270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
linkinpark3154

West Wing - Bartlett Term 1

They never said. The closest they came was saying it was an open White House after a two term Reagan-like Republican. I would say the VP, but of course the name was never given and I think Josh hinted at the fact that it was not the VP in one episode. I remember something like "It was a wide open White House", I don't think he'd use 'wide open' if there was an incumbant VP.

The West Wing's timeline probably looks something like this:

1974 Gerald Ford ®

1978 D. Wire Newman (D)*

1982 Republican President

1986 Republican President Re-elected

1990 Democratic President**

1994 Lassiter ®***

1998 Jed Bartlet (D)

2002 Jed Bartlet (D)

*It is absolutely certain that he served one term, but he could have been elected in 1990.

**Leo served in his cabinet.

***This is the same guy who died in "The Stormy Present".

Hope this helps linkinpark3154!

Lassiter, the guy who died, was the two term Reagan like president on WW. Newman, the Jimmy Carter-like guy played by James Cromwell, I think, would have served from 86-90. Other than that, the writers have done a good job of not elaborating.

1974 Gerald Ford ®

1978 D. Wire Newman (D)*

1994 Lassiter ®***

1998 Jed Bartlet (D)

2002 Jed Bartlet (D)

*It is absolutely certain that he served one term, but he could have been elected in 1990.

gerald ford?

I remember Sorkin saying that Nixon was generally the last president they used. Any of the living presidents at the time of the show's creation wouldn't exist in the WW world, which includes Ford.

1974 Gerald Ford ®

1978 D. Wire Newman (D)*

1994 Lassiter ®***

1998 Jed Bartlet (D)

2002 Jed Bartlet (D)

Correction, Leo served in Owen Lassiter's as it is said during Leo's drug addiction story that he was "high while running the labour department in 96"

It is also to my understanding that Lassiter was the 2 term president, and there is a portrait of Reagan somewhere in the White House.

I recomend you watch Season 2 episodes 1 and 2, In The Shadow of Two Gunmen Parts 1&2. It is these two episodes which cover the 08 primaries. I would be very interested in the successful creation of this primary, and feel free to use your imagination in its creation.

Best of Luck

1974 Gerald Ford ®

1978 D. Wire Newman (D)*

1994 Lassiter ®***

1998 Jed Bartlet (D)

2002 Jed Bartlet (D)

It's probably not worth going into too much detail about this since I'm sure there are a ton of inconsistencies.

Namely, I have trouble buying the notion that a Republican would choose a Democratic partisan like McGarry for a cabinet level position (even as a show of faux bipartisanship), but it is mentioned that Newman was the last Dem president before Bartlet.

From watching the Stormy Present, it's clear that Newman is analogous to Carter while Lassiter is Nixon archetype. Indeed, the members of the Lassiter administration shown seem to be quite old, giving the impression that his administration did not immediately precede Bartlet's. But if his didn't, then where is the two-term president that did? Surely he would come to the funeral? And it would have to be a moderate Republican (to have appointed McGarry)--not a hardliner like Lassiter.

I think the only thing that we can assume is that the show creators never really considered this chronology a priority, so didn't keep it straight. If one were to attempt to construct a timeline, there are certain criteria that need to be satisifed:

1) 4 Republican presidents in last 30 years (this would include Nixon and Lassiter)

2) Newman the only Democrat in 30 years

3) Bartlet preceded by a two-term Republican president who would plausibly have appointed McGarry

Nixon

Ford (197?-1979)

Lassiter (1979-1987

Newman (1987-1991)

Republican X (1991-1999)

Bartlet (1999-2007)

Santos (2007-???)

The other complicating factor is that the cycle is off by two years. Joining up the West Wing chronology with the real history proves problematic. Obviously there's no good explanation for why the cycle would be off, but it makes things murky. Furthermore, there are apparently portraits of Reagan, Bush, and Clinton all shown at various points throughout the show. Clearly they can't have existed in the West Wing universe, so it's probably best to write those off as easter eggs.

The other complicating factor is that the cycle is off by two years. Joining up the West Wing chronology with the real history proves problematic. Obviously there's no good explanation for why the cycle would be off, but it makes things murky. Furthermore, there are apparently portraits of Reagan, Bush, and Clinton all shown at various points throughout the show. Clearly they can't have existed in the West Wing universe, so it's probably best to write those off as easter eggs.

one reason I heared was that Ford never became presdent, After Agio left Nixson also left before Ford became VP therefore teh Speaker of House became Predent not feeling he had the moral athoiny to rule(being a Dem) he calls for and is granted a specail Presdental Eleaction and that presdent severce for 4year before the next one comes in (Note: the Speaker of the House in Real Life talk and a Specail eleation if he had become presdent)

In the Episode titled, "Bartlet For America" they detail some of the other running against him.

But his biggest challenger was John Hoynes of Texas.

This would be a tough senario to make since we have no idea who he ran against in the general. Or I don't think we ever learn that. I might be wrong.

The timeline I precieved was something like this

Ford became POTUS after Watergate, but a new election was called for 1974,

causing the time shift in Presidential election years

1974-1978 Carter

1978-1986 Reagan (Rep)

1986 Newman (Dem)

1990-1998 Lassiter (Rep)

1998-2006 Bartlet (Dem)

2006 Santos (Dem)

Note: There is a Reagan Medical Center (where Bartlet went after being shot at the end of S1) and a Reagan airport, so presumably Regan served as POTUS

If this is correct, it would appear that a Republican POTUS appointed Democrat Leo McGarry as Labor Secretary. Perhaps Leo's views on labor issues were close to that of Presiednt Lassiter. After all, President Santos DID appoint Republican Arnold Vinick to be SecState because they agreed on foriegn policy

Instead of making a seperate senario for a west wing election, why not just make some of the candidates or potential candidates to the 04, 08 senarios already of the game. Personaly Id like to see Bartlett, Leo, Santos, Josh and Hoynes for the democrats, Vinick, Walken, and most of all, my favorite character on the show, Speaker Jeff Haffley.

To be truely honest id much rather have the candidates than a senario. Perhaps this is an avenue worth exploring?

RAWSON

Instead of making a seperate senario for a west wing election, why not just make some of the candidates or potential candidates to the 04, 08 senarios already of the game. Personaly Id like to see Bartlett, Leo, Santos, Josh and Hoynes for the democrats, Vinick, Walken, and most of all, my favorite character on the show, Speaker Jeff Haffley.

To be truely honest id much rather have the candidates than a senario. Perhaps this is an avenue worth exploring?

RAWSON

I agree. At the very least, a Santos vs. Vinick scenario would be great.

I agree. At the very least, a Santos vs. Vinick scenario would be great.

That already exists. Its on the scenario page on the main 80soft website

I wrote the original Santos vs Vinick (2006) scenario. I am mostly finished with the Primaries version of the scenario. For the Democrats, I have Santos, Russell, Hoynes and Rafferty (with option for Baker in the general election). For the Republicans, I have Vinick, Rev Butler, and Walken. The scenario may need some adjustment, but it is mostly done.

I wrote the original Santos vs Vinick (2006) scenario. I am mostly finished with the Primaries version of the scenario. For the Democrats, I have Santos, Russell, Hoynes and Rafferty (with option for Baker in the general election). For the Republicans, I have Vinick, Rev Butler, and Walken. The scenario may need some adjustment, but it is mostly done.

Can you send it to me?

Matty1019@aol.com

Nothing to do with the scenario itself, but was anyone else surprised by the complete lack of coverage on Walken's candidacy during the show? I thought he'd be a serious contender.