of winning government in BC as...well...as Belinda Stronach does of joining the NDP. :P

Thank you, Michael.

I agree with you, except that the DRBC is a fringe party right now and has as much chance of winning government in BC as...well...as Belinda Stronach does of joining the NDP.  :P

That is ture about the DRBC thay are a fringe party. All right then Frow out the BC Liberals and put in the BCNDP. Bring back Social Democracy for BC. BC deserved better. :)

For what it's worth, I just played my first game of Premier Forever. It runs just like PM4E-UK, and that's alright, I suppose. Be forewarned, as near as I can tell you're paying $4 or $8 for a custom scenario. Personally, I don't mind because 80soft is producing a very niche group of games that no one else is, so, in order to keep the games coming, I'm going to be supporting 80soft with the games they release.

By the way, I played as the BC Liberals. 56% landslide and 77-1-1 in terms of seats. :)

For what it's worth, I just played my first game of Premier Forever.  It runs just like PM4E-UK, and that's alright, I suppose.  Be forewarned, as near as I can tell you're paying $4 or $8 for a custom scenario.  Personally, I don't mind because 80soft is producing a very niche group of games that no one else is, so, in order to keep the games coming, I'm going to be supporting 80soft with the games they release.

By the way, I played as the BC Liberals.  56% landslide and 77-1-1 in terms of seats. :)

who else won seats :huh:

Nah, it was the Greens. Party leader won her seat. I don't remember the name of the NDP that won the seat, but I know it wasn't James.