270soft Forum

Ranking of Presidents by Voter Outrage

I don't have figures to support this, so this is just based off reader observation. The post-Watergate media is going to skew this against recent presidents. Prior to watergate, the Media refrained from gotcha journalism for the most part. With Clinton, Gingrich, and Limbaugh, the media became more politicized.: 

1. Trump
  2. Hoover
  3. Tyler
  4. JQ Adams
  5. LBJ
  6. A Johnson
  7. Nixon
  8. Obama
  9. Lincoln
  10. Jackson
  11. Polk
  12. Madison
  13. Jefferson
  14. Clinton
  15. Buchanan
  16. Wilson
  17. Bush II
  18. Truman
  19. Ford
  20. B Harrison
  21. FDR
  22. Pierce
  23. J Adams
  24. Reagan
  25. Taft
  26. Carter
  27. Hayes
  28. Bush I
  29. Grant
  30. Van Buren
  31. Washington
  32. Cleveland
  33. Taylor
  34. Fillmore
  35. Th Roosevelt
  36. Monroe
  37. Coolidge
  38. McKinley
  39. JFK
  40. Eisenhower
  41. Arthur
  42. Harding
  43. Garfield
  44. WH Harrison

While typing this, this news item appeared: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/us/trump-tower-black-lives-matter-mural-new-york-trnd/index.html

1 minute ago, pilight said:

You've got LBJ too low.  People were outside the White House chanting "Hey, hey, LBJ. How many kids did you kill today?" 24  hours a day for his whole second term.

I kept that in mind, but he was also extremely popular--- Landslide Lyndon in reelection--for part of the term. It wasn't as sustained as the outrage of the others. Hoover was popular for like 6 months before the economy crashed. Trump, Tyler, and JQ Adams faced outrage from day 1. The chants that you mention are the reason LBJ is even at #5. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I don't have figures to support this, so this is just based off reader observation. The post-Watergate media is going to skew this against recent presidents. Prior to watergate, the Media refrained from gotcha journalism for the most part. With Clinton, Gingrich, and Limbaugh, the media became more politicized.: 

1. Trump
  2. Hoover
  3. Tyler
  4. JQ Adams
  5. LBJ
  6. A Johnson
  7. Nixon
  8. Obama
  9. Lincoln
  10. Jackson
  11. Polk
  12. Madison
  13. Jefferson
  14. Clinton
  15. Buchanan
  16. Wilson
  17. Bush II
  18. Truman
  19. Ford
  20. B Harrison
  21. FDR
  22. Pierce
  23. J Adams
  24. Reagan
  25. Taft
  26. Carter
  27. Hayes
  28. Bush I
  29. Grant
  30. Van Buren
  31. Washington
  32. Cleveland
  33. Taylor
  34. Fillmore
  35. Th Roosevelt
  36. Monroe
  37. Coolidge
  38. McKinley
  39. JFK
  40. Eisenhower
  41. Arthur
  42. Harding
  43. Garfield
  44. WH Harrison

While typing this, this news item appeared: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/us/trump-tower-black-lives-matter-mural-new-york-trnd/index.html

Nixon wasn't in the top five?

28 minutes ago, Patine said:

Nixon wasn't in the top five?

No. The length of his outrage during his presidency was more focused towards the end. He was popular enough for a historic landslide reelection. This is the same reason LBJ is only at #5

• Upvote 1

This just happened today: ttblm.focal-760x428.jpg

The Central Park 5 helped paint this. If anyone remembers, Trump took out a page long ad calling for the execution of them. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

This just happened today: ttblm.focal-760x428.jpg

The Central Park 5 helped paint this. If anyone remembers, Trump took out a page long ad calling for the execution of them. 

So uh, how about actual police reform? Any progress on that? 

7 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Hard for civilians to reform the police.  They are "calling" for it, of course, and putting political pressure on to the best of their ability.

In the meantime, we also have these acts to spread further awareness and calls to action.

4 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Yeah, this needs to occur. Seems like people are dragging their feet on this. Both sides need to make concessions. Probably increase budget for police in exchange for conceding to major protections from police brutality. I'd also suggest police mental health testing, immediately retirement of police with post-traumatic stress, and an increase in pension for those that were afflicted with post-traumatic stress on the job. Any police officer with a documented domestic violence case cannot be hired and must be fired if already hired. Police should represent the community in which they are working. Basicaly, we need a mix of regulations and incentives to limit abuse but also to encourage applications to the force. Naturally, one has to consider in what ways new and old laws limit the efficiency of police. I think calls for defunding police are counter-productive, and I"m glad that Biden isn't on board with that. I don't even think Sanders is really on board with that. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I kept that in mind, but he was also extremely popular--- Landslide Lyndon in reelection--for part of the term. 

Wasn't that more about mourning for JFK?  

I'm also surprised to see Obama rated higher than Bush 2.0.  Yes, Fox News was against him, but most of the other major outlets were generally supportive of his Presidency.  

Just now, Actinguy said:

Hard for civilians to reform the police.  They are "calling" for it, of course, and putting political pressure on to the best of their ability.

In the meantime, we also have these acts to spread further awareness and calls to action.

The police, like the military, are under the control, regulation, direction, funding, and all relevant legislations to civilian government, by the "Washington Precedent," (as in the man, not the city) in almost all First World, and a fair number of Third World, Nations, and the separate, but equivalent and analogous, "Mao Precedent," in the PRC and a number of Far-Left Third World Revolutionary Nations. Military and police forces that regulate, fund, govern, and discipline themselves, completely autonomous of civilian governments, are breeding grounds for Third World military juntas and dictatorships, or tin-pot despotisms propped up only by "military support and advice." So, if civilians can't reform the police, there's a BIG problem there...

12 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Wasn't that more about mourning for JFK?  

I'm also surprised to see Obama rated higher than Bush 2.0.  Yes, Fox News was against him, but most of the other major outlets were generally supportive of his Presidency.  

No, there was a full year. That can't be just mourning. LBJ also had many times more legislative successes in a year than JFK had in his entire presidency. 

I'm applying the Tea Party movement more to Obama than Bush II. There's also birtherism, belief Obama was a secret muslim who conjured hurricane sandy with his muslim powers. Obama became more of a boogeyman than Bush became. 

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

The police, like the military, are under the control, regulation, direction, funding, and all relevant legislations to civilian government, by the "Washington Precedent," (as in the man, not the city) in almost all First World, and a fair number of Third World, Nations, and the separate, but equivalent and analogous, "Mao Precedent," in the PRC and a number of Far-Left Third World Revolutionary Nations. Military and police forces that regulate, fund, govern, and discipline themselves, completely autonomous of civilian governments, are breeding grounds for Third World military juntas and dictatorships, or tin-pot despotisms propped up only by "military support and advice." So, if civilians can't reform the police, there's a BIG problem there...

Long term, sure.  The people vote for the people who appoint the people in power.

But there hasn't been an election since the most recent causes for outrage, and thus the people have not had the opportunity yet to hold their current elected officials accountable.  This is not a fast process.

2 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

A little, but the government (with help from a complicit media) has already shifted attention away from that.  It's actually impressive how efficiently they moved the debate.  Very few people are actually in favor of cops choking people to death in the street. The Powers That Be can't win an argument in favor of that, but they have no intention of doing anything about it. So they have to change the narrative.  Next thing you know, the news is filled with stories of people demanding symbolic action. Removing statues, changing the names of military bases and sports teams, stuff like that.  They can win an argument on that, and even if they don't it doesn't matter. The Redskins become the Cyclones or whatever and the power structure continues as is.

• Upvote 1