270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
silenus

PM Forever UK: End Game

Hi All,

Just been playing the new PM Forever UK edition and its pretty good.

I was just thinking though that the calling of the elections at the end of the game is a bit of a let-down. I think one of the most fun parts of the US version is the realism of a state being called for one or other party. In the UK, each of the individual constituencies are called individually and all over the country depending on how keen the local authorities.

Is there any way of enhancing the end-game to make it more like watching the election coverage on BBC or something?

Cheers, nathan

Hi All,

Just been playing the new PM Forever UK edition and its pretty good.

I was just thinking though that the calling of the elections at the end of the game is a bit of a let-down.  I think one of the most fun parts of the US version is the realism of a state being called for one or other party.  In the UK, each of the individual constituencies are called individually and all over the country depending on how keen the local authorities.

Is there any way of enhancing the end-game to make it more like watching the election coverage on BBC or something?

Cheers, nathan

That's a great idea in theory, but in practice would be horrible. I don't think anyone wants to click the "view the next constituency" buttom 636 times.

I agree that clicking the button so many times would be annoying. But why couldn't the consituencies be announced in compressed realtime, requiring no user input other than perhaps to check on some statistics interactively. With the tally of seats for all parties being updated automatically.

What do you think?

What would be fun is constantly updating results, as the votes are counted. They'd indicate how many ridings each party was ahead in, and the popular would get in a bit a time. With a randomized function, a riding could be seen to indicate a party victory but be taken by another party entirely when the last votes are counted. The only problem would be that it could slow the game down at the end.

Yeah it could be done quite simply. Just return the results at say 30% votes counted (30% of actual support plus or minus a random factor), then at 60% (same thing again and added), 90% and the 100%. So the chances of an incorrect result are bigger at the beginning and get smaller. Maybe you could modify the game so that close races are shown at more of the individual stages and safe wons just at say 60% and 100%.

A step towards greater user customisation was made with the difficulty setting for the new PMF.

Yeah, I think the best thing would be to not have seats actually called, but have the votes gradually increase as the night goes on, with seats being called depending on how certain the results are. So if a party is polling very highly it could be called at 6:30, but if it's close it might take until 3am or 4am.

And instead of having it so you click to go to the next region, you should click to go to the next half-hour interval, with the results being updated every half hour.

Yeah, I think the best thing would be to not have seats actually called, but have the votes gradually increase as the night goes on, with seats being called depending on how certain the results are. So if a party is polling very highly it could be called at 6:30, but if it's close it might take until 3am or 4am.

And instead of having it so you click to go to the next region, you should click to go to the next half-hour interval, with the results being updated every half hour.

I would also like to see something similar in an upgrade.

Yeah...it'd be easy in President Forever...a game did it back in the 80s like that (President Elect), so I don't see why that couldn't be done with PM Forever...you might just get a running seat tally until the end (that slowly rises/falls as seats get called and/or recalled), but it -would- be cool.

Well...

Why not just have a scrolling list of constituency results?

Have the popular vote and national seats elected/winning in updated and a side bar with each constituency in alphabetical order by region that is updated all of the time....

I think that would be the best option for everyone.

Again, it's not so much that it CAN'T be done; quite obviously, it can. However, what I'm saying is that being forced to view 646 races (which you had to do in President Elect, unless you wanted to go straight to the end results) would be tedious. It works for 50 states, it wouldn't work for 646 constituencies.

I don't no how many of you live in the Uk or have seen Uk election coverage but constituencies are not declared until ALL the votes have been counted. It is not like the USA where states will declare when they feel pretty sure they know what's going to happen after counting 70% of the votes. So the idea of results being constantly updated would not only be slow but hopelessly devoid of reality.

In practice only some of the returning officers are seen on tv declaring results (usually for marginal seats and those where important MPs are standing). For the most part, red, blue and yellow bars appear at the bottom of the screen giving each result E.g:

LAB hold Birmingham Edgbaston

CON gain Finchley

Onlyabout 50 are seen in full.

This would be very easy to do. You would not have to click after each result but could have the option of viewing individual seats after all the results are in. having the bars popping up at the bottom of the screen would make it feel more like real election coverage.

A nice touch would be to have Sunderland South declaring first as this seat nearly always does,and is considered to be a barometer of the electorate and therefore an indication of how the election is going to go. This might seem bizarre to any one outside the uk but it would make things feel like a Uk election rather than a tacky imitation of previous games in the series.

So seats being called and the n recalled MUST NOT HAPPEN BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAPPEN IN THE UK (except in extreme cases but its not worth putting it in the game)

Thank you, LiberalUK and apologies to everyone else for me not making my idea as clear it could have been.

I think I was under the assumption that many of the people playing this game would be from the UK and therefore familiar with the UK election coverage and the excitement of the results being called. Particularly those marginal seats where leading politicians are occasionally unseated: thinking Portillo, Patten, etc...

LiberalUK's idea would be a truly great and realistic addition to the game.

I'm off to see if I can unseat Tony Blair by targetting Sedgefield.

Cheers, silenus

The ideas sound great and I echo the sentiments exactly. Compared to the American version, where the end can be nailbiting all the way to the last state, Election Night in the British version is a little dissapointing. If there is a way to make this better it ought to be explored. Other than that, the game is as good as the American version, if not better. I was dying to play a British version and my prayers have been answered.

Can anyone from the company respond to this post, giving us an indication as to whether or not the ideas can be/will be implemented?

Hi Leftleaner01,

We'll consider ideas for modifying election night - feedback such as this welcome and appreciated.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com