270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tyking

This game is so random...

Playing the Canadian scenario has showed me just how random this game is.

I played the whole scenario rather well until a week before the election. Prior to that, I had been having great fun - Quebec was actually a pretty stagnant situation, which was nice because I put a lot of effort into it and we were looking at a pretty realistic 50 BQ 25 Liberal ish scenario. I was quite glad because it was the first time it didn't look like the typical 68 BQ election.

Then on one poll, I went down seventeen points. SEVENTEEN POINTS.

No scandal, no gaffes, no big events by other parties - in fact I was leading in momentum.

So instead we end with one of those bloody stupid election results where no party breaks 30%, the tories magically win the atlantic, and the NDP wins 58 seats.

This game just isn't fun anymore when the way you play has no impact on how well you do.

Hi Tyking,

I know one possibility that might have caused this. Do you know what the regional momentum was like in the regions where there was a large percentage difference?

The game currently displays national momentum as a sum of the regional momentum scores, divided by the number of regions. If all regions have approximately the same population (as is the case in the United Kingdom scenario) this is fine, but in Canada there are regions like Nunavut with 1 seat, and then there is Ontario with over 100 seats. As the program is, momentum in small regions like Nunavut, N.W.T., and so on, could create a misleading average national momentum number being displayed. (The effects from momentum, except for Big Mo' and Morale, are based on the regional scores, and so aren't affected by this displayed number.)

A new version should be released today with national momentum displayed being weighted for population, and similarly for Big Mo' and Morale effects.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

I'm not sure about the other regions, but I know for sure that I was leading in momentum in Quebec, and had been for the entire game (Duceppe had been gaffeing left and right). Then suddenly there was a 13 point swing from Liberal to BQ. It's really, really strange - even if the BQ had been leading in momentum, which they weren't, such a swing is extremely unrealistic.

Maybe some sort of limit can be put on the amount that support can swing in a week? I think my biggest qualm is that no matter how much I'm leading, I know I could go down 20 points at any time for no real reason.

key question here might be Did you have the Dynamism option on or off? (i don't remember if Canada PM4E even came w/ that option, but) If you did, such swings happen

It might have to do with the turnout calculation... But you said poll, not vote, so that can't be it.

I've had similar problems in the Australia scenario...can't keep positive momentum no matter who I play unless I burn out on ads early...and even then, I still fall in the polls. Any ideas, Tony?

Hi Taft,

We have identified a bug which allows computer players to run ads for the entire game at no cost. This can cause very high momentum levels (or low momentum levels for their opponents if it is an attack ad). We will be releasing a patch which fixes this shortly. This might account for what you are describing.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Sounds like we have a winner, Tony. It'd explain the fit I had in Australia (and in Canada and Britain) with momentum...and it would explain the poll surges even more. Good catch, and thanks for fixing it.

Aha! That explains everything! I was wondering why I'd magically have a -88 or whatever on one of the character issues, and it must've been because of that!

Woo-hoo!