270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dr abc

80Soft Request

Not sure which Forum this should be in.

I've been trying to make a scenario for PM4E and it's impossible. The main difficulty is the ridings.p4e which is huge and which you have to go through entry by entry, riding by riding to change the values. I see no simple way to increase the number of parties while keeping my sanity and not making any mistakes.

Could you create a template file which would have 16 parties in the maximum number of regions with each candidate, party, region, riding with a generic name? Eg. "Region-1", "Region-2"... "Region-70"; "Party-1", "Party-2" ... "Party-16"; "Region-1: Riding-1"... "Region-70: Riding-110"; "Party-1: Region-1: Riding-1 Candidate" etc

That way you could just paste the info into Excel and use a text replacer to find a seat, rename it, the candidates running etc easily and quickly. And delete all the excess candidates, ridings.

Some templates for the other basic scenario files would be nice too.

Maybe you could design a simple .exe program that lets you fill in the most basic data and let the computer do the work. IMO user submitted scenarios are the most fun part of P4E/PM4E and the increasing complexity of the scenario system is putting a lot of people off editing.

Not sure which Forum this should be in.

I've been trying to make a scenario for PM4E and it's impossible. The main difficulty is the ridings.p4e which is huge and which you have to go through entry by entry, riding by riding to change the values. I see no simple way to increase the number of parties while keeping my sanity and not making any mistakes.

Could you create a template file which would have 16 parties in the maximum number of regions with each candidate, party, region, riding with a generic name? Eg. "Region-1", "Region-2"... "Region-70"; "Party-1", "Party-2" ... "Party-16"; "Region-1: Riding-1"... "Region-70: Riding-110"; "Party-1: Region-1: Riding-1 Candidate" etc

That way you could just paste the info into Excel and use a text replacer to find a seat, rename it, the candidates running etc easily and quickly. And delete all the excess candidates, ridings.

Some templates for the other basic scenario files would be nice too.

Maybe you could design a simple .exe program that lets you fill in the most basic data and let the computer do the work. IMO user submitted scenarios are the most fun part of P4E/PM4E and the increasing complexity of the scenario system is putting a lot of people off editing.

Making scenarios are time consuming and alot of work. I enter in all the candidates in every rifding manually and am very careful to avoid mistakes. Scenarios are difficult to make.

• Upvote 1

Making scenarios are time consuming and alot of work.  I enter in all the candidates in every rifding manually and am very careful to avoid mistakes.  Scenarios are difficult to make.

Could be made a lot easier though. That's what I'm saying.

If you open up the ridings file in Notepad you can do some of the stuff you mentioned there. For example, if changing party names just go on to 'Replace...' in Edit and the computer will swap for example "Conservative" to "Liberal". You can use the search open under 'Find' to look for a certain name without having to trawl through 646 constituencies.

In my opinion, while a ridings editor would handy for maybe adjusting the number of parties, that's about all it could really do. The candidate names, percentages, riding names, populations etc... all that would still have to be done manually.

It's been my experience that's it best and easiet, when doing a ridings file, just to start from scratch. That way, you can copy and past your preformatted riding entry as many times necessary per region, and then just change the manual bits one by one. Time consuming sure, but if you want to able to use the new features, the new party options etc... then that's what you got to do. Remember, you don't have to have 16 parties, and you don't have to have party goals, events, endorsers etc.... the vast bulk of the new options are optional!

If you open up the ridings file in Notepad you can do some of the stuff you mentioned there. For example, if changing party names just go on to 'Replace...' in Edit and the computer will swap for example "Conservative" to "Liberal". You can use the search open under 'Find' to look for a certain name without having to trawl through 646 constituencies.

In my opinion, while a ridings editor would handy for maybe adjusting the number of parties, that's about all it could really do. The candidate names, percentages, riding names, populations etc... all that would still have to be done manually.

It's been my experience that's it best and easiet, when doing a ridings file, just to start from scratch. That way, you can copy and past your preformatted riding entry as many times necessary per region, and then just change the manual bits one by one. Time consuming sure, but if you want to able to use the new features, the new party options etc... then that's what you got to do. Remember, you don't have to have 16 parties, and you don't have to have party goals, events, endorsers etc.... the vast bulk of the new options are optional!

Sure. The problem is adding a sixteenth party. That's what I wanted to do for the existing UK scenario. Problem is there is no sixteenth so I have to go and add it in for each constituency in the UK... 646. There is no simple way to do it.

Yes there is. Just open it in a text editor with a multiple line search-replace function, and have find and replace every time it says "@end_riding" with

Party Name	
Candidate Name

@end_riding

Then edit the ridings you run in as required.

Yes there is. Just open it in a text editor with a multiple line search-replace function, and have find and replace every time it says "@end_riding" with
Party Name	
Candidate Name

@end_riding

Then edit the ridings you run in as required.

Good point. Didn't think of it.