270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hillary/Sharton '12

Coalitions

I think it would be really cool if at the end of a game you had no majority government you could have a brief period to propose coalitions with other parties. So like, if you used a lot of negative ads against that party, it wouldn't happen, but if the two parties were on okay terms it would. Or you could have some sort of system for concessions and demands and so forth. anyway, it would be really cool and would be a nice addition at the end of the game or as a concillation prize for good sportsmanship! :P

I agree that the coalitions feature needs some change. Maybe get some if/then statements envolved in it. Example:

If Liberals not majority and Liberals + Bloc is majority then Bloc + Liberals form a coalition. Not saying that's realistic, but just an example.

It already exists doesn't it? I've formed Coalitions. You can modify what determines the alliances with the Party_relations and Preference_weightings files. Your actions in the game can have an effect. Just play around with them.

I agree that the coalitions feature needs some change. Maybe get some if/then statements envolved in it.  Example:

If Liberals not majority and Liberals + Bloc is majority then Bloc + Liberals form a coalition.  Not saying that's realistic, but just an example.

But, mathmatically, that wouldn't be necessary, and literally, it would be absolutly impossible. The Bloc Quebecois and Liberals hate each other just as much, if not moreso then the Conservatives hate the Liberals, so they would never form even a formal coalition.

At the moment you can set coalitions and the relationships between each party, but it should be able to change in the game, and new coalitions form.

But, mathmatically, that wouldn't be necessary, and literally, it would be absolutly impossible.  The Bloc Quebecois and Liberals hate each other just as much, if not moreso then the Conservatives hate the Liberals, so they would never form even a formal coalition.

That's why I said it wouldn't happen in real life, just making an example.

I like the idea of "offer coalition" being there if the parliament hangs. I could see the Liberals making a coalition if, at some point, the Tories or Labour failed to get a majority on their own but the Libs would put them over the top.

This could also work in P4E where you have no-one with a majority in the Electoral College or Congress, you have to negotiate with other parties for their votes.

I suggested a slightly more complex mechanism for stuff like this for the primaries that I suspect could easily be stalling P4E...if you put six candidates against eachother with enough money, sooner or later, two/three frontrunners will go into a convention. It's somewhere on the board...

I think it would be really cool if at the end of a game you had no majority government you could have a brief period to propose coalitions with other parties. So like, if you used a lot of negative ads against that party, it wouldn't happen, but if the two parties were on okay terms it would. Or you could have some sort of system for concessions and demands and so forth. anyway, it would be really cool and would be a nice addition at the end of the game or as a concillation prize for good sportsmanship!  :P

:D that would helt me. In my first game (I was Liberal Democrats) I ALMOST won my first election but it was a hung parlemant by 1 SEAT. The Queen picked the CONSERVITIVES even though they 3rd <_<:angry:

:D that would helt me.  In my first game (I was Liberal Democrats) I ALMOST won my first election but it was a hung parlemant by 1 SEAT.  The Queen picked the CONSERVITIVES even though they 3rd <_<  :angry:

that is unrealistic

I actually know a constitutional lawyer in britain who threw a fit when I so much as suggested that the queen could appoint somoene into government with less seats.

NO SHE COULDENT!?! JUST BECAUSE IT HAPPENS IN CANADA DOES NOT MEAN IT HAPPENS IN BRITAIN!?!?! SUCH A THING WOULD CAUSE A CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS?!?!?!?!
lol, you dont have a constitution
YES WE DO, TRADITION, AND THAT'S WHY YOU CANT DO THAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hi there,

I think this might be because the Conservatives are in an official Coalition in the game with the UUP. If you combine the seats, it's possible that they might not have been behind.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Hi there,

I think this might be because the Conservatives are in an official Coalition in the game with the UUP. If you combine the seats, it's possible that they might not have been behind.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Even Adding them together they were still second :angry: .

A suggestion to make the game more intresting can't there be Pre Poll alliances (group of party fighting Together) made between like minded party's atleast at regional levels. And only the Party or Alliance which wins more than 51% of total MP's should be declared winner.

And in case of no Party or Pre Poll Alliances gets 51% of total MP's, then a Post Poll Alliance option should be initiated, allowing back door bargaining with special financial assiantance to the other Party's Constituencies or/and Ministerial berth incentives, depnding on the Number of MP's support required to win the Election and the different aspects of the Party ideology for eg: Parties with a common ideology, goal,enemy etc are more like to get into a Pre or Pot Poll Alliances than others. This would be very similar to the Indian political system. May be you can make Prime Minister Forever - Indian Version.

The monarchy is a wonderful institution which saves us from electing f***wit presidents like clinton. can anyone imagine a president blair (cherie that is.) She also saves the government a fortune in rent.

A suggestion to make the game more intresting can't there be Pre Poll alliances (group of party fighting Together) made between like minded party's atleast at regional levels. And only the Party or Alliance which wins more than 51% of total MP's should be declared winner.

And in case of no Party or Pre Poll Alliances gets 51% of total MP's, then a Post Poll Alliance option should be initiated, allowing back door bargaining with special financial assiantance to the other Party's Constituencies or/and Ministerial berth incentives, depnding on the Number of MP's support required to win the Election and the different aspects of the Party ideology for eg: Parties with a common ideology, goal,enemy etc are more like to get into a Pre or Pot Poll Alliances than others.  This would be very similar to the Indian political system. May be you can make Prime Minister Forever - Indian Version.

Interesting idea Indians. I don't know how much work it would be for 80soft to do that but I'd like that kind of option.