270soft Forum
Reagan04

Will Trump Drop out?

Will Trump Drop Out before the General Election?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump Drop Out before the General Election?

35 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think he's lost a lot of capital in his party, despite my agreeing with his rebellion. I think he's now just a NeverTrump icon. 

Yet I find it kind of funny (no, literally humorous) how many Democrats will go flocking to a Republican or former Republican when they have something bad to say about Trump. Romney marches with BLM and suddenly all the nasty things they said about him in 2012 go away. Same thing with the late John McCain, and with the Bushes. They don't like Trump, so all of the sudden their heroes. John Bolton writes a tell-all book and now MSNBC and CNN, liberal reporters who called him every "-ist" around during the Iraq War, now suddenly can't book him fast enough.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, servo75 said:

Yet I find it kind of funny (no, literally humorous) how many Democrats will go flocking to a Republican or former Republican when they have something bad to say about Trump. Romney marches with BLM and suddenly all the nasty things they said about him in 2012 go away. Same thing with the late John McCain, and with the Bushes. They don't like Trump, so all of the sudden their heroes. John Bolton writes a tell-all book and now MSNBC and CNN, liberal reporters who called him every "-ist" around during the Iraq War, now suddenly can't book him fast enough.

Well, the thing is that they are flocking to Romney, McCain, or Bolton only because these three figures are aligning with something that they already believe in. I'm sure Republicans would do the same with Manchin, Webb, or Doug Jones if they started opposing a Democratic version of Trump. 

You seem to think it is a wholesale endorsement of Bolton, Romney or McCain. That's black and white thinking. One can dislike Trump and dislike Bolton, but then dislike Trump more than the two of them. People can also dislike people for two different reasons. I, for one, greatly dislike Bolton, but I also trust him more than Trump. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

You seem to think it is a wholesale endorsement of Bolton, Romney or McCain.

No, in fact I'm saying quite the opposite. It's a "marriage of convenience." The whole point is that they're not endorsing these people, they're only going to them because they'll say bad things about Trump. As for your second paragraph, yes I think you're right about that, in fact it has happened recently. In fact, I'm glad you brought it up.

Alan Dershowitz comes to mind and is the perfect counter-example. He came in to defend Trump during the impeachment hearings even though he disagrees with almost all of Trump's policies. He was brave enough to stand up and say, "I may not like the President's policies but fair is fair." And the left-wing media EXCORIATED him for it. He's a liberal Democrat himself but crossed party lines (at least on the issue of impeachment) when he realized what the Democrats were trying to do was a legal sham. Unfortunately people like Dersh are a dying breed. Personally I disagree with his politics but I respect him for coming forward. Sadly there are also folks out there who think that someone must be, as was so eloquently put by another forum member, "drinking the Orange kool aid" if they're not bashing the President every 10 minutes. As in, you say ONE positive thing about the President and be forever branded a hateful, racist "Trumptard." The press doesn't see him (Dershowitz) as a principled person who may disagree with the President but on that one issue looks to the Constitution and tries to be fair. They see him as a turncoat. So what's why I said he's a counterexample - someone who IS on the left's side but they have no problem throwing him to the wolves and declaring him persona non grata the moment he has the nerve to not call Trump a white supremacist Nazi. There's no in-between for that type. But with Dershowitz, Fox News and other stations had him in before the impeachment, too. And he never attacked any Democrats (or Republicans) personally, he merely critiqued their impeachment process. It's not like he wrote a book called, "Bad Stuff About Obama" and overnight the Breitbarts and OANs came breathlessly to him for interviews. He's been consistent the entire time. But the mainstream media's policy seems to be, "If you say nice things about Trump you're bad, if you bash him you're good" regardless of whatever other political or personal inclinations you have. And that's not the job of journalists. That is why they earn the moniker "fake news," because they seem to favor or disfavor guests (or at least fine-tune the toughness of their questions) based on how pro or anti-Trump they are, an even a staunch liberal will get thrown under the bus in an instant if they go against that pre-defined paradigm.

• Upvote 2

There is absolutely no chance that Trump drops out IMO. It would be completely unprecedented for him to do so as a sitting president who easily won renomination by his party. 

While many liberals are already starting to believe Biden is a sure thing, I’m wary. Trump may not be an amazing president, but he ran one hell of a campaign in 2016 and absolutely dominated in the debates. Clinton came off as stiff as wood and elitist, and Biden is going to have to be careful not to underestimate a candidate as cunning as Trump. 

I’d go as far as to say that I’d be uncertain who might have won in 2012 between Trump and Obama. Trump’s disinformation campaign and general ability to speak to the American people is unrivaled, and he is an infinitely better campaigner than Romney ever was. Us Democrats have a lot of work to do, and even now I’m putting the odds at 70% Trump and 30% Biden. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2020 at 10:20 PM, Patine said:

Will they actually allow two senior citizens running for the apex executive office to debate each other personally in a public venue during the Covid-19 outbreak?

