270soft Forum
wolves

Has the GOP effectively doomed their future with Trump?

Just a question.

If Trump loses in this election, the next time the GOP will probably have a good chance is 2028, I believe Biden as an incumbent wouldn't fall as hard in the polls as Trump is, probably would be even if not ahead.

With Gen Z's majority reaching the voting age by 2028 (and a lot by 2024), the generation clearly being the most left ever, the most diverse and most tolerant, Trump's style of politics definitely wouldn't survive into the upcoming era.

The question is, has the GOP damaged itself too much to reshape into appealing to these future generations? States like Florida will be in play forever cause the support base for the GOP there lies with old people but PA, NC, OH, NV, AZ are all slipping towards the blue and we're seeing this demographic change happen in real time in states like Texas and Georgia, previously stoic red states.

• Like 1

The electorate has a short memory.  After the 2014 mid-terms, the chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee claimed they had built a 100 year majority.  They lost the House four years later.  There are similar stories going back as far as the beginning of the Republic.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, wolves said:

Just a question.

If Trump loses in this election, the next time the GOP will probably have a good chance is 2028, I believe Biden as an incumbent wouldn't fall as hard in the polls as Trump is, probably would be even if not ahead.

With Gen Z's majority reaching the voting age by 2028 (and a lot by 2024), the generation clearly being the most left ever, the most diverse and most tolerant, Trump's style of politics definitely wouldn't survive into the upcoming era.

The question is, has the GOP damaged itself too much to reshape into appealing to these future generations? States like Florida will be in play forever cause the support base for the GOP there lies with old people but PA, NC, OH, NV, AZ are all slipping towards the blue and we're seeing this demographic change happen in real time in states like Texas and Georgia, previously stoic red states.

I think the GOP rebounds in 2028---and 2024 if Biden isn't effective. The GOP voters have to go somewhere and it's the GOP or Libertarians. I think if the Libertarian party gets stronger, it will just help Democrats.  

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think the GOP rebounds in 2028---and 2024 if Biden isn't effective. The GOP voters have to go somewhere and it's the GOP or Libertarians. I think if the Libertarian party gets stronger, it will just help Democrats.  

I agree but I do think the GOP will have to start playing in the Democrats court within the next 10 years, like how it was before Reagan. 

3 hours ago, wolves said:

I agree but I do think the GOP will have to start playing in the Democrats court within the next 10 years, like how it was before Reagan. 

Parties change all the time.  Republicans used to believe state and local governments were better equipped to set school policies, now they're dictating those policies from Washington.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pilight said:

Parties change all the time.  Republicans used to believe state and local governments were better equipped to set school policies, now they're dictating those policies from Washington.

You're right, I think I'm more or less trying to figure out how the GOP recovers from Trump's impact. A lot of the "future" leaders in the party e.g. your Marco Rubio's and your Tom Cotton's are all firmly in his corner. If the electorate truly has a short memory it shouldn't be an issue, unless after Trump leaves office they pass his mantle.

Nope. The GOP was elected despite Trump. Imagine they had run a sane candidate. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, wolves said:

Just a question.

False.  A President Biden and Democratic majority will face a disastrous economic situation along with plenty of other emergencies inherited from Trump similar to the crap that Obama inherited from Bush II.

Democrats will be be too tired or infighting once back in power, and Republicans will harness backlash to make powerful comebacks from local to state levels in 2021-22.

Biden has a fraction of Obama's political skills and will be increasingly senile at 80 years old, so he will not have the power to competently manage the Nation and his fractious Democratic Party through the coming years.

A defeat of Trump will not end our times of trouble.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

False.  A President Biden and Democratic majority will face a disastrous economic situation along with plenty of other emergencies inherited from Trump similar to the crap that Obama inherited from Bush II.

Democrats will be be too tired or infighting once back in power, and Republicans will harness backlash to make powerful comebacks from local to state levels in 2021-22.

Biden has a fraction of Obama's political skills and will be increasingly senile at 80 years old, so he will not have the power to competently manage the Nation and his fractious Democratic Party through the coming years.

I didn't think about the Dem infighting, very, very interesting angle to tackle.

18 hours ago, wolves said:

Just a question.

It would be very nice if the corrupt and rigged electoral system would actually allow the possibility of the demise of the Republican Party of the United States (or, in the right context, the Democratic Party of the United States, or both Duopoly parties) like tends to happen to failed political parties in healthy and functional partisan system in other parts of the world - but the Turno Pacifico, with their corrupt party caudillos, who have been committing criminal electoral interference and malfeasance in the U.S. for decades, long before any "Russian hacker scandals,"  - and the American voters have no true choice in that matter.

1 hour ago, Jayavarman said:

Good point - if Dems win, might have a lot of problems to deal with. Starting with a President who might have dementia.