270soft Forum
vcczar

Governor and Trump COVID approvals

This is worth looking at. Voters will remember this. Bad news for Trump and incumbent governors:

D34CE1F9-4571-4B14-AEDE-A1C4E9E26709.jpeg

And here's another map: This is the 2020 Election if Coronavirus approval decided the election: 0mxLW.png

Ya, could be important. These trends might also quickly change in a given state. Issue as a whole might also fade from the headlines by Nov., or re-emerge and dominate the headlines. We'll see.

Just now, admin_270 said:

Ya, could be important. These trends might also quickly change in a given state. Issue as a whole might also fade from the headlines by Nov., or re-emerge and dominate the headlines. We'll see.

Or, you could be suffering from major wistful thinking, too...

9 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I don't think voter memories are going to be short on an event that kept them mostly inside for close to half a year or more. I mean 33% approval on what is probably the major event of Trump's presidency, or at the very least his Katrina moment, is probably going to have a slight crippling impact on Trump. 

What's most interesting about the state polls is how poorly both Trump and the Republican Gov are polling in Arkansas. They'll probably still vote for him. Trump's Iowa approval for Covid handling is almost non-existent. 

Trump's approval is the same as the state governors in OK, AL, MO, TN, FL, and GA, and in most of these they both have negative approval. Trump's approval is below the governor's approval in all 44 of the other states. 

Just now, admin_270 said:

That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'm aware of what it means. I think you just don't like it being used in this context about you and your hopes for the near future.

It’s interesting that Ohio Governor DeWine and Trump are moving down almost perfectly parallel, as they have entirely different approaches to COVID.

Ive been extremely impressed by DeWine’s performance during this crisis.  My opinion of him has shot way up.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm aware of what it means. I think you just don't like it being used in this context about you and your hopes for the near future.

Rare moment alert: I’m going to have to go with @admin_270 on this one.  

Wistful means “vague or regretful longing.”  You and I may find Admin’s thoughts re: Trump to be regretful, but he certainly doesn’t.

The word you likely sought was wishful.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

is probably going to have a slight crippling impact on Trump

Ya, at this point it's working against him, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

It’s interesting that Ohio Governor DeWine and Trump are moving down almost perfectly parallel, as they have entirely different approaches to COVID.

Ive been extremely impressed by DeWine’s performance during this crisis.  My opinion of him has shot way up.

Same with me. I would never vote for him, but my opinion went from "He seems only moderately intelligent and too faith based --- a George W. Bush." to "The fact that he puts politics aside to contain the major crisis of the year shows that he deserves to be a governor."  

If I had a 10 pt score.....with Sanders and Warren being a 9/10. Obama being a 8/10. Biden being a 7/10. Huntsman and Charlie Baker at 5/10, Kasich and Romney and McCain a 4/10. Bush II a 2/10. I had DeWine initially at a 2/10. I now have him at 4/10. Rubio is 3/10. Nikki Haley and Rand Paul is 1/10. Cruz and Trump are 0/10. The last 10/10 for me might be La Follette. I have almost no 10/10. 

22 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Rare moment alert: I’m going to have to go with @admin_270 on this one.  

Wistful means “vague or regretful longing.”  You and I may find Admin’s thoughts re: Trump to be regretful, but he certainly doesn’t.

The word you likely sought was wishful.

19 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Same with me. I would never vote for him, but my opinion went from "He seems only moderately intelligent and too faith based --- a George W. Bush." to "The fact that he puts politics aside to contain the major crisis of the year shows that he deserves to be a governor."  

If I had a 10 pt score.....with Sanders and Warren being a 9/10. Obama being a 8/10. Biden being a 7/10. Huntsman and Charlie Baker at 5/10, Kasich and Romney and McCain a 4/10. Bush II a 2/10. I had DeWine initially at a 2/10. I now have him at 4/10. Rubio is 3/10. Nikki Haley and Rand Paul is 1/10. Cruz and Trump are 0/10. The last 10/10 for me might be La Follette. I have almost no 10/10. 