In short form, I see no reason why not.  As long as there are proper precautions (ie. no crowd, testing done for participants, social distancing), I see no reason why it cannot be done.  I have heard the idea of a teleconference style debate thrown around, but I still think that it can easily be done in person.  If my memory serves me right, the last primary debate between Biden and Bernie had similar protocols in place.

13 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

To be clear, the Trump camp did expect to lose. Trump was in disbelief when he won.

I was alluding to that being a possibility; at the very least, he thought the contest was an open race that could go either way.  Better to prepare for the worst, and possibly end up with best was probably his mindset.  I do recall his campaign staff saying that he knew that he had won based off of the exit polls, but that could easily just be the political smoke and mirrors kind of talk.

9 hours ago, admin_270 said:

It would be amusing to me if Trump actually withdrew, another Republican moved in, and the Republicans then won. 

To echo other commenters, if that happens then my view of Trump is completely wrong. I see it as less likely than in 2016, when many people were insisting this would happen.

In fact, I'm having deja vu with many comments over the last while on a variety of topics.

I see no potential contenders who could possibly take Trump's place as the Republican candidate for the general election.  I have doubts about the possibility of a successful Mike Pence candidacy given his hard social conservative views (but who knows, anything is possible).  Bill Weld doesn't have nearly enough name recognition in my mind, and it is far to late for another candidate, whether it be Cruz, Rubio, Kasich, etc., to get up to speed on the campaign trail.  It would be giving the election away, in my mind at least, to replace Trump as the Republican candidate for the Presidential election.  Besides, there is clearly a high level of voter enthusiasm among his base; the number of votes he has racked up in a meaningless primary is nothing short of impressive.

8 hours ago, admin_270 said:

What about ... Mitt Romney!!!!111111oneoneone

Romney would be one of the worst candidates that the GOP could ever nominate for a presidential run, for the near future at least.  People seem to forget his 41% remark, "binders full of women", and his generally poor ran campaign in 2012.  As a matter of fact, I recall reading that the Romney campaign barely even utilized social media in his Presidential run.  The Trump campaign was almost the polar opposite of Romney's, and it is hard to argue with results.  Not referring to political positions or any of the remarks that he has made with this comment, but I think that President Trump has forever changed the way the American political game will be played.  His campaign basically exemplified the old saying that "all publicity is good publicity", and his utilization of free social media platforms for easy exposure has no doubt changed the way that candidates will market themselves to their constituents going forward.  2016 was a blueprint on how to win Presidential elections going forward in my mind (in terms of strategy, not platform or crude remarks).

7 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

There is absolutely no chance that Trump drops out IMO. It would be completely unprecedented for him to do so as a sitting president who easily won renomination by his party. 

While many liberals are already starting to believe Biden is a sure thing, I’m wary. Trump may not be an amazing president, but he ran one hell of a campaign in 2016 and absolutely dominated in the debates. Clinton came off as stiff as wood and elitist, and Biden is going to have to be careful not to underestimate a candidate as cunning as Trump. 

I’d go as far as to say that I’d be uncertain who might have won in 2012 between Trump and Obama. Trump’s disinformation campaign and general ability to speak to the American people is unrivaled, and he is an infinitely better campaigner than Romney ever was. Us Democrats have a lot of work to do, and even now I’m putting the odds at 70% Trump and 30% Biden. 

My thoughts almost verbatim; I think the 2016 and 2020 elections are shaping up eerily similar.  Quite a few of the polls I have taken a deeper look at have compositions that oversample the D's (if I can find the information, at least).  Despite all of what has happened, President Trump has had a very impressive showing in a meaningless primary race, his base certainly is not lacking in enthusiasm at all.  Will that be enough to carry him across 270, who knows, but I think it is still way too early to make a serious projection regarding the outcome of the 2020 Presidential election.  I do think that Biden will have to speak out more at some point in the future, running a front-porch style campaign in the modern era is certainly a risky proposition.  It would be a mistake to rely on Trump's unpopularity alone to carry him across.  He risks losing voters just by having people forget about him in my mind.

I would be intrigued to see what would happen if say a Romney/Haley ticket replace Trump/Pence, Democrats may lose at that point. 

5 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I would be intrigued to see what would happen if say a Romney/Haley ticket replace Trump/Pence, Democrats may lose at that point. 

Pin on Game of Thrones

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Pin on Game of Thrones

I don't it's quite as remote as the extremities portrayed by a surrealist Armenian poet, but still highly unlikely... :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CPE said:

Romney would be one of the worst candidates that the GOP could ever nominate for a presidential run

Ya, that's what I was trying to convey with all the one's.

14 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, that's what I was trying to convey with all the one's.

