270soft Forum
admin_270

Tuberville defeats Sessions in Alabama, will challenge incumbent Doug Jones

Tuberville (former college football coach) has defeated Sessions (former Sen., AG) in a run-off for the Republican nomination for Senate.

He won 60-40.

Last time around, this was a disaster for Republicans, with Judge Moore winning the nomination and then running an historically bad campaign, losing to Doug Jones.

RCP has only one poll with Tuberville vs. Jones, taken in February. It has Tuberville +8.

Jones only won cause about 12k people wrote in a name other than Moore. Jones has done enough to mount a somewhat competitive campaign for a Democrat and I think it will be a good fight but I don't think it'll ever be a true toss-up. Yuck Auburn.

49 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Tuberville (former college football coach) has defeated Sessions (former Sen., AG) in a run-off for the Republican nomination for Senate.

He won 60-40.

Last time around, this was a disaster for Republicans, with Judge Moore winning the nomination and then running an historically bad campaign, losing to Doug Jones.

RCP has only one poll with Tuberville vs. Jones, taken in February. It has Tuberville +8.

I'll be shocked if Tuberville loses to Jones; however, I don't think it is impossible for Jones to win.

Sessions was hurt partially by Roy Moore's endorsement this week. I wonder if a Moore endorsement of Tuberville and continued unpopularity of Trump might give Jones some sort of outside chance of winning if Trump loses 5 to 10% more support in AL than he has now. Not likely, but possible. I think it is also possible that at least some Sessions supporters, so angry at Trump''s treatment of Sessions might vote for Jones out of spite or at least not vote. I think a lot is going to depend on how Jones responds to his new opponent. Overall, no one expects Jones to win nor had they expected Jones to win. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I think it is also possible that at least some Sessions supporters, so angry at Trump''s treatment of Sessions might vote for Jones out of spite or at least not vote.

This is an interesting possibility.

I think it'll be closer than one thinks (such as 53-47 or something like that) because Tuberville honestly isnt a great candidate either. 

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

He won 60-40.

I think people are making too much of a meal over this. This non-event - all-in-all - has dominated three threads now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patine said:

I think people are making too much of a meal over this. This non-event - all-in-all - has dominated three threads now.

Why is it a non-event? Could determine which party holds this Senate seat come Jan.

Alabama is 1 of the few states that will have a great turnout for Trump. Tubberville will win by 10-12 points 

On 7/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, Patine said:

Why? I think the Alabama Senate election is among the most interesting this year. A high-profile race succeeds a high-profile primary. Only two competitive primaries could have had me grabbing even more popcorn. Originally my favorite senate election of the cycle was the Colorado one, but Montana and Alabama follow closely so far. Florida was easily the best election of the last cycle, because it featured two extremely high-profile candidates one-on-one. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Why? I think the Alabama Senate election is among the most interesting this year. A high-profile race succeeds a high-profile primary. Only two competitive primaries could have had me grabbing even more popcorn. Originally my favorite senate election of the cycle was the Colorado one, but Montana and Alabama follow closely so far. Florida was easily the best election of the last cycle, because it featured two extremely high-profile candidates one-on-one. 

So, basically, a Primary between an old judge who was on the swing from Trump's "revolving door Cabinet," with a credibly-backed history of racist rulings versus a vapid sports coach with no experience, no plan of his own, and no qualification other than an endorsement by Trump (which, among, those with any sense in their skull, should be a strike against him) to face probably one of the most Conservative Blue Dog Democrats in the Senate who ONLY won last time his opponent had credible and realistic evidence of allegations of sexually assaulting pre-adult teenage girls and early adult women. Frankly, it doesn't sound like a "top interesting Senate in the country," so much as grounds for political black comedy.

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

a Primary between an old judge who was on the swing from Trump's "revolving door Cabinet,"

??? Sessions wasn't a judge.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

??? Sessions wasn't a judge.

He wasn't? I had thought Trump originally tapped some Alabama judge named Jeff Sessions with a questionable alleged history of biased judgements to be his Attorney-General back in 2017. I could have gotten the details wrong - it was over three years, and it was American news, which is notoriously messy and at cross-purposes with itself in presentation - but I had thought that's I had remembered.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

He wasn't? I had thought Trump originally tapped some Alabama judge named Jeff Sessions with a questionable alleged history of biased judgements to be his Attorney-General back in 2017. I could have gotten the details wrong - it was over three years, and it was American news, which is notoriously messy and at cross-purposes with itself in presentation - but I had thought that's I had remembered.

