270soft Forum
Myrrd

The X factor

I think new cadidates should enter the game and dropp out at any time during the game.

Example: 2004 bush vs. kerry, with the polls showing an even race, newspaper states:' John Mcain has decided to run for president ", Causing a change in the polls and in the race.

The dropp out would be important to, a person dropping out could change the outcome of the election.

Example: Nader dropps out of the race and most of his votes go to kerry which gives him the lead or even the win in the game.

This would add alot of suprise gameplay, you never know who will decide to run, or how it will affect the outcome.

The person that is dropping out should be able to endorse a candidate that is still running, which would give a bounce/slump to the person they endorse.

Example: Nader drops out the race and endorses kerry, newspapers state "kerry gets small bounce from nader endorsement.

I agree with candidates dropping out, but I reckon it will be hell to program the computer when he should drop out. The computer has no feeling and can't decide for himself whether he thinks it's best for the country to drop out and endorse someone else. Nader could drop out last-minute because he really wants to get rid of Bush. His anti-Bush sentiment would outweight his personal idiology. But I doubt you could program a computer that way.

But IF it would be possible it would be cool.

Last minute drop ins aren't a good idea I think, because one has to gain access to ballots to run, and you can't do that last minute.

It does not have to be a dropp out based on rather the computer feels that is should, It should be based on your percentage of the vote or if you have scandal.

Example: Nader drops to 1% of the national vote, so the computer can choose to dropp out, of if he is out of money you can choose to droop out.Or if a scandal happens and you drop by a very large margin you can decide to drop out or the computer can to drop out depend if the candidate is human or computer.

Well, it could be random, but with a set 'drop-out' factor. Say, a 1-1.5% chance each day of Nader bailing, or a 2-3% chance of candidate suchandsuch jumping in, up to a certain point. And let's not forget 1992...though I honestly think something like that need not be put in the game.

And I like the idea that if a scandal on a minor candidate hits X level or more, they bail...that's actually realistic. Also reminds me of Eagleton/Shriver, come to think of it...