Jump to content
270soft Forum

Could DC Statehood be the driving issue of the General Election?


Recommended Posts

Could DC Statehood be the driving issue of the General Election? Think about it. The DC Statehood bill passed the US House along party lines. The Senate will not pick it up, and Trump vows to veto it if it does go through the US Senate. 

If Biden wins, and should this be a Blue wave election, DC Statehood seems very possible before midterms 2022. The House will pass it. The Senate might be a little harder to get through, but perhaps deals can be made with the two Democratic Senators that might vote against it. Biden would sign it. DC becomes a state assuring two US Senators for Democrats. 

The GOP might not be able to rally people around Trump, but they could rally some against Democrats "packing the US Senate"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two.  It’s greater than two states.  Fewer people live in DC than live in Alaska. I used to work in DC.  It is largely a commuter city.  People live in Maryland (as I did) or Virginia and commute

I think the DC Statehood issue would fire up Trump's voters more than Democrats. The threat of having 2 guaranteed Democratic seats in the Senate (and probably very far-left at that) would be a greate

Interesting case and point - in Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina, whose government structures are strongly based on the rough framework of that of the United States, their Federal Districts for their cap

3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Didn't realize how easy it is to create a new state!

Well, it' arguably easy. Some argue that a Constitutional Amendment would be needed and some say that it would not. 

DC statehood used to be a common campaign issue decades ago. 

They have the population for statehood. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, admin_270 said:

Why didn't the Dems do this in Obama's first term?

At the time, even Democrats didn't think it was necessary. It only becomes necessary when it seems like the GOP is controlling the US Senate. I admit that it is a completely partisan desire; however, DC does have a right to statehood if they want it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, admin_270 said:

Alright. We'll throw in Sask. as well.

Just because you on the West Coast are still bitter about not beating the Yanks in the Pig War doesn't mean you're throwing us to the dogs.

Oops, forgot there were Americans reading. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Just because you on the West Coast are still bitter about not beating the Yanks in the Pig War doesn't mean you're throwing us to the dogs.

Oops, forgot there were Americans reading. :P

The Union Jack still flies on San Juan Island, and will again fly there! 😍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SilentLiberty said:

I've only read or heard about DC statehood lately here from you. Take that for what you will.

and for @admin_270  

Party platforms: https://statehood.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/statehood/page_content/attachments/Historical-Overview-of-Party-Platforms-and-Statehood.pdf

Democrats from 1988 through 2000 had DC statehood in their platform. They had things leaning towards statehood at other times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SilentLiberty said:

I've only read or heard about DC statehood lately here from you. Take that for what you will.

Every political party affiliate running for DC Mayor and Council - the DC Democrats, Republicans, Greens, Libertarians, Socialist Labour, PES, and Umoja - all support DC Statehood in their local affiliate level, and only a few rare Independents - who get very few votes - oppose it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

and for @admin_270  

Party platforms: https://statehood.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/statehood/page_content/attachments/Historical-Overview-of-Party-Platforms-and-Statehood.pdf

Democrats from 1988 through 2000 had DC statehood in their platform. They had things leaning towards statehood at other times. 

I did say lately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

I did say lately. 

It was in Hillary Clinton's platform too. Oh, they voted on DC statehood today..It passed the US House. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

It was in Hillary Clinton's platform too. Oh, they voted on DC statehood today..It passed the US House. 

Yeah but like I said I've only seen you talking about it. Everything else is still pretty much Corona or BLM. Trump's interview with Hannity where he can't name a single thing for his second term is getting talked about a good bit too. 

Also unfortunately for DC Statehood a good number of the articles that are about it are talking about Tom Cotton and Wyoming...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Yeah but like I said I've only seen you talking about it. Everything else is still pretty much Corona or BLM. Trump's interview with Hannity where he can't name a single thing for his second term is getting talked about a good bit too. 

Also unfortunately for DC Statehood a good number of the articles that are about it are talking about Tom Cotton and Wyoming...

What about Tom Cotton and Wyoming? 

That's funny that Trump can't think of anything for his 2nd term. It sort of shows he's got no vision. He's boring and visionless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vcczar said:

What about Tom Cotton and Wyoming? 

That's funny that Trump can't think of anything for his 2nd term. It sort of shows he's got no vision. He's boring and visionless. 

How Cotton is against it, and is saying Wyoming is a "working class state" just kind of twisting the population argument I guess and coming across as a bit of an ass while doing it.

 

Yeah, I don't think he really wants the job, I think he wanted the attention and that's why he likes the rallies so much. Hannity was even pretty much holding his hand and offering snowball questions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No.  I consider myself to be a proud Democrat these days and even I don’t support DC statehood.  It’s a scam — one that helps Democrats, sure, but one that could be easily replicated by Republicans elsewhere.

Its certainly not “the” issue of this election, when Donald Trump is President.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think many people actually give a damn about DC Statehood, its just one of those niche issues that, when put on a platform, people are just like "sure, whatever, go ahead".

 

It should be avoided as a primary campaign issue, however, since it can be used to grab voters who will fall for the senate packing argument.

 

I still disagree with DC being a State though personally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Maybe add Alberta as a counterweight. 🤨

To be honest, most Canadian Tories I have met are very different from the traditional GOP supporters in the States.  Would be an interesting turn of events if the Wexit movement ever took off and had Alberta and Saskatchewan ending up in the US though...

Interesting to think about what would have happened had Cuba ended up as part of the United States though, or even Puerto Rico (as a state) for more modern times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

Yes! :P

Can we have BC and Ontario too? 

Would love to see the reaction of those in the GTA should that ever happen.  Would probably not be too pretty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

No.  I consider myself to be a proud Democrat these days and even I don’t support DC statehood.  It’s a scam — one that helps Democrats, sure, but one that could be easily replicated by Republicans elsewhere.

Its certainly not “the” issue of this election, when Donald Trump is President.

What do you think should be required for statehood? They have the population and, I assume, they desire it. Their population is greater than a few states. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...