270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Presidents Ranked by Voter Coaltion

Presidents Ranked by Voter Coalition

[Note: The below ranking is calculated by total popular vote, popular vote margin, popular vote compared to last party nominee, popular vote compared to subsequent party nominee, percent of electoral college won, low 3rd party turnout, and all of this in reelection. Presidents are scored only for when they were the party nominee during the first election as president and in their attempt at consecutive reelection.]

1. Washington
  2. LBJ 
  3. Eisenhower
  4. FDR
  5. Monroe
  6. Jefferson
  7. Grant
  8. Jackson
  9. Harding
  10. WH Harrison
  11. Reagan
  12. Th Roosevelt
  13. Obama
  14. Polk
  15. Lincoln
  16. McKinley
  17. Nixon
  18. GW Bush
  19. Wilson
  20. Pierce
  21. Cleveland (1st non-cons term)
  22. Coolidge
  23. JFK
  24. Hoover
  25. Madison
  26. Van Buren
  27. J Adams
  28. Clinton
  29. Truman
  30. Buchanan
  31. Carter
  32. Taylor
  33. Garfield
  34. GHW Bush
  35. Trump
  36. Cleveland (2nd non-cons term)
  37. Hayes
  38. Taft
  39. B Harrison
  40. JQ Adams

Ford, Arthur, A Johnson, Fillmore, and Tyler are not in this ranking. Fillmore ran 3rd party non-consecutively. Ford was never elected president, so the "reelection" bid doesn't count for this. 

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75

4 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Was a little surprised at first glance at Nixon being 17th. 

His first electoral win was kinda pathetic which brought him down 

12 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

Was a little surprised at first glance at Nixon being 17th. 

I could do something like this that doesn't groups all the elections seperately for each president. Thus Nixon could be like top 5 and a in the 20s or 30s. 

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

But it was a big improvement over what his party did the election before!

1 minute ago, pilight said:

But it was a big improvement over what his party did the election before!

Here's Nixon's 1968 calculations. Let me preface this that a president loses 3pts for something I mark dark red, 1pt for light red, and gains 1 pt for light green, and gains 3 pts for dark green:

• Popular vote: 43%  dark red
  • PV margin: 0% light red
  • PV margin with last nominee (Goldwater): 4 pts, light green
  • PV margin with next nominee (Ford): -5, light red
  • % of EC won: 56%, light green 
  • 3rd party support--a high number would mean a lack of appeal for Nixon as an alternate candidate to the other party; thus a failure to attract the voters in revolt: 14%, dark red

Overall, the 1968 election performance was rather weak, despite Vietnam protests and such, mainly because the Democrats were the majority party nationally since FDR. Eisenhower was more of an independent than a Republican. Nixon could have possibly lost 1968 if the election had been a week or two later. It was that much of a tossup. 

What shocked me most is that GW Bush came out better in the ranking than I thought he would. 

47 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@SilentLiberty @pilight what sort of presidential ranking should I do next?

Trips aboard to visit world leaders and visits from world leaders to the White House/Camp David (the States as a whole I guess because Trump has used his estates but I believe W. Bush used his ranch in Texas too) 

6 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Trips aboard to visit world leaders and visits from world leaders to the White House/Camp David (the States as a whole I guess because Trump has used his estates but I believe W. Bush used his ranch in Texas too) 

This likely increases with each president. I'll think about this one. I don't find rankings that increase with time that interesting. I think a graph would just have it going straight up for the most part. 

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

This likely increases with each president. I'll think about this one. I don't find rankings that increase with time that interesting. I think a graph would just have it going straight up for the most part. 

Apparently no U.S. President prior to Woodrow Wilson attending the Paris Peace Conference in 1918-1919 travelled abroad at all while they were in office (though a number did before and after leaving office). Taft fudged this twice, because he met Mexican President Porofino Diaz in a "floating island on the Rio Grande accessed by wooden planks and surrounded by curtains," to try and resolve the "Mexican Border War," and he went on holidays during lulls in official duty in a cottage in the lake country of Quebec his family owned. But Wilson really started the trend, which was previously practically unprecedented.

Teddy Roosevelt visited Panama to inspect the Canal while in office, the first president to leave the US while in power.

1 minute ago, pilight said:

Teddy Roosevelt visited Panama to inspect the Canal while in office, the first president to leave the US while in power.

Oh, my source neglected to mention that. Maybe they regarded the Canal Zone as already "American territory," and thought it "didn't count."

On 7/8/2020 at 11:52 PM, vcczar said:

How do you think Nixon would do in today's climate?

1 hour ago, billay said:

How do you think Nixon would do in today's climate?

He’s chameleon enough to still become a Senator (not in CA. He’d move.) I don’t think he’d be president. Maybe VP.