270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Ranking Biden's Top Contenders for VP

1. Tammy Duckworth
    1. Military vet with amazing story. Her senate seat would be replaced by a Democrat. Has at least slight name recognition. She doesn't rouse the opposition to attack her. Trump attacks on a handicapped woman would come off as cruel. Could handle the work of president, I think, if it comes to that. Not so ambitious as to run for president in her own right. 
  2. Val Demmings
    1. From a key state of Florida. Could excite black voters to vote. Downside is that she has no name recognition and might not be ready to be president if it comes to that. 
  3. Kamala Harris
    1. Strong debator and ready to be president, and her senate seat would be replaced by a Democrat. Downside, progressives are already holding their nose to vote for Biden and many progressives don't like Harris. She's also more likely to rouse the opposition against her than the two mentioned above. Her aggressive style might backfire. She's definitely going to run for president in the future if she's VP. Anyone supporting her VP is basically supporting a good chance of a President Harris down the road. 
  4. Keisha Lance Bottoms
    1. From a key state of Georgia. Could excite black voters. No name recognition, probably not ready for presidency, and Georgia will be a difficult state to win even with her on the ticket. 
  5. Elizabeth Warren
    1. My preferred pick. An excellent VP pick except for one thing. Democrats would lose a US Senate seat for a period of time. Biden needs every Senator he can get. 
  6. Susan Rice
    1. This pick is liking doubleing down on Biden. She's very close to him. It's almost too much of an insider pick. She will get attacked as being too much of a Washington insider. She's also never held elected office. She would be ready to be president, at least in regards to foreign policy. 
  7. Karen Bass
    1. I don't see how she helps. Some progressives might like her more than Rice, Bottoms, Harris, or Demings. Her support for Scientology is kind of cringeworthy and Trump will use that in his attacks. She had very little name recognition. She comes from a state that isn't helpful for the general election strategies. 

Just now, MishFox said:

I agree Duckworth is number one for me as well

The issue with Duckworth is she was born in Thailand so I definitely see Republicans trying to stop her from being VP, or if it comes to it, President. 

19 minutes ago, MishFox said:

The issue with Duckworth is she was born in Thailand so I definitely see Republicans trying to stop her from being VP, or if it comes to it, President. 

Eh, who cares.  It’s not like Trump supporters are going to fight fairly if he chooses somebody else instead.  Trump was one of the main proponents of the birther bullshit with Obama.  He’s going to say whatever he wants to say.  He doesn’t care whether any of it is true.

Not so ambitious as to run for president in her own right.

Every Democrat VP in the last century has gone on to run for president.  This is a silly reason not to choose someone as a running mate.

Good reasoning's for each, though I do disagree with some. 

1. Elizabeth Warren - I think she adds a much needed level of excitement to his campaign. Evident by the online fundraiser he did with her last night where his campaign raised $1.7 million from 50,000 donors. She is intelligent and would be an important voice on economic issues in his administration. 

2. Kamala Harris - She's got the name recognition and would be a beast in debating Pence. She's definitely the "safe" pick, which you could argue is a good thing or a bad thing. Despite it not pleasing progressives, there are still some issues I could see her pushing Biden to the left on.

3. Tammy Duckworth - I think a problem is that people either don't know her and if they do, don't know much. I'll admit that as politically involved as I am, I don't know too much about her. Regardless, not a bad pick. 

4. Keisha Lance Bottoms - She isn't known by too many people but she has gained some recognition in recent months - for both good and bad things. I think her and Biden would pair well as a ticket but I don't think it would bring a whole lot of excitement. She also probably is not ready to be President if needed. 

5. Karen Bass- virtually no name recognition when it comes to the average voter. While she is likable among progressives but I don't think there are many progressives who are hoping he will pick her. I don't see how this really helps

6. Val Demings - I just don't see how picking a former police chief in this political climate makes any sense at all. She also isn't known by many and likely isn't ready to take on the duties as President if needed. 

7. Susan Rice - This is just asking for Benghazi to be made a thing again by Republicans. It also seems to just guarantee we are going back to the Obama admin years and just operate exactly how it was. It's Biden so that is a given, but he has seemed to acknowledge that this country is hungry for change and that there are some areas where he was out of touch and he wants to listen and adjust. This would be a slap in the face to those thoughts. 

1.Elizabeth Warren

2.Tammy Duckworth

3.Karen Bass

4.Kamala Harris

5.Val Demings

6.Keisha Lance Bottoms

7.Susan Rice

1. Tammy Duckworth
2. Elizabeth Warren
3. Kamala Harris
4. Susan Rice
5. Val Demings
6. Keisha Lance Bottoms
7. Karen Bass

1.Tammy Duckworth

2.Elizabeth Warren

3.Keisha Lance Bottoms

4.Karen Bass

5.Kamala Harris

6.Susan Rice

7.Val Demmings

1. Tammy Duckworth

2. Kamala Harris

3. Val Demings

4. Elizabeth Warren

5. Susan Rice

6. Keisha Lance Bottoms

7. Karen Bass

10 hours ago, MysteryKnight said:

2. Kamala Harris - She's got the name recognition and would be a beast in debating Pence. She's definitely the "safe" pick, which you could argue is a good thing or a bad thing. Despite it not pleasing progressives, there are still some issues I could see her pushing Biden to the left on.

I can't see how you, and so very many others are clearly missing an obvious problem, here. When police abuse is a HUGE issue among a VERY LARGE group of constituents that Biden needs to court, to the point of mass protests over the issue, how is someone with the background and powerful ties that Harris has to the "law-and-order machine," a "safe pick", or anything but a disaster in the brewing?

1. Duckworth
  2. Warren
  3. Demings
  4. Bottoms
  5. Bass
  6. Harris (I feel her time as DA for San Francisco can be used an attack)
  7. Rice (I feel the GoP will gleefully remind the nation of Benghazi the second she is announced).

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I can't see how you, and so very many others are clearly missing an obvious problem, here. When police abuse is a HUGE issue among a VERY LARGE group of constituents that Biden needs to court, to the point of mass protests over the issue, how is someone with the background and powerful ties that Harris has to the "law-and-order machine," a "safe pick", or anything but a disaster in the brewing?

She has led the charge on police reform in the Senate. That's something no one else on this list has done. 

• Like 1

If it's Rice and Republicans bring up Benghazi, she will gleefully remind the nation the Trump administration has already concluded that Rice did nothing wrong.  There are plenty of good reasons not to choose her, Benghazi ain't one of them.

I had Demings at the top of my list, but you guys are actually doing a good job of persuading me to reconsider Duckworth.  I’d previously worried that while her story is persuasive, she lacked the charisma required for national campaigning.  However, I just watched her 2016 and 2012 convention speeches and I was pleasantly surprised.

19 hours ago, MishFox said:

19 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Eh, who cares.  It’s not like Trump supporters are going to fight fairly if he chooses somebody else instead.  Trump was one of the main proponents of the birther bullshit with Obama.  He’s going to say whatever he wants to say.  He doesn’t care whether any of it is true.

The thing that's beautiful about attacking Duckworth on being born in Thailand is that she has relatives that fought under George Washington.

You'd essentially being attacking a woman whose family was here before Trump's and lost both her legs in Iraq for being less American than a draft dodger.

I think Duckworth really is the obvious option and only way for Biden to go here.