Strangely, Jason Kenney, the Premier of Alberta, whose of the United Conservative Party (which is essentially the dominant right-wing party in Alberta on the Provincial level of Government) has also done surprisingly well, and quite exceeded my expectations, for the usual views his party, and the two previous right-wing parties that merged into the UCP in 2017, often take in these kind of matters - and certainly FAR better than the notorious Ontario Premier Doug Ford, also quite right-leaning ideologically.

I'm glad Reynolds is taking a hit. Her mismanagement and bungling of this crisis has resulted in loss of life ever since this has started. Her pride, disdain for experts, and general incompetence has left our state burdened with the second highest case count today of the whole coronavirus pandemic. Iowa is still a swing state. We won't forget this.

44 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I'm glad Reynolds is taking a hit. Her mismanagement and bungling of this crisis has resulted in loss of life ever since this has started. Her pride, disdain for experts, and general incompetence has left our state burdened with the second highest case count today of the whole coronavirus pandemic. Iowa is still a swing state. We won't forget this.

It seems pride, disdain for experts is the hallmark of right-wing populism and leads to a proliferation of general incompetence. 

52 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

It seems pride, disdain for experts is the hallmark of right-wing populism and leads to a proliferation of general incompetence. 

Imperial Officer - "I have been analyzing the Rebel tactics, and I believe there may be a danger. Shall I ready your escape craft?"

Grand Moff Tarkin - "Escape? On the brink of our greatest victory? I think not!"

<Death Star blows up five minutes later with Tarkin on it>

-"Star War, Episode IV, A New Hope"

53 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Her mismanagement and bungling of this crisis has resulted in loss of life ever since this has started.

Why do you feel she has bungled this crisis?

48 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

The chart in the original post seems to suggest most of Iowa thinks she's bungled it, although it seems most blame Trump. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The chart in the original post seems to suggest most of Iowa thinks she's bungled it, although it seems most blame Trump. 

Ya, but what has the Gov. done wrong? That's really my Q.

53 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

She never locked down the state fully. She entrusted testing to a Utah start up rather than one of the prestigious universities. She only did that because Ashton Kutcher recommended it (not exactly an expert....) She's ignored advice from the University of Iowa about what to do to in the crisis (I can't remember the exact thing but it was bad - something with masks or testing or something). Her daily press conferences became less and less frequent until they stopped happening at all - even while cases climbed. She refuses to let local officials mandate masks, even though it would probably help in some areas for a certain amount of time. No new guidelines have been given by the State Education Department for school reopening. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

She never locked down the state fully. She entrusted testing to a Utah start up rather than one of the prestigious universities. She only did that because Ashton Kutcher recommended it (not exactly an expert....) She's ignored advice from the University of Iowa about what to do to in the crisis (I can't remember the exact thing but it was bad - something with masks or testing or something). Her daily press conferences became less and less frequent until they stopped happening at all - even while cases climbed. She refuses to let local officials mandate masks, even though it would probably help in some areas for a certain amount of time. No new guidelines have been given by the State Education Department for school reopening. 

Thanks for this. And is there a relevant metric by which you can see the consequences of her poor judgment - is it new cases, or something else?

30 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Thanks for this. And is there a relevant metric by which you can see the consequences of her poor judgment - is it new cases, or something else?

Today we had the 2nd most # of cases total so far. We've been significantly higher the last few days/week.

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Today we had the 2nd most # of cases total so far. We've been significantly higher the last few days/week.

And do you have an opinion of how she has performed relative to neighbouring S.D.'s Gov. Noem?

32 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

And do you have an opinion of how she has performed relative to neighbouring S.D.'s Gov. Noem?

I don't think it's appropriate to compare bad with awful. The midwest as a whole failed. At least NE, IA, SD region.