270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dr abc

PM4E

I just read about something called PM4E... What is it and what's the difference in gameplay between that and P4E? Is it worth getting?

It is Prime Minister Forever. Obviously, it is different as their are different election processes, candidates, etc. There are versions for Canada, Australia, UK, and another Canadian province.

I just read about something called PM4E... What is it and what's the difference in gameplay between that and P4E? Is it worth getting?

in specific provinces, you campaign for seats in that distict, not popular vote in p4e

For the record, I don't mean to be condescending, I'm just explaining what a lot of Americans dont' know...if you know somethinga already, just skip it...

Canada uses the Westminster system. Each of 308 ridings make up a seat, and they vote for the Prime Minister (This pretty much means the leader of the party getting the most votes puts their leader up). 4 different parties make up the bulk of votes. If you get more then 50% of the seats, you have a majority government, which means your party is pretty much in charge, because you'd win every vote. A minority govenrment (Like we have now) has to bargain for votes from other parties to pass 50%. It's effectivly a fusion of a legislative/executive branch, with a senate above (Not elected, but They usually just pass everything).

You control the Leader of the party, and coordinate campaigning in the ridings, which vary by province. You go from province to province, making speeches, barnstorming in certain ridings, and trying to turn them into seats for you to govern. Different riding candidtates have different characteristics, some are locks, some two party races, some three party races. Canada's various political divisions make this even more interesting, as does the presense of three major parties and major reigonal pary.

I reccomend it if you have (Or want to have) an understnading of the Canadian system. Otherwise, it could be a tad overwhelming. Lots of names you don't know, etc. Download the demo to try it out.

Now, the Australia version works about the same as the Canadian one, except with two major parties, one coalition partner, and one minor party;about half as many seats, and with preference votes. Preference votes generally take second or third choices of candidates, so it turns into a two party race in each riding.

Anything else you'd like to know? :)

For the record, I don't mean to be condescending, I'm just explaining what a lot of Americans dont' know...if you know somethinga already, just skip it...

americans are pretty stupid about forign stuff most of the time

I can explain that ALOT simpler

get rid of the president

replace the senate with a bunch of yes men who answer to the house

give the party leader's in the house the power to fire someone from the party, and thereby end their carrer in politics

give the leader of the largest party in the house the powers of the president, only without a senate or house to argue with, he's much more powerful then the president can ever be. Call him the Prime Minister

Take the stars and stripes off the flag and replace it with a red leaf

replace the words "United States" with "Canada"

make "Conservative" an insult, not "Liberal"

Move 1000 miles North

and you have Canada :lol:

I can explain that ALOT simpler

get rid of the president

replace the senate with a bunch of yes men who answer to the house

give the party leader's in the house the power to fire someone from the party, and thereby end their carrer in politics

give the leader of the largest party in the house the powers of the president, only without a senate or house to argue with, he's much more powerful then the president can ever be. Call him the Prime Minister

Take the stars and stripes off the flag and replace it with a red leaf

replace the words "United States" with "Canada"

make "Conservative" an insult, not "Liberal"

Move 1000 miles North

and you have Canada  :lol:

No offense, but I think of that as a gross oversimplification. Just beause it's shorter doens't mean it's better.

No offense, but I think of that as a gross oversimplification.  Just beause it's shorter doens't mean it's better.

I don't think Pel. was being informative but kind of smart-ass amusing, at least that's how I read it.

OK. Thanks. So do you have more than one candidate? Could you have stronger candidates in some seats that affect your support? Otherwise woulnd't it be that different than P4E apart from the fact that the result determines both legislative and executive representation.

Are the campaigning issues different?

OK. Thanks. So do you have more than one candidate? Could you have stronger candidates in some seats that affect your support? Otherwise woulnd't it be that different than P4E apart from the fact that the result determines both legislative and executive representation.

Are the campaigning issues different?

Well, kind of. There's no veep. Different ridings have different ratings, and different percentages. IE, here's 4 ridings in Nova Scotia (There's 10 in the province all together)....

Ridings.gif

The stars represent riding candidtate strenth, and you can target ridings and get better footsoldier strength. You can also select up to 3 ridings to barnstorm extra in to help gain strength.

You are in actuality running 308(Or 76, if you're the Bloc Quebecois) little races around the country. Of course, a good amount are sure things, and some can be swung, like states.

Issues? Quite a few are different, though for some reason Abortion is the same (It's a very different issue in Canada). Many issues also need you to rely on Canadian current events to understand. An easy guide to this can be found at the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Canadian_election

It also shows you what the real result was. It will probably take some getting used to, but I find it a lot more fun the President Forever....more micromanagement.

If you do get PM4E, and don't want to start with 308 ridings, I would reccomend Simon Vallée's 2003 Québec Scenario. It's very well done, and would allow you an easier start.

Cool. It looks very interesting and worth getting for those new features.

One last question though... (I've been posting this all over the forum, sorry) - is the British PM4E going to be free for people who are already PM4E Australia/Canada owners?

Thanks for the info guys

One last question though... (I've been posting this all over the forum, sorry) - is the British PM4E going to be free for people who are already PM4E Australia/Canada owners?

Thanks for the info guys

No clue. Sorry. :(

Thanks for the info guys

you can e-mail 80soft and they can probably answer your question