270soft Forum
billay

Did Biden make a mistake by committing to picking a woman as VP?

2 hours ago, Patine said:

I might be thinking of another candidate who often comes up for running mate or other suggestions in these matters on these forums. I admit, my knowledge of the many, many lists of names of modern U.S. politicians being bandied about does get confused at times, and I have probably honestly mistook him for someone else. My apologies.

You may be thinking of Kennedy, who is thought of as a progressive when he really isn't much of one. 

3 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

You may be thinking of Kennedy, who is thought of as a progressive when he really isn't much of one. 

That's quite possible.

18 hours ago, Patine said:

His reasons for his choice of running were not at all the same. After the 2008 Republican Presidential Primaries, there was so much bad blood between the Primary candidates and their core supporters, and the party unity so badly damaged beyond an easy solution, that McCain choosing a rival, or a strong member of a rival's camp, would only exacerbate the so issue. So, he chose to move on, and select an outlier within the party, but one who still had a significant elected office. He was hastily given a short list by an aide, and chose Palin hurriedly without much vetting at all. Not the same situation in the least.

Probably should have clarified in detail why I made that remark, then and now it still feels too much like pandering.  McCain choosing Palin as his VP felt to me as a "flashy" pack designed to counter the fact that the Democratic Party nominated the popular African-American Senator from Illinois (at that time), Barack Obama.  Considering Obama's strong oratory skills, and the hostile electoral environment, it felt like grasping at straws by nominating a female VP to be honest.

My main problem with the move comes due to the fact that he is picking his VP with a built-in superficial requirement of being a member of the female sex.  I would have had no problem with him selecting a female VP pick after carefully perusing all options, and never announcing that the pick had to be female, as it meant that he covered all of his bases and that the female VP pick was the best one out of all.  Announcing that the VP pick has to be female beforehand just feels like pandering and "checking a box" to be rather frank.  What if Beto or Pete were better qualified VP picks than any of Biden's potential selections, should they be excluded from the possibility of getting the VP nomination just for being men?

Identity politics will be the destruction of America.

This is a similarity with the 1984 election. Mondale (former VP under Carter, just as Biden is former VP under Obama) chose Ferraro, first female VP nominee and first Italian-American nominee for a major party.

Ticket lost in a landslide against Reagan's re-election, 525-13, winning only 2 EC regions (Minnesota - Mondale's home state - and D.C.).

Big difference is that polls in 1984 had Reagan ahead by about 10 pts at this point in election cycle, while now it's Biden ahead by 10 pts.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:07 AM, Jayavarman said:

Committing to a woman VP early unified the Democratic Party post-primary and has kept activist women members of the party engaged, such as Warren supporters.

This is correct IMO.

As long as he avoids a pick who turns into a significant centrist-independents liability, Biden's key goal here is to unify the Dem party.

Having these restrictions on his choices increases the chances the VP won't be the best person for running the government and getting legislation passed, but Biden needs to win first for those to matter.

3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

This is a similarity with the 1984 election. Mondale (former VP under Carter, just as Biden is former VP under Obama) chose Ferraro, first female VP nominee and first Italian-American nominee for a major party.

Ticket lost in a landslide against Reagan's re-election, 525-13, winning only 2 EC regions (Minnesota - Mondale's home state - and D.C.).

Big difference is that polls in 1984 had Reagan ahead by about 10 pts at this point in election cycle, while now it's Biden ahead by 10 pts.

Trump is not Reagan. He's not remotely close, despite his self-serving attempts to style himself as such for disingenuous PR and blatantly pladgarizing his campaign logo. As much as I am NOT at all a fan of Reagan, every time Trump or one of his cronies makes' the comparison, it smacks of empty, vapid egotism, unmerited, delusion distortion of perspective, and, at times, even desperation.

Just now, Patine said:

Trump is not Reagan. He's not remotely close, despite his self-serving attempts to style himself as such for disingenuous PR and blatantly pladgarizing his campaign logo. As much as I am NOT at all a fan of Reagan, every time Trump or one of his cronies makes' the comparison, it smacks of empty, vapid egotism, unmerited, delusion distortion of perspective, and, at times, even desperation.

Oh, he's totally better than Reagan. Taller, richer, more handsome, more charming. You're just jealous!

Seriously though, the men are quite different. More importantly, Reagan was leading Mondale (as pointed out above) by 10 pts at this point in the election cycle. So big difference.

5 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Oh, he's totally better than Reagan. Taller, richer, more handsome, more charming. You're just jealous!

If you think I envy or immensely desire great wealth, fame, or power, you're defaulting to base stereotype and don't know that well.

Plus, if an absolute ogre like Donald Trump was NOT filthy rich, pretty much from the start, he would be a very lonely man, almost certainly...

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

If you think I envy or immensely desire great wealth, fame, or power, you're defaulting to base stereotype and don't know that well.

I am definitely detecting some sour grapes here! 🤣

Just now, admin_270 said:

I am definitely detecting some sour grapes here! 🤣

Again, too many assumptions based on not knowing me that well.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Again, too many assumptions based on not knowing me that well.

I'm KIDDING, Pat. That's what the 'Seriously though' part meant.