Why are you saying this? Just do a search. Would take less time than typing all that.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Why are you saying this? Just do a search. Would take less time than typing all that.

Because, as I said earlier, Google is no longer my friend, and hasn't been for several years. ;)

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Because, as I said earlier, Google is no longer my friend, and hasn't been for several years. ;)

My dad likes to stay that if you have the internet at your fingertips and you aren't the smartest person in the room then you're doing it wrong. This comes from a man who doesn't use the internet. 

Also there is plenty of other search engines available. Or maybe you could just not comment on everything when you don't know what you're taking about, that's always an option too.

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Colorado is going to be really interesting and I am absolutely bias about it because of Hickenlooper hahah

• Like 1

Just now, SilentLiberty said:

My dad likes to stay that if you have the internet at your fingertips and you aren't the smartest person in the room then you're doing it wrong. This comes from a man who doesn't use the internet. 

Also there is plenty of other search engines available. Or maybe you could just not comment on everything when you don't know what you're taking about, that's always an option too.

I do use the damned Internet. But this is now starting to feel like a disingenuous, diversionary tactic, Because I got Sessions original profession wrong, and didn't promptly look it up, that my whole bleak, damning, and VERY critical view of the whole election at question and it's exaggerated "relevance," is suddenly and completely up for challenge and discreditation in it's entirety, lock-and-stock-and-barrel. Do you really think I'm going to fall for such a flimsy tactic, or not see right through it?

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I do use the damned Internet. But this is now starting to feel like a disingenuous, diversionary tactic, Because I got Sessions original profession wrong, and didn't promptly look it up, that my whole bleak, damning, and VERY critical view of the whole election at question and it's exaggerated "relevance," is suddenly and completely up for challenge and discreditation in it's entirety, lock-and-stock-and-barrel. Do you really think I'm going to fall for such a flimsy tactic, or not see right through it?

I mean I don't think it's suddenly. I think it always has been. Hahahah

3 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I mean I don't think it's suddenly. I think it always has been. Hahahah

Ah, so schoolyard level insults is all you have left to resort to, is it? How unfortunate.

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

I can't blame you.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Ah, so schoolyard level insults is all you have left to resort to, is it? How unfortunate.

Btw I wasn't saying you didn't use the internet, obviously you do. I was saying my dad held that opinion despite not using the internet. 

But yeah if you get facts wrong and then don't straight up admit it, instead blaming the American media or how long ago it was or whatever, when you can easily do research to find out, yeah how credible you are takes a hit. 

Edited by SilentLiberty
Creditable hahaha

5 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Btw I wasn't saying you didn't use the internet, obviously you do. I was saying my dad held that opinion despite not using the internet. 

But yeah if you get facts wrong and then don't straight up admit it, instead blaming the American media or how long ago it was or whatever, when you can easily do research to find out, yeah how credible you are takes a hit. 

Though, Sessions' original profession was only a very small part of my statement.

20 hours ago, Patine said:

Though, Sessions' original profession was only a very small part of my statement.

Since no one has done you the kindness of a simple correction and instead we’ve all seemed to gang up on you: He was the U.S Attorney for the Southern Alabama district from 1981-1993. He was then elected Attorney General of Alabama in 1994, he served from 1995 until 1997 when he was sworn into the U.S. Senate where he had continually served for 20 years (3 terms and some change) until being tapped for United States Attorney General in 2017. He then resigned in late 2018 and since has tried and failed to regain his old Senate seat which was the original point of this thread.

15 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Since no one has done you the kindness of a simple correction and instead we’ve all seemed to gang up on you: He was the U.S Attorney for the Southern Alabama district from 1981-1993. He was then elected Attorney General of Alabama in 1994, he served from 1995 until 1997 when he was sworn into the U.S. Senate where he had continually served for 20 years (3 terms and some change) until being tapped for United States Attorney General in 2017. He then resigned in late 2018 and since has tried and failed to regain his old Senate seat which was the original point of this thread.

Ah, thank-you @Reagan04. You're a better friend than Google - or @SilentLiberty or @admin_270. :P

Although, it still smacks of the grounds for political black comedy, to me. :P