@CPE

I wouldn't say he was the worst, but he was probably the least exciting candidate to run for office since....John Kerry. Romney was neither exciting nor had he an exciting platform or an exciting campaign. I think a worse candidate would have been Newt Gingrich and Michelle Bachmann. Gingrich would have been a infinitely smarter version of Trump, but I also think, because he'd be more competent, his impeachable offenses, once discovered, would be far worse. Gingrich is basically the Trump pre-cursor, a chaotic polemecist with extremely controversial behavior. Bachmann can't seperate Church from State, and she's even less intelligent than Trump. I think either of them would have led to an Obama 2012 landslide victory. Trump would have been landslided defeated in 2012 had he run then. 2016 was just the perfect time for Trump, mostly because he was facing Hillary Clinton, a long-term foe of conservatives since the 1990s. 

I''d say Romney was a bad candidate. I wouldn't say he's one of the worst. He didn't drive people away, but he didn't win them over either. McCain was better than Romney as a candidate, but McCain had no shot following GW Bush. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Gingrich is basically the Trump pre-cursor

I think this is somewhat right. Trump even consulted Gingrich pre his 2015-6 run.

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I''d say Romney was a bad candidate. I wouldn't say he's one of the worst.

Romney has lots of strengths. But he's weak as a politician. He simply doesn't have the (outside of looks) charisma, fleetness of foot, wit, ability to convey political integrity, and so on.

Just now, admin_270 said:

Romney has lots of strengths. But he's weak as a politician. He simply doesn't have the (outside of looks) charisma, fleetness of foot, wit, ability to convey political integrity, and so on.

Yeah, he's a robot. I remember trying to argue in 2012 that his charisma was too high in the 2012 scenario. 

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

McCain had no shot following GW Bush

Sure he did! You forget that the Dems had just nominated a former drug using, possibly covert Muslim, community organizer, guy with the middle name 'Hussein', freshman Senator.

McCain on the other hand was a war hero with a large amount of federal experience.

Or perhaps you mean McCain lost because he lacked the strategic depth and cool-handedness, including an irresponsible pick of Palin. Yes, in that sense McCain had no shot.

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, he's a robot. I remember trying to argue in 2012 that his charisma was too high in the 2012 scenario. 

It's because he looks like a Presidential candidate from movie casting. Probably should be reduced.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, servo75 said:

No, in fact I'm saying quite the opposite. It's a "marriage of convenience." The whole point is that they're not endorsing these people, they're only going to them because they'll say bad things about Trump.

Very succinct. The 'marriage of convenience' is also hypocritical - Romney is a bad guy who can't be trusted ... until he says something bad about Trump - then he's a paragon of virtue! Same but to a lesser extent with Bolton, et al.

4 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Very succinct. The 'marriage of convenience' is also hypocritical - Romney is a bad guy who can't be trusted ... until he says something bad about Trump - then he's a paragon of virtue! Same but to a lesser extent with Bolton, et al.

As opposed to the millions of people who voted for Romney and now consider him a bad guy who can't be trusted because he said something bad about Trump

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

If you reverse the two, maybe. I wouldn't mind seeing Haley in the top spot. But Romney blew it in 2012, he had a man in a much weaker position than Trump and basically threw the election because he was too nice to properly attack him. Romney is too much swamp.

Besides, changing horses at this point would be disastrous. It will be blood in the water.

3 hours ago, pilight said:

As opposed to the millions of people who voted for Romney and now consider him a bad guy who can't be trusted because he said something bad about Trump

I didn't vote for Romney, I was a write-in. I don't think he's a bad guy. He has something against Trump, whatever. It clearly shows in his actions but that's his right. I also think he's at best a milquetoast Republican without any clear principles. He all but threw the election, he had plenty of chance to beat a weakened Obama but after a good first debate all but threw the election because he was too nice. He never stood for principles. America was ready for a change but Romney was a worse campaigner than Hillary, if that's possible.

3 hours ago, pilight said:

Good point, @pilight !

Having said that, I think most Republican voters weren't really enthused about Romney. He was widely derided in Republican circles during 2012 as a phony and opportunist.

What, Trump admit defeat? Never! It's a psychological sucker-front. He's trying to lull us into a false sense of security! After all, he has the enemies of the United States prepared to help him win.

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

What, Trump admit defeat? Never! It's a psychological sucker-front. He's trying to lull us into a false sense of security! After all, he has the enemies of the United States prepared to help him win.

I must ask. With a lot of your posts in the last while, are you ACTUALLY talking about Donald Trump - or are you actually, instead referring to Doctor Victor von Doom?

• Haha 1

No, I'm definitely talking Trump. He's still going to put up a good fight, believe me.

5 hours ago, Patine said:

I must ask. With a lot of your posts in the last while, are you ACTUALLY talking about Donald Trump - or are you actually, instead referring to Doctor Victor von Doom?

Doctor Donald von Doom - I like it!

54 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Doctor Donald von Doom - I like it!

Degree “earned” at Trump University.