270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Mississippi Flag Designs

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Five black artists came up with these designs: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/artists-design-mississippi-flag/index.html

Which of these do you like most? I like Robin Martea's and Dante Johnson's the most. 

I'm dubious of any flag that invokes our Heavenly Father in text on the flag, regardless of it's maker. The one with the floral centre and ring of stars is alright, though. The one with the weird birds just looks weird.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm dubious of any flag that invokes our Heavenly Father in text on the flag, regardless of it's maker. The one with the floral centre and ring of stars is alright, though. The one with the weird birds just looks weird.

I like the bird flag. 

MS Gov said that a religious message must be in the flag---I guess to satisfy the Confederates. Just kidding. The black population in MS is also very religious. MS is one of the most religious states. 

30 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I like the bird flag. 

MS Gov said that a religious message must be in the flag---I guess to satisfy the Confederates. Just kidding. The black population in MS is also very religious. MS is one of the most religious states. 

Maybe a majority "religious," but, judging by a lot of factors that are very visible about and surrounding Mississippi, I would only a minority, possibly a small minority, who'd actually be Christian, by the fruit of their words and actions, based upon the Ministry of Christ.

10 minutes ago, pilight said:

Those designs are all too busy.  I like Dante Johnson's or Qin Mobley's the best.

Mobley's seems busy. I don't think Johnson's is too busy. 

32 minutes ago, pilight said:

Those designs are all too busy.  I like Dante Johnson's or Qin Mobley's the best.

I don't know about busy being the right word, but I'm not a fan of any of them. Mobley's is the best imo though.

Qin Mobley's or Dante Johnson's are the best from the presented options. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I like the bird flag. 

Yeah, as someone who loves animals I agree, but it's a too complex design I think.

MS Gov said that a religious message must be in the flag

While I agree on this, I also think that could be a future issue for the Supreme Court. I don't know all messages of US flags and seals in detail, but if there is no display of religious messages yet, someone could bring up the question if this is legal under the separation of church and state. 

I'm color blind, and my artistic ability -- to the extent that I have any -- has been limited strictly to the written and spoken word.

So take this with a grain of salt, but...

Dante: I get that the background image is the state flower, but I'm unclear on what the star with the three circles is meant to represent.  It wasn't explained in the narrative.

Robin:  Beautiful drawing, but seems more fitting for a fancy children's book than a flag.

Reshonda:  I  like this one the most.  It feels a little more like a college flag than a state flag, but I'm hardly an expert on this topic.  I would normally be opposed to direct religious references, but "In God We Trust" is literally the official motto of the United States.  We can argue whether it SHOULD be the motto, but it currently is nonetheless.  The real issue here might be that it's actually Florida's official motto as well, so it might be confusing to have it appear on Mississippi's flag.  

Qin:  Too plain.

Jyreme:  Too busy.  

The Florida and Georgia flags say "In God We Trust".  The South Dakota flag says "Under God The People Rule".

• Like 1

I like the bird flag. 

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

I don't know about busy being the right word, but I'm not a fan of any of them. Mobley's is the best imo though.

9 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm color blind, and my artistic ability -- to the extent that I have any -- has been limited strictly to the written and spoken word.

So take this with a grain of salt, but...

Dante: I get that the background image is the state flower, but I'm unclear on what the star with the three circles is meant to represent.  It wasn't explained in the narrative.

Robin:  Beautiful drawing, but seems more fitting for a fancy children's book than a flag.

Reshonda:  I  like this one the most.  It feels a little more like a college flag than a state flag, but I'm hardly an expert on this topic.  I would normally be opposed to direct religious references, but "In God We Trust" is literally the official motto of the United States.  We can argue whether it SHOULD be the motto, but it currently is nonetheless.  The real issue here might be that it's actually Florida's official motto as well, so it might be confusing to have it appear on Mississippi's flag.  

Qin:  Too plain.

Jyreme:  Too busy.  

Although, now taking a look at my big collection of world national, aspired national, subnational administrative subdivision and non-integral political dependency, city, historical, political party and other organizational flags in bitmap form (which is a huge collection), the proposed bird flag does kind of resemble the flag of Sussex County in England.

Flag_of_Sussex_County.png

• Like 1

One of the busiest designs I know was ironically made briefly in the 16th century. It's the banner of the Pilgrimage of Grace, an uprising in medieval England.

1280px-Banner_of_the_Holy_Wounds_(Pilgrimage_of_Grace).svg.png

The flag must contain the words In God We Trust within it so only Perryman or Mcmillion flags could realistically be chosen as the